Australian figure skaters | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Australian figure skaters

GF2445

Record Breaker
The Local State Government Member of Danielle O'brien's hometown of Strathfield in Sydney's inner west released a comment congratulating Danielle and Greg's qualification to the 2014 Sochi Olympic Games. Thanks to the Burwood Scene Local Paper for releasing these comments.

"Strathfield MP Charles Casuscelli congratulated Danielle and Greg saying, “They are the most decorated ice dance couple Australia has produced and now Strathfield’s figure skating queen and her partner are set to go one better in Sochi.”

Not since the halcyon days of legendary couple Jane Torvill and Christopher Dean has interest in figure skating in this country been this high he said.

“Those of us old enough to remember the extraordinary impact the British skaters had on the sport will know that a strong showing by Danielle and Greg next February will inspire a new generation of Australian ice skaters to take on the world’s best,” said Mr Casuscelli.

“I hope that Danielle and Greg enjoy an ideal preparation for the Games and wish them every success. They have already done a great deal to increase the profile of their sport in this country.” "

GF2445

Record Breaker
On a nice note, its cool to see that Tatsuki Machida is in the lead in the mens event at Skate America. Thoughgh he trains in the United States, he is coached by Australia's most accomplished figure skater ever in history- Anthony Liu.

GF2445

Record Breaker
The Second Live Performance of Battle of the Blades is now on Youtube! Time to watch before Skate America ;) Fingers crossed that there will be more people in the arena at Skate America.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The Local State Government Member of Danielle O'brien's hometown of Strathfield in Sydney's inner west released a comment congratulating Danielle and Greg's qualification to the 2014 Sochi Olympic Games. Thanks to the Burwood Scene Local Paper for releasing these comments.

"Strathfield MP Charles Casuscelli congratulated Danielle and Greg saying, “They are the most decorated ice dance couple Australia has produced and now Strathfield’s figure skating queen and her partner are set to go one better in Sochi.”

Not since the halcyon days of legendary couple Jane Torvill and Christopher Dean has interest in figure skating in this country been this high he said.

“Those of us old enough to remember the extraordinary impact the British skaters had on the sport will know that a strong showing by Danielle and Greg next February will inspire a new generation of Australian ice skaters to take on the world’s best,” said Mr Casuscelli.

“I hope that Danielle and Greg enjoy an ideal preparation for the Games and wish them every success. They have already done a great deal to increase the profile of their sport in this country.” "

How nice is that!!

GF2445

Record Breaker
Eventhough im loving the coversge at Skate America, if there continues to be more surprises my fantasy team on the Golden Skate predictions game will get nul points! (0 points)

Orange Cat

On the Ice
On a nice note, its cool to see that Tatsuki Machida is in the lead in the mens event at Skate America. Thoughgh he trains in the United States, he is coached by Australia's most accomplished figure skater ever in history- Anthony Liu.

Really? That's pretty cool! Machida is really impressing me this season :)

Thanks for all your updates and bits of trivia and news, GF! As a figure skating fan who is still rather outside the skating circles (I can stroke around a rink twice or three times before falling over haha and I don't know the coaches/Australian skaters except by following them online and at smaller events), I really do appreciate the way you help me stay updated :)

spikydurian

Medalist
Go go go Greg & Danielle. It's not easy to qualify for Sochi especially when skating rinks are rarer than skating parks in Australia. Big achievement. (Hope they get some kind of financial assistance to prepare them for Sochi too). Go put Oz on the ice skating map!:rock:

GF2445

Record Breaker
Really? That's pretty cool! Machida is really impressing me this season :)

Thanks for all your updates and bits of trivia and news, GF! As a figure skating fan who is still rather outside the skating circles (I can stroke around a rink twice or three times before falling over haha and I don't know the coaches/Australian skaters except by following them online and at smaller events), I really do appreciate the way you help me stay updated :)

Funny that you say that. I too am quite outside the skating circles in Australia. I initially watched because i loved how North Americans skated. I only follow on through social media and other things like that

Orange Cat

On the Ice
Funny that you say that. I too am quite outside the skating circles in Australia. I initially watched because i loved how North Americans skated. I only follow on through social media and other things like that

Well, you're much more on the social media ball than I am haha. And yes, that's how I started watching, too! (Also because the Vancouver Olympics coincided quite nicely with my first round of HSC assessment tasks...). I'll need to step up my engagement with social media, clearly :)

GF2445

Record Breaker
Just caught up on all the coverage at Skate America. My goodness, the quality of skating in general has lifted! Also, it was nice to see twice as many people attending in comparison to the first day of competition! It is very encouraging to see ore people in the stands- not full but better.

The Free Dance event in particular....what a hum digger of an event that was.

GF2445

Record Breaker
My goodness, i'm sitting in third place in the Golden Skate Grand Prix Predictions game! Ok guys, who do you think is a shoe in to win at Skate Canada?

GF2445

Record Breaker
Just a fun fact. Have a look and see who is currently second in the Men's ISU Season rankings?

If you don't know how to find the rankings, try to figure out who this skater is with the clues provided.

Clue 1 - He is currently sitting 55th in the overall rankings in the mens category.
Clue 2 - He trains in Riverside California under technician coach Tammy Gambill and Richard Dornbush is one of he training partners.
Clue 3 - He has landed the quad before and has a consistent triple axel
Clue 4 - This season, he has won a senior international B event, had two top five finishes in competitions and another top 10 finish as well.
Clue 5 - He is not a skater from the Americas, Africa, Europe or Asia (should be obvious right now!)
Clue 6 - (Should make it blightingly obvious) - This skater was previously coached by his mum and has a younger sister who competes internationally.

Who is he?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Just a fun fact. Have a look and see who is currently second in the Men's ISU Season rankings?

If you don't know how to find the rankings, try to figure out who this skater is with the clues provided.

Clue 1 - He is currently sitting 55th in the overall rankings in the mens category.
Clue 2 - He trains in Riverside California under technician coach Tammy Gambill and Richard Dornbush is one of he training partners.
Clue 3 - He has landed the quad before and has a consistent triple axel
Clue 4 - This season, he has won a senior international B event, had two top five finishes in competitions and another top 10 finish as well.
Clue 5 - He is not a skater from the Americas, Africa, Europe or Asia (should be obvious right now!)
Clue 6 - (Should make it blightingly obvious) - This skater was previously coached by his mum and has a younger sister who competes internationally.

Who is he?

*squeaks*

Oh my goodness, REALLY?!

GF2445

Record Breaker
In a nutshell, brendan won skate down under, finished 5th in both his JGPs and finished 8th at Nebelhorn, so brendan has competed alot already.

Also keep in mind that since the senior grand prix is on now, higher ranked skaters will be competing and will earn more points than what you can earn at a senior b or a Junior grand prix.
Also, brendan is 55th in the overall rankings so a massive improvement but has a ways to grow.

spikydurian

Medalist
Thanks GF2445. Interesting to see that most of the competitive skaters hail from NSW and Qld and NSW, What happened to the Victorian skaters?

Basing the skaters' ranking on TES does make sense as I don't think any skater can progress far without first getting their skating skills to a certain level.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Good luck to the three Dodds boys (Andrew, Jordan, and Matthew) and Paris Stephens at Cup of Nice! (Matt and Paris are our pairs team, and Andrew and Jordan are there for singles!)

lcd

Match Penalty
I am so glad to see the rising strength of Australia's programs. Would be very exciting to have more international events hosted there as well.
I remember when a Goodwill Games which was hosted there in the Kwan era, the athletes had such a memorable experience.