Senior Ladies SP | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Senior Ladies SP

desertskates

Medalist
I agree, while she looks NOTICEABLY skinnier than she did at the last GP event, she doesn't look unhealthy to me either.

I notice everyone mentions Frank - does he have a thing about thin skaters?

I also don't think she appears TOO thin, she's just slender. And I think off the shoulder necklines create a slimming effect, as well. I was surprisingly impressed with her program last night. Beautiful music, well-paced. But please lower that hair bun, Gracie.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Just watching Mirai's skate and a few (non-actual-skating) things:

Her dress is really pretty IMO. I like the light-to-dark blue.

Right after her routine when the commentary guy is talking about a partial ovation (around 3:32 in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0cqz5JjQKQ ) Mirai gets this expression on her face like "Yeah, I did just do that." and I was so happy for her.

Sackie

Medalist
I think it is evident the USFSA is starting to look beyond this year and into the next 4 year cycle. I am sure Ashley will go to the Olympics but by having other ladies beat her at Nationals it gives them a leg up when they go to other international events. I mean if they beat a skater who comes top 5 at worlds and Olympics then they must be good and the judges mark them up a bit and are more apt to overlook mistakes.

lovintabbs85

Rinkside
Just watching Mirai's skate and a few (non-actual-skating) things:

Her dress is really pretty IMO. I like the light-to-dark blue.

Right after her routine when the commentary guy is talking about a partial ovation (around 3:32 in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0cqz5JjQKQ ) Mirai gets this expression on her face like "Yeah, I did just do that." and I was so happy for her.

I was jumping up and down when she hit her final pose! Does anyone know who was accompanying her during the SP? Does she really not have a coach here?!

MIRAI, GRACIE AND ASH FOR SOCHI!!!!!! :biggrin:

YunaVN

Rinkside
Mirai nagasu is great in Short program today. the new boots really make her to bounce back and be the girl 4 years ago that "wow" us in the Olympic. I wish she could make the team this year. IMO, i want the USA podium to be Ashley W., Gracie G., and Mirai. It is sooo a pity that Polina Edmunds cannot go to the Olympic this year, what ashamed. However, the judges seemed to be not fair to Caroline Zhang. She deserves something better than that. Maybe all thing she should do now is quite skating that focus on her future aims, or else she will be US's Fumire Sugiri. Poor her. I remember those days that i screamed everytime when I saw her Pearl spin :(

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Mirai nagasu is great in Short program today. the new boots really make her to bounce back and be the girl 4 years ago that "wow" us in the Olympic. I wish she could make the team this year. IMO, i want the USA podium to be Ashley W., Gracie G., and Mirai. It is sooo a pity that Polina Edmunds cannot go to the Olympic this year, what ashamed. However, the judges seemed to be not fair to Caroline Zhang. She deserves something better than that. Maybe all thing she should do now is quite skating that focus on her future aims, or else she will be US's Fumire Sugiri. Poor her. I remember those days that i screamed everytime when I saw her Pearl spin :(

Why can't Polina go to the Olympics this year? She's age-eligible.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
under 16 is not eligible :( i think so, isn't it? tell me :D

Skaters must be 15 prior to the July 1st preceding the season in which the Olympics/Worlds/FCC/Europeans takes place. Polina was born on May 18th, 1998. Thus, she turned 15 this past May and is age-eligible.

YunaVN

Rinkside
Gosh I want those 4 for the olympic :((( damn :(( let's wait until FS, do you think if ashley earn 4th place would USFSA let her go?

Art&Sport

Medalist
To be fair, Polina skated last and that always helps. While she is coltish, her jump combo was so big, easy and smooth I had to rewatch to make sure it was a 3-3 and not a 3-2. If they are going to gift anyone it might as well be someone who can bring the goods to compete with the best in the world.

Polina is unproven senior internationally. No matter how well she might skate if she goes to the Olympics, she would be new on the senior scene and with the heavy duty talent internationally, Polina would be unlikely to be scored as high on PCS as she has been at Nationals. I don't even think many of the young Russian ladies deserve their high PCS scores.

Seems to me that with the scoring in the sp, USFS is taking a gamble on Mirai not performing as well in the fp. They apparently seem to prefer Polina and Gracie, even after all the heavy-lifting Ashley Wagner has done, and the medals Ashley won on the GP circuit. USFS is inconsistent to say the least. There's enough pressure to make the team without trying to topple one of your stars in preference for a coltish fresh-faced talent. Ashley did not tank, and should have been forgiven for that slight bobble. They certainly forgave Hannah Miller her fall on the 2-axel with her relatively high marks vs the low-balling of others for mistakes. They've done nothing to help Ashley's confidence, when they should be doing everything to bolster her.

All that said, if Ashley doesn't make the Olympic team or is sent in third place, that's NOT helping your team reach the podium, USFS.

ETA:

Yes, as it stands now, overall I'd have Ashley, Gracie, and Mirai, with Christina fourth and Polina fifth. But its looking like they want to give Gracie the win, especially with Frank by her side. They would surely dump on Mirai given the chance. Unfortunately Christina's nerves are her downfall. Christina has so much talent and she needs to flaunt it, and believe in herself and stay strong. Personally, I'm not in love with Polina's aggressive precociousness. Let Polina mature more and gain some experience next season on the senior GP circuit before just gifting her with an Olympic spot right off the bat, a spot by the way which Gracie and Ashley earned.

caseyl23

Rinkside
Maybe not for the Olympics, but USFS sent Kimmie Meissner to Worlds one year when she didn't finish in the top three.

I stand corrected – I'd forgotten about that year. I had a bad feeling I was going to put my foot in my mouth when I wrote that!
That's the only time I can think of, though, and there have been many other times when the USFSA could have made exceptions – Tonya Harding in 1993, Nicole Bobek in 1996, Jeremy Abbott, like I mentioned above, and those are just a couple examples off the top of my head. I still think, however, Ashley Wagner does not rise to the level of past exceptions they've made. Even in Kimmie Meissner's case, they sent a former world champion ahead of someone who's only prior senior experience came at Regionals and Sectionals. In this case, they're looking at a skater whose best performance was fourth place at Worlds. If U.S. Figure Skating ends up having to make that decision, I'd be more surprised if they did choose to take her.

That being said, I'll reiterate what I wrote before. I expect Ashley to move up in the free skate and earn her spot on the team. After the past couple years, I'd be shocked if she didn't. She might even still win the title if Gracie Gold falters (not unimaginable).

And for everyone who's saying Gracie was overscored – keep in mind, U.S. Figure Skating isn't just trying to send messages to its skaters. With the Olympics coming up, they've got to send messages to the international community, too. Gracie didn't make the Grand Prix Final, so with her scoring, U.S. judges might be trying to let the world know, "Hey, she's still here – she's one of our top guns, too." At this point, I almost think Gracie needs the U.S. title more than Ashley does, because Ashley's been competitive with most of the best skaters in the world this season. If she doesn't win Nationals, I still think she has the clout to score high internationally. If she doesn't win this title, I could see Gracie getting lost in the shuffle at the Olympics.

R.D.

Record Breaker
The issue is not so much that Wagner was underscored, but that Gold was overscored. 64 for Wagner is about right, given what she did, but Gold should have been ~3 pts lower.

But again I will not worry about nor fret about Wagner. She will be fine. Remember OGM winners Hughes and Lysacek were sent in the 3rd position...it is not the end. She just needs to keep a cool head and not let too much doubt creep in, that's all.

RABID

Final Flight
Polina is unproven senior internationally. No matter how well she might skate if she goes to the Olympics, she would be new on the senior scene and with the heavy duty talent internationally, Polina would be unlikely to be scored as high on PCS as she has been at Nationals. I don't even think many of the young Russian ladies deserve their high PCS scores.

Seems to me that with the scoring in the sp, USFS is taking a gamble on Mirai not performing as well in the fp. They apparently seem to prefer Polina and Gracie, even after all the heavy-lifting Ashley Wagner has done, and the medals Ashley won on the GP circuit. USFS is inconsistent to say the least. There's enough pressure to make the team without trying to topple one of your stars in preference for a coltish fresh-faced talent. Ashley did not tank, and should have been forgiven for that slight bobble. They certainly forgave Hannah Miller her fall on the 2-axel with her relatively high marks vs the low-balling of others for mistakes. They've done nothing to help Ashley's confidence, when they should be doing everything to bolster her.

All that said, if Ashley doesn't make the Olympic team or is sent in third place, that's NOT helping your team reach the podium, USFS.

ETA:

Yes, as it stands now, overall I'd have Ashley, Gracie, and Mirai, with Christina fourth and Polina fifth. But its looking like they want to give Gracie the win, especially with Frank by her side. They would surely dump on Mirai given the chance. Unfortunately Christina's nerves are her downfall. Christina has so much talent and she needs to flaunt it, and believe in herself and stay strong. Personally, I'm not in love with Polina's aggressive precociousness. Let Polina mature more and gain some experience next season on the senior GP circuit before just gifting her with an Olympic spot right off the bat, a spot by the way which Gracie and Ashley earned.

I'm of two minds with this. On one hand she is over-marked for sure. On the other hand that 3rd person is not going to be anywhere near the podium who ever she is. However some of the world's best skaters ever are going to be at Sochi giving their final performance. Someone like Polina seeing first hand the likes of Mao, YuNa, Carolina in one group and in the other group, her future competition could be very instructive and perhaps inspirational; priceless experience that is one time only. Her score may not be deserving but she has proved with her skating that she is indeed a true-blue future contender so, we'll see....

Kelisiting

Rinkside
caseyl23;817060 And for everyone who's saying Gracie was overscored – keep in mind said:
I absolutely agree with this statement. I think Gracie being scored so high is more of a way to make Gracie more reputable on the international circuit. When Ashley skates well, the international judges reward her appropriately. I think they are just trying to help boost Gracie's reputation. The third Olympic team member is most likely there for the experience, which might be why they pushed Polina into the mix. But we shall have to see how it plays out. I still have faith in Ashley to earn her place and not have it gifted to her.

Kissx3

Final Flight
First, I don't think USFS is holding any kind of political axe over Ashley's head. She's been the face of US ladies for years now, it is beyond obvious her spot is secure regardless of her placement at the moment.

Nor would I agree that they're waiting for the chance to sink Mirai. On the contrary, she would appear to be in something of an enviable position where they remain enamored with the girl and her skating and will give her the benefit of the doubt and the marks for a skate that looks clean enough.

But I also don't think Edmunds should even be in consideration. I can understand a young thing coming in, lighting up their first GP season and going on to Olympic glory, but nobody should be debuting at the Olympics. It's too much. And it would serve them well to knock the stars out of their eyes on scoring her. She's a junior skater, she skates her junior+ program like a junior skater. Program components are meant to reflect this. And you know, despite my feelings on it, if she were to blow away the rest of the field, fine, send her, but if she's just edging someone out of an OG spot on the strength of her second mark it's just bs.

Gigi13

On the Ice
I'm so happy for Mirai she did so good :yay: and I hope she delivers in the free program because I want her to make the team so badly. I'm so surprised by Gracie she skated very elegantly and sophisticated it was a good program from her and I was shocked whatever Frank did certainly paid off. Ashley did well but I know she could do better but I know no matter what her placement here is she's going to Sochi.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I stand corrected – I'd forgotten about that year. I had a bad feeling I was going to put my foot in my mouth when I wrote that!
That's the only time I can think of, though, and there have been many other times when the USFSA could have made exceptions – Tonya Harding in 1993, Nicole Bobek in 1996, Jeremy Abbott, like I mentioned above, and those are just a couple examples off the top of my head. I still think, however, Ashley Wagner does not rise to the level of past exceptions they've made. Even in Kimmie Meissner's case, they sent a former world champion ahead of someone who's only prior senior experience came at Regionals and Sectionals. In this case, they're looking at a skater whose best performance was fourth place at Worlds. If U.S. Figure Skating ends up having to make that decision, I'd be more surprised if they did choose to take her.

That being said, I'll reiterate what I wrote before. I expect Ashley to move up in the free skate and earn her spot on the team. After the past couple years, I'd be shocked if she didn't. She might even still win the title if Gracie Gold falters (not unimaginable).

And for everyone who's saying Gracie was overscored – keep in mind, U.S. Figure Skating isn't just trying to send messages to its skaters. With the Olympics coming up, they've got to send messages to the international community, too. Gracie didn't make the Grand Prix Final, so with her scoring, U.S. judges might be trying to let the world know, "Hey, she's still here – she's one of our top guns, too." At this point, I almost think Gracie needs the U.S. title more than Ashley does, because Ashley's been competitive with most of the best skaters in the world this season. If she doesn't win Nationals, I still think she has the clout to score high internationally. If she doesn't win this title, I could see Gracie getting lost in the shuffle at the Olympics.

The big fear is that Gracie wins and the world thinks well obviously neither girl is that solid or consistent to be a top contender.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
Ashley will be on the podium even if it is 3rd. She skates her best when she is behind. Marai always does well in the short and than bombs in the long and she does not hold that big a point edge. My predictions are: Gracie-gold, Polina Silver and Ashley Bronze. Why would they not send those 3 to the Olympics? Gracie and Polina are the future of US skating and Ashley has earned it. Problem that I have seen in the past is that so many younger talented skates always got left at home and never gained that international experience.