2014 Olympics Pairs Short Program | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Pairs Short Program

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
(russian inflation again I guess?)

Conspiracy theorist! :sarcasm: There's no Russian inflation going on in Russia. These Olympics have been suitably and fairly judged and no Russians have benefited from inflated scores, and anything otherwise is just blatant Russiophobia. :laugh: :rolleye:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I stopped really paying attention to Pairs for a long time because so often it seemed more like a Fall Fest than anything else. But this competition--whoever you are rooting for--was a real pleasure to watch. Looking forward to tomorrow.

PS: And a first individual medal for an American woman in luge. Which is also worth a cheer!

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Yes, it should be really close between S/S and V/T no doubt. S/S are definitly better in TR and CH (and I'd say much better in TR), they're at least equal in IN and I'd personally say on PE and SS too, but especially with SS I'm not that sure.
Both teams have overall strong technical elements, V/T's twist is a little better but S/S should score higher on the SBS jumps. I think both teams should have been around 80-81, and maybe S/S should have even been ahead a little.

I'm no tech expert, but S/S getting a level 2 on their death spiral looks about as right as Carolina Kostner getting a level 3 for her steps. That's these small things that make me think the judging here is especially bad, even if figure skating judging rarely is really good.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think Marissa and Simon should feel really good about their effort today. They are actually within striking distance of the other pairs and could move up a spot or two. Here's hoping for a good FS!

Zhang/Bartholomay could move up as well. In general, they can skate a good FS.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Conspiracy theorist! :sarcasm: There's no Russian inflation going on in Russia. These Olympics have been suitably and fairly judged and no Russians have benefited from inflated scores, and anything otherwise is just blatant Russiophobia. :laugh: :rolleye:

Russia deserved TE gold and V/T in the lead
get over it

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I'm no tech expert, but S/S getting a level 2 on their death spiral looks about as right as Carolina Kostner getting a level 3 for her steps. That's these small things that make me think the judging here is especially bad, even if figure skating judging rarely is really good.
No, I think those two calls were correct: S/S didn't hit all the required feautures for the level, I noticed it even without slow-motion, and Carolina had a couple of small mistakes (for example she missed one twizzle) that affected the level... No conspiracy here for me :biggrin:

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
I, too, would have flipped the Canadians, but the results aren't "out to lunch" at least. Should be a great final. Interesting question: should S/S do the 3ax. I guess it all depends how consistent it is.

Kunstrijdster

Rinkside
I think something between a 2-3 point lead for V/T would be more reflective of the performances. 4.5 points make it very hard to stay in the race for gold. Add the 3 or 4 points that V/T will be ahead in PCS in the free and you are virtually more than 8 points behind going into the long. I can't see S/S making up that much ground without V/T majorly bombing. And if those stay clean they are deserving winners, JCS programme notwithstanding.

amateur

Final Flight
I don't have any problem with the placements or scores, except for B/L who surely should have been behind the American team and not so close to 70 points? He doubled the SBS, and PCS-wise there is a roughness here and there. And what kind of program was that? "Life is Beautiful" transitioning into... "Belelgeuse" soundtrack or something?? Not good.

Favourite program was Pang/Tong. that was beautiful, such beautiful music and well interpreted. 4th place about right, considering the UR on the side-by-side, yet the clear superiority in quality and artistry over the 2 Canadian teams.

Second favourite might have been S/K from Russia, in fact. (Kurt Browning doing CBC commentary seemed to really be impressed by that performance too). They ended up winning me over me even though at first, part way through the program, I thought I didn't know what they were going for.

Third favourite might have been the American team C/S, which were a surprise for me.

Mt/M in 6th was about right. That program is cute and "different", but it is missing something, or they lack something (other than personality) to really make it sing. So that, instead, makes something feel awkward that you can't quite but your finger on. There was clapping for them in one section somewhere in the middle, but not an enormous applause at the end, as if overall people want to like it but it falls flat somehow.

D/R not their absolute best, and came off a little less good following the Russians S/K I found, compared to how they looked the other night. But they still got it done. They DO have more going for them than the SBS lutzes. I for one do think their program is better than Mt/M's

S/S - They hit their program, but I thought that as a program it was really not very good (if we are talking Olympic-podium levels here), other than the excellent excellent elements. Probably weaker than the rest of the top 5. It showed lack of polish and not a consistent energy or interpretation level.. this is quite understandable given that it was a last-minutes fabrication, and of course they performed quite well considering that... But that the weaknesses should not be overlooked in scoring a tight competition as this one. Overall, while still second on the strentgh of their amazing elements, I might have had this program scored down a couple of points closer to S/K's. Not to say that V/T deserve a bigger gap than they have (that's an issue with the system, though)

V/T did what they had to do, they nailed it. Don't feel anything in particular for the program except that it probably does carry the right amount of command of the ice that befits their position. So bravo to them.

elif

Medalist

I'm not saying this for S/S but I'm glad all those ugly death spirals got bad scores.:) Only teams got level4: Volosozhar/Trankov, Pang/Tong, Berton/Hotarek and Peng/Zhang (out of 20):clap:

Who would you have first after today's performance? V/T or S/S?

Technical elements:

Savchenko/Szolkowy
th3F +2 (enormous)
3Tw +1 (not huge but solid catch, decent flow)
3T +2 (short entry, very close together, good flow out)
BiDs +3 (I've never seen this kind of combination of good position, flow, speed and strong edge - I am surprised they only got Lv2 but then I was paying attention to the quality of execution and not the features when watching so I am not complaining)
PCoSp +2
5RLi +1 (a little hesitant changing positions perhaps)
StSq +2

Volosozhar/Trankov
3Tw +2 (gigantic but this time the catch was a little late so no +3)
3T +1 (clean but entry longer and further apart than S/S)
th3Lo +3 (incredible height and distance, perfectly balanced landing)
BiDs +2
PCoSp 0 (good at the start but slightly off-centred and slow after the change of foot)
5RLi4 +1 (maybe +2, don't remember it well enough right now but Trankov's footwork in the lifts tends to be a bit scary)
StSq +2

So a bit of an advantage for S/S on the GOE but then V/T have higher levels.

Program Components:

I'd have S/S clearly ahead on TR and CH, ahead on SS, slightly ahead on PE and a little bit ahead on IN I guess? I dunno, PCS hurt my head given there's no clear marking criteria. :/

Of course, scores for both teams would be way lower because giving out 9s, 10s and +3s like candy is just :rolleye:.

leoncorazon

Skating on through
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Glad everyone skated so well...can't wait to watch tonight...

and who would have thought the pairs would be so exciting...oh ya that was me :laugh:

Do we know the long program order yet? If S/S go first I think they should ditch the 3 axel and put the pressure on the Russians...if the Germans follow the Russians and the Russians are clean they should go for it.

dress

On the Ice

Explain plushenko's PCS LOL

BounceAround

On the Ice

I'm no tech expert either, but I believe the levels in the ladies' step sequences were lower than usual because all steps must be executed "cleanly and with good control" (or something like that). That part is certainly subjective, and the technical panel here may have higher standards than usual. I remember Savchenko and Szolkowy's extremely difficult step sequence from their "Angels and Demons" short program got a level 1 on its first outing because the steps were deemed to messy.

Of course why they chose to be extra picky on this aspect is up for debate, but...

Grand Prix Final SP was also a clean event. And pretty much amazing! I'm so curious if S/S will go for T3A.

S/S must realise there is now no way they can win gold so knowing them, they will probably go for the th3A just to show they are not giving up (given they have nothing to lose). And then they will fall on it and end up 3rd behind Stolbova/Klimov. :p

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I'm rooting for S&S to win because 1.) That would be great for Germany to gain the first OGM in Pairs and 2.) That would put to rest the claims regarding a possible judge fix.

Still I'd be fine with V/T winning if they win with a great FS.

Sure as long as we balance it then with V and M beating D and W. Got to keep things balanced lol:)

cptnhastings

On the Ice
The order is out for the free skate. S/S are last, so I assume they'll go for the Th3Axel if V/T skate cleanly, and if they don't, then S/S might do the salchow instead. Order works in their benefit.

I'm trying to educate myself on death spiral levels. This is what I found below on a usfigureskating page. Looks like #2 is given to everyone in SP? I don't see how any pair that changed arm holds for a rev. would get a level 2 unless they didn't have a difficult entry or stopped after one revolution? How did M-T/M get a level one? Was she not in a "low position"?

(I follow figure skating a good deal, and this is really confusing to me. I don't know how the once in four year people understand anything.)

1) Difficult entry (immediately preceding the death spiral) and/or exit
2) Change of man’s pivot position (not for SP)
3) Change of lady’s and/or man’s arm hold (1 rev. with each hold)
4) Additional revolution(s) of the lady after the first revolution (counts as many times as repeated)
Features 3 and 4 are counted only if both partners
are in “low” positions (see Clarifications in 1611)