2014 Olympics Ladies Free Skate | Page 99 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Ladies Free Skate

Darnella2005

Rinkside
The "technical" argument smacks me as false. If Yuna's technical performance wasn't up to snuff, then why didn't she lose to Mao in Vancouver? The reason Yuna has been able to set world records is that she gets incredible GOE bonuses on her technical elements, not because she performs the most or most difficult triples. It is her jumping technique as much as the content of her programs that has set her apart in competitions.

:clap:

zschultz1986

Final Flight
Correct. Kostner deserved those -GOEs. Mao will get -GOE for all her URs. The judges aren't blind and see those jumps.

Sotnikova's last combo yes, -GOE, but not as harsh as some people here think it should be. It was a triple double double with an overcooked last double. It wasn't UR or anything, just overrotated. The judges have to take into account the entire element (not just the last double in the combo) and apart from that last overcooked jump it was a fabulous element. Skaters still get +GOE bullets for elements and that can work against deductions to lessen the impact. It's why a skater may do a quad and have a scratchy landing, but still get BV (instead of -GOE) for it. Some of Mao's Two Footed double axels in the past have been scored similarly.

You're not going to convince us there was no home cooking and that Adelina didn't get gifted that gold. A broad consensus of Fans, Commentators, etc. believe Adelina was grossly over-scored, and she was. She deserved a medal, but not gold.

lksunga

Rinkside
I'll wait and see how Sotnikova proves herself later. If she's the oly gold worthy one, she shall make the world championship and even another gold in oly. We shall see.

Shack

Spectator
How is that possible? Adelina could have flat out fallen on one jump and still have a higher BV in jumping than Yuna Kim. She had 1 WHOLE TRIPLE more than Yuna and even with a FALL on one it is more than 0 points. Yuna was at a BV deficit of several points compared to Sotnikova because:

1. No Triple Loop
2. Spin Levels
3. FW Levels

What Logic are you trying to use to give anyone the impression that Yuna's BV is higher than Adelina's jumping or combined. Adelina's Spins are clear level 4's. Yuna's aren't. If you know the criteria, you could see in real time that Yuna gave points away to Sotnikova in spinning. I said weeks (months) ago that Yuna was going into the Olympics at a deficit for not having that Triple Loop and not improving her spinning. She needed it. You people were standing around with fingers in your ears yelling "Yuna is PERFECTION." Whatever...

Even if it wasn't Adelina... If Asada had hit her SP and then delivered the same LP from the last group of the night, she probably would have vanquished Yuna because technically she was simply more prepared to compete with the more athletic skaters out there... If Kostner didn't have so many tight landings she could have taken that Gold medal herself. She actually beat Sotnikova's PCS by more than 0.09 and she had a 7 triple program. She just gave away too much in the GOE.

I think people just HATE the fact that Sotnikova won. Why? Do you own Yuna Kim stock?

Thank you for your insight but to me it is quite simple. Adelina has a more technically difficult program but the tradeoff is she would lose points if she skated it worse. Which she clearly did both from having a clearcut mistake and not having Kim and Carolina's gifts in artistic/flowing skating and choreography. But the judges said she skated it as well or better. So how can we justify this?

Matilda

Medalist
"The Korean one?":disapp: Rude, that, when every single writer here, however rude otherwise, calls the athletes by their names... "Stupid program?" :laugh:

Kyllä huomaa, että olet suomalainen, tyypillistä luolamies-keskustelupalstatasoa. Täällä ilkeätkin kirjoittajat sentään käyttävät tyylikästä kieltä. Hävettää.

Älä muuta viserrä!

Nater

Match Penalty
According to the NYT graphic linked earlier, the only jump Yuna got a better GOE on was her opening Lutz Toe Loop combination. On every other jump Adelina was given more bonus points. And again, Yuna has the greatest jumping form in the sport. Her jumps are the reason for her success. That is why Julia was so hyped to begin with---because her flexibility was something Yuna could not compete with.

The reason why Sotnikova was so hyped back in 2012 was because she had HUGE JUMPS and Great Spins.

The reason why Sotnikova wasn't successful until recently is because she was WILDLY INCONSISTENT.

Yuna cannot even compete with Gracie Gold for spinning so I'm not sure why anyone needed to hype up Lipnitskaya because she was a great spinner... The reason why Lipnitskaya was hyped up is because she was competing like a machine. It's almost as if she was impervious to pressure and she had high difficulty programs and spins that could easily score +3 GOE which is a huge advantage over other skaters who do spins as if they are an afterthought (hi Ashley Wagner).

If this makes you sour then just stop watching figure skating cause the next 4 years the US and Russia will have a whole army of skaters coming up custom-built (lol) to exploit the IJS to their advantage.

I am pissed off that Mao's spinning ability has degraded so much. That last spin in her program was terrible. I thought she was going to wipe out and it looked like it was going to start doing illusions right when she went into it.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
How is that possible? Adelina could have flat out fallen on one jump and still have a higher BV in jumping than Yuna Kim. She had 1 WHOLE TRIPLE more than Yuna and even with a FALL on one it is more than 0 points. Yuna was at a BV deficit of several points compared to Sotnikova because:

1. No Triple Loop
2. Spin Levels
3. FW Levels

What Logic are you trying to use to give anyone the impression that Yuna's BV is higher than Adelina's jumping or combined. Adelina's Spins are clear level 4's. Yuna's aren't. If you know the criteria, you could see in real time that Yuna gave points away to Sotnikova in spinning. I said weeks (months) ago that Yuna was going into the Olympics at a deficit for not having that Triple Loop and not improving her spinning. She needed it. You people were standing around with fingers in your ears yelling "Yuna is PERFECTION." Whatever...

Even if it wasn't Adelina... If Asada had hit her SP and then delivered the same LP from the last group of the night, she probably would have vanquished Yuna because technically she was simply more prepared to compete with the more athletic skaters out there... If Kostner didn't have so many tight landings she could have taken that Gold medal herself. She actually beat Sotnikova's PCS by more than 0.09 and she had a 7 triple program. She just gave away too much in the GOE.

I think people just HATE the fact that Sotnikova won. Why? Do you own Yuna Kim stock?

Please don't try to keep yourself in denial. BTW for the last sarcasm, "Do you own Yuna Kim stock?" are you by any chance being Putin's gay lover, aren't you?

Nater

Match Penalty
You're not going to convince us there was no home cooking and that Adelina didn't get gifted that gold. A broad consensus of Fans, Commentators, etc. believe Adelina was grossly over-scored, and she was. She deserved a medal, but not gold.

This is the wrong place to try to convince anyone of anything. That's not my agenda. I am just giving my observations.

See you in 4 years.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty

Under the strict judging, that wasn't a given either though Adelina did well in free.

sk8in

Match Penalty
Yuna's jumps had higher base value individually than Sotnikova's, and she was not awarded appropriately with GOEs. Again, Sotnikova did one clean lutz and one clean flip, as opposed to Kim's very well executed 2 lutz and 1 flip. The TES of Sotnikova's jumps was higher, but again, Kim's GOE should have been higher than it was.
And again:
"Kim earned 74.50 points in her program component score (PCS) for artistry and choreography, 0.09 point better than Sotnikova"
How do you distinguish between the two with less than a tenth of a point on components?

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I still can't believe it,

The judges had 3 World champions from the last quad, All fresh off the Worlds podium, Fan favourites, Veterans, One is current GPF champion, One is current Olympic champion

All skating lights out(!) in the Free skate,

And they choose to reward the night to the Russian champion, No credentials, Who was neglected at the team event, was there to pick up the pieces after Lipnitskaya's fall in the SP, isn't known for major PCS scores like the others,

She competed great, She was clean, She was Russian, The crowd responded only to her (And to Mao a little, But she wasn't a threat at that point) and that was enough to have her feed dust to all of the legends by approx. 6 points(!) ...

Because she had a couple of level 4's opposed to the others level 3s ?!?!?!?!?

That's a point, Maybe a point and a half....
I'd challenge any judge to go through the programs now and show me her levels.

whatif

Medalist
I also wanted to point out how positive and unbiased was commentary on the Russian feeds. Tarasova was on one channel, Trankov was on the other, and Slutskaya on another. Particularly, TAT was literally sobbing during Mao's skate and could not stop complementing and thrilled for Carolina.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Mao should have won the LP, period. Followed by maybe Caro. I seriously dislike the PCS for Adelina. All were great, but those PCS for Adelina and for Mao are just beyond me.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I also wanted to point out how positive and unbiased was commentary on the Russian feeds. Tarasova was on one channel, Trankov was on the other, and Slutskaya on another. Particularly, TAT was literally sobbing during Mao's skate and could not stop complementing and thrilled for Carolina.

That's lovely, I love how all the skaters and proffesionals are showing they're invested in everyone :)

Jewels

On the Ice
In the protocols, Adelina got more than one point in every element as goe. Yuna's jumps that got more than a point were only 3lz-3t, 3s-2t. I'm not a figure skating expert, but I can't understand why Yuna got level three on her step, and those pcs scores are just a joke. What more I can't understand is how Adelina got a score that was just 0.11 points behind Yuna's world record. Really? Was it that good?

dlgpffps

Final Flight
Yu-na, Mao and Carolina are heads and shoulders above Adelina and Julia. The judges devalued some of the greatest qualities of skating by propping up the home girls and placing all five on equal footing. IMHO the two can't hold a candle to the Big Three's basic skating skills, choreographic nuances and pure quality.

Infinite respect to Yu-na Kim. If her interviews are any indication, she clearly knew that the judging odds were against her favor, but she still delivered like the champ she is. Another OGM would have sealed her reputation as the indisputably greatest skater in history, but even with an OSM she is still in the stratosphere of the historical greats. She defines COP skating at its greatest for me. I thank her for her courage and pure talent. It was a great pleasure to have been her fan girl.

Both Carolina and Mao made me tear up. Carolina can now shake off her previous two ghastly Olympics. After her skate, Lori Nichol said something to the effect of "Now do you believe in yourself?" and Carolina’s career just sped through my mind. For her rocky career to culminate in two of the best skates of her life – it was so cathartic and uplifting. For Mao, however, I'm afraid Torino will haunt her for the rest of her life. At least she was able to redeem herself with what was probably one of the greatest comebacks in Olympic history, but she is too great of a talent to not be decorated by the sport’s Holy Grail achievement. Again, like with Carolina, I was reminded of her rollercoaster career which I had followed with exasperation and affection, as I cried along with her.

It’s amazing to have followed and cheered on these three ladies. I don’t think I’m ready to let them go, but I hope them the best in whatever lies ahead of them. So many great moments and memories to cherish.