2014 Olympics Ladies Free Skate | Page 98 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Ladies Free Skate

zschultz1986

Final Flight
You misunderstood me, I agree with you, the judging was a joke, Adelina was given a gift. This is why ice dancing needs to go, you know next olympics, it will be russians winning again. At least in figure skating, the judges cannot totally overlook a fall, but in ice dancing, what can you penalize?? Not much.

Ah. My apologies.

Venee

Rinkside
Quote Originally Posted by Nater View Post
No offense, but the Russians could have said the same in 2002, and if we want to be honest did Michelle Kwan really deserve to defeat Slutskaya's technical clinic in that SP, especially with judges giving her scores as low as 5.6 for technical merit?

You people were accusing the US of colluding with Russian for Team and Dance Gold Medals and now you're quoting Joe Inman who says he doesn't care if a Lutz is a Flutz or not among other idiotic things and using it as proof of cheating? Give me a break, please.
No, Kwan didn't deserve to win the SP given her 3flip was cheated and her timing was clearly off on the step sequence. What does 2002 have to do with any of this, though? Two wrongs make a right?

Don't want to make it a Kwan Slutskaya debate but IMO and apparently the judges as well that rank was correct. Michelles overall elements, stroking, ease on the ice, line, were what set her apart from Slutskaya. Michelles Rach program is an all around classic. Irinas program lacked the flow and cohesiveness of Kwans short. I didn't notice any timing off on her step sequence from the tape. Frankly I'm quite sure judges don't pay as much attention to that as they should. If they did there would be some very different scores across the board for these skaters. I come from the classical music world and one of my pet peeves with many skaters is the lack of their connection to their music (much of this I put on the choreographers shoulders).

Ven

Match Penalty
To the people who said Adelina should win because of her jumps and Yuna lacked 3Lo...

Mao Asada 8 clean triples with 3A scored 142
Russian with 7 triple program and 1 botched jump scored 149

whatif

Medalist
No I am saying the judges gutted Yuna's GOE score, and gave Adelina a free pass on components, which is where half the points come from. Yuna's jumps had a higher base values than Adelina's and were executed flawlessly. The entire point of the ISU system is to consider exactly that kind of situation. If a skater does 7 toe loops in a competition, and has clunky form---the skater who performs a triple axel a flip and a lutz with text book execution is supposed to be able to make up the points. The TES is fine---but it isn't supposed to be the basis of the final score. And again, considering the components, and Costner's elegance---it isn't even HALF the score. Again, Adelina was handed the gold medal by sleazy anonymous---formerly suspended---judges.

According to protocols, Yuna got higher GOE on most o her jumps than Adelina? In fact Adelina is the only among top 4 FS finishers with negative GOE on one of her elements. I would hardly call that gutting?

whatif

Medalist
To the people who said Adelina should win because of her jumps and Yuna lacked 3Lo...

Again she did not have 8 triples.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Ashley is disgruntled with these Olympics due to the fact that she didn't medal. Do you think that she would give a dam about the scoring if she had reached the podium. For once I give Gracie credit when she said that she is pleased with the Olympics and didn't have any problems with it.

Ashley seemed pretty pleased with her LP score, even though she must have known it wasn't likely going to move her up to the podium. So no, I don't think she's just bitter/jealous/sour grapes/whatever. I'm not the slightest bit surprised someone's claimed this, though, as it seems to be a common accusation lately whenever anyone, fan or skater, questions or even slightly criticizes anything.

She's pretty much saying what a lot of die-hard fans have been saying for years. If fans are thinking it, it's not the slightest bit odd that skaters are. They're the ones dedicating their lives to this sport.

aa456

On the Ice
Again she did not have 8 triples.

she got credited for 6 rotated triples (which includes a triple axel) and 2 under-rotated triples. I believe her base value was still higher than Sot with those error.

Nater

Match Penalty
No I am saying the judges gutted Yuna's GOE score, and gave Adelina a free pass on components, which is where half the points come from. Yuna's jumps had a higher base values than Adelina's and were executed flawlessly. The entire point of the ISU system is to consider exactly that kind of situation. If a skater does 7 toe loops in a competition, and has clunky form---the skater who performs a triple axel a flip and a lutz with text book execution is supposed to be able to make up the points. The TES is fine---but it isn't supposed to be the basis of the final score. And again, considering the components, and Costner's elegance---it isn't even HALF the score. Again, Adelina was handed the gold medal by sleazy anonymous---formerly suspended---judges.

How is that possible? Adelina could have flat out fallen on one jump and still have a higher BV in jumping than Yuna Kim. She had 1 WHOLE TRIPLE more than Yuna and even with a FALL on one it is more than 0 points. Yuna was at a BV deficit of several points compared to Sotnikova because:

1. No Triple Loop
2. Spin Levels
3. FW Levels

What Logic are you trying to use to give anyone the impression that Yuna's BV is higher than Adelina's jumping or combined. Adelina's Spins are clear level 4's. Yuna's aren't. If you know the criteria, you could see in real time that Yuna gave points away to Sotnikova in spinning. I said weeks (months) ago that Yuna was going into the Olympics at a deficit for not having that Triple Loop and not improving her spinning. She needed it. You people were standing around with fingers in your ears yelling "Yuna is PERFECTION." Whatever...

Even if it wasn't Adelina... If Asada had hit her SP and then delivered the same LP from the last group of the night, she probably would have vanquished Yuna because technically she was simply more prepared to compete with the more athletic skaters out there... If Kostner didn't have so many tight landings she could have taken that Gold medal herself. She actually beat Sotnikova's PCS by more than 0.09 and she had a 7 triple program. She just gave away too much in the GOE.

I think people just HATE the fact that Sotnikova won. Why? Do you own Yuna Kim stock?

Shack

Spectator

Somehow Adelina scored so well the gap between her and Mao performance = between Mao and Gracie/Yulia :laugh:

zschultz1986

Final Flight
According to protocols, Yuna got higher GOE on most o her jumps than Adelina? In fact Adelina is the only among top 4 FS finishers with negative GOE on one of her elements. I would hardly call that gutting?

Wrong. Mao got some Negative GoE, as did Caro.

sk8in

Match Penalty
According to the NYT graphic linked earlier, the only jump Yuna got a better GOE on was her opening Lutz Toe Loop combination. On every other jump Adelina was given more bonus points. And again, Yuna has the greatest jumping form in the sport. Her jumps are the reason for her success. That is why Julia was so hyped to begin with---because her flexibility was something Yuna could not compete with.

CarneAsada

Medalist

That difference isn't just the Russian getting overscored though. It's Mao Asada getting underscored by about 8 points (credit for the triples firstly and 3 points more in components besides).

Nater

Match Penalty
Wrong. Mao got some Negative GoE, as did Caro.

Correct. Kostner deserved those -GOEs. Mao will get -GOE for all her URs. The judges aren't blind and see those jumps.

Sotnikova's last combo yes, -GOE, but not as harsh as some people here think it should be. It was a triple double double with an overcooked last double. It wasn't UR or anything, just overrotated. The judges have to take into account the entire element (not just the last double in the combo) and apart from that last overcooked jump it was a fabulous element. Skaters still get +GOE bullets for elements and that can work against deductions to lessen the impact. It's why a skater may do a quad and have a scratchy landing, but still get BV (instead of -GOE) for it. Some of Mao's Two Footed double axels in the past have been scored similarly.

QuadLutz

Rinkside
seriously! why russian skaters were so underrated. the korean one should have been placed below mao!!! stupid program in my opinion.

in your face, haters. you should rq!!!

russia won eazy breezy gg.

"The Korean one?":disapp: Rude, that, when every single writer here, however rude otherwise, calls the athletes by their names... "Stupid program?" :laugh:

Kyllä huomaa, että olet suomalainen, tyypillistä luolamies-keskustelupalstatasoa. Täällä ilkeätkin kirjoittajat sentään käyttävät tyylikästä kieltä. Hävettää.

yuki

Final Flight
she got credited for 6 rotated triples (which includes a triple axel) and 2 under-rotated triples. I believe her base value was still higher than Sot with those error.

Mao's BV was almost 5 points higher than Adelina's and she got the 2nd highest TES score of the night (after Adelina). She beat Yulia in TES by 6.75 points. With that in mind, seeing how she was scored in PCS relative to Yulia and Adelina just makes me angry. 5th PCS of the night (behind all of Yuna, Adelina, Carolina and Yulia) is a joke IMO.