People should say something about the cyberbullying against Sotnikova | Golden Skate

People should say something about the cyberbullying against Sotnikova

cheerio2

On the Ice
I just read about the death threats, comments telling Adelina to kill herself, and other attacks on her personal Instagram account and was appalled. :eek: This has completely crossed the line. There is no absolutely no justification for cyberbullying, especially of a child. Yuna is the only person who can talk some sense into these people at this point. Cyberbullying is a very serious problem among young people, and in the US, there have been numerous instances where cyberbullying has lead to death and other tragedy. I'm disappointed that Yuna hasn't said anything about this, to be honest. This is not about the inquiry/petition/protest. But people should be told to voice their opposition to the judging in a civil manner, and to refrain from attacking the athletes on a personal level. There are a lot of young people who look up to Yuna, and she should take this opportunity to tell them that she does not condone cyberbullying and that people should voice their opinions in a peaceful manner.

cooper

Medalist
I just read about the death threats, comments telling Adelina to kill herself, and other attacks on her personal Instagram account and was appalled. :eek: This has completely crossed the line. There is no absolutely no justification for cyberbullying, especially of a child. Yuna is the only person who can talk some sense into these people at this point. Cyberbullying is a very serious problem among young people, and in the US, there have been numerous instances where cyberbullying has lead to death and other tragedy. I'm disappointed that Yuna hasn't said anything about this, to be honest. This is not about the inquiry/petition/protest. But people should be told to voice their opposition to the judging in a civil manner, and to refrain from attacking the athletes on a personal level. There are a lot of young people who look up to Yuna, and she should take this opportunity to tell them that she does not condone cyberbullying and that people should voice their opinions in a peaceful manner.

please. :rolleye:

before you start blaming yuna no one is asking her yet, so blaming her for not speaking up maybe you should asked the korean reporters about it. it's not like yuna is surfing the internet 24hrs because of this mess..

btw.. there are yuna haters as well...so much hypocrisy.. :rolleye: thank god yuna doesn't have her own instagram.. i doubt she's looking at her message in twitter anyway..

ahy

Final Flight
im not sure if yuna herself knows this kind of thing happened though...she doesn't have instagram and i don't think she will be reading her twitter...

evangeline

Record Breaker
I don't think that Cheerio2 is blaming Yu-Na for anything, but that Yu-Na is probably the only person her more zealous fans will listen to.

The cyberbullying against Adelina is frankly disgusting and I hope Adelina herself isn't taking any of those horrible, mean-spirited comments to heart.

cheerio2

On the Ice
Right. I'm just saying Yuna is the probably only person these people will listen to at this point. I'm aware that it is possible that Yuna doesn't know about it. In any case, I think this cyberbullying should not be dismissed as "everyone has haters." Going into an athlete's own account and making death threats is not just ordinary "hating." And in any case, two wrongs don't make a right.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Er...well, it would be an admirable gesture of her to say something, sure, but there's a difference between saying that and expressing disappointment that she hasn't said anything, as if it's her responsibility to monitor Adelina's Instagram account and tell people how to behave on there. I'm sure she has other things on her mind right now.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

doubt it

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/23/w...fter-olympic-skating-disappointment.html?_r=0

South Korea Puts Anger Aside After Olympic Skating Disappointment

Kim Yu-na was a perfect heroine for her country. Like postwar South Korea, she rose from a humble start, skating on a tatty rink as a 6-year-old, to win gold for a nation that had felt sidelined in a sport dominated by Western athletes.

So when she was dethroned in Sochi by a Russian teenager in a much-debated decision, it was not surprising that Ms. Kim’s country, which has long tied international sports achievements to self-worth, reacted with anger. A petition on Change.org calling for an investigation by the International Skating Union drew more than 1.9 million signatures, most of them from South Koreans. And many online commentators said Ms. Kim had been cheated of a gold medal because her country was “small and weak.”

South Korea’s focus on sports achievements seems to be rooted in a sense of having been bullied by other nations. After the Korean War, the country used nationalism to consolidate internal unity amid economic hardship. South Koreans often treated sports as an avenue to affirm the national pride they desperately wanted.

In the 2002 Games, when the American short-track speed-skater Apolo Anton Ohno was ruled the winner in a race South Koreans believed their countryman won, anti-Americanism spiked. (They blamed him for making a gesture that suggested the Korean had improperly blocked him.)

cooper

Medalist
^what's got to do with this topic?? :confused:

Er...well, it would be an admirable gesture of her to say something, sure, but there's a difference between saying that and expressing disappointment that she hasn't said anything, as if it's her responsibility to monitor Adelina's Instagram account and tell people how to behave on there. I'm sure she has other things on her mind right now.

this.

as if yuna is surfing the internet 24hrs.. and knows anything about adelina's instagram..

vegarin

On the Ice

I don't expect Mao to be called responsible for her fans behaviours. I certainly don't expect Adelina to be responsible for her fans, either, so I'm not sure why it should fall on Yuna to shoulder the responsibilities. Plus, she still hasn't even left Sochi.

cooper

Medalist
Yuna should stay out of it.

thank you. yuna had enough with this olympics already.. i'm sure she's eager to go home and see and her family.. it's not her obligation to read adelina's instgram that will be creepy..

verysmuchso

On the Ice
I see that Adelina's hurting...maybe it's because the glass slipper is Cinderella's and not hers. Maybe you should ask the Pope to say something.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Adelina isnt bothered by it so why should Yu Na do anything. Adelina lives in a fantasy world in Russia where there is no controversy whatsoever about her win and where everyone thinks she is the greatest skater ever. I doubt she is aware anyone disagrees with her win, never mind the other wild extreme of death threats, etc...

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Yuna wont be getting a seat into IOC
so payback will be be later ;)
The Russian IOC knows about this anyways

what goes around comes around for Kim
from her rabid bots

Kazama

Match Penalty
Your opinion is intersting but Yuna didn't make them cyberbull.
Like others said, She is not responsible for that cyberbullying.

vLadiMiRa

Rinkside
I see that Adelina's hurting...maybe it's because the glass slipper is Cinderella's and not hers. Maybe you should ask the Pope to say something.

LOL!

I feel bad that Adelina is being attacked since she is a minor. But I still do not think she deserved OGM nor is she a champion in any sense. Well, those judges also made her a victim in all this. Good job, judges.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Adelina isnt bothered by it so why should Yu Na do anything. Adelina lives in a fantasy world in Russia where there is no controversy whatsoever about her win and where everyone thinks she is the greatest skater ever. I doubt she is aware anyone disagrees with her win, never mind the other wild extreme of death threats, etc...

her instagram is now managed by Adelina's team
so they know already

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
actually its Yunas dream that will be sabotaged in the long run because of the actions of her bots
it will leave a bad smell for the IOC officials that she wants to have a seat in the future