Korea revenge in 2018? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Korea revenge in 2018?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
THIS! I'm not sure they'd care all that much about fixing figure skating since they likely won't have a legit contender, but the Russian Oly team will most definitely get screwed out of a bunch of medals in 2018 as a result of Sochi. Anyone who remembers what happened at the 2002 World Cup can tell you South Korea is MORE than capable of fixing competitions should they wish to.

Oh they will care very much about the figure skating, regardless if they have contenders or not. I predict that is where Team Russia will get hit hardest, and not just in the ladies event. I would laugh outloud if something like say Duhamel & Radford or Sui & Han or Volosozhar & Massot (well unless they end up even better than expected) beat a totally clean Volosozhar & Trankov, but if there is one place that might happen it would be the next Games in Korea. I agree with the above posters there will be payback to Russia felt at those Games, but strongly disagree that will mostly be outside the figure skating venue. It will probably indeed extend beyond the figure skating venue, but the figure skating venue is when it will be most felt. The Russian figure skating team (who are typically arrogant and have an inflated view of the scores and placements they deserve to begin with) will need some pain killers to get through the aggravation they will experience that week.

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
Oh they will care very much about the figure skating, regardless if they have contenders or not. I predict that is where Team Russia will get hit hardest, and not just in the ladies event. I would laugh outloud if something like say Duhamel & Radford or Sui & Han or Volosozhar & Massot (well unless they end up even better than expected) beat a totally clean Volosozhar & Trankov, but if there is one place that might happen it would be the next Games in Korea. I agree with the above posters there will be payback to Russia felt at those Games, but strongly disagree that will mostly be outside the figure skating venue. It will probably indeed extend beyond the figure skating venue, but the figure skating venue is when it will be most felt. The Russian figure skating team (who are typically arrogant and have an inflated view of the scores and placements they deserve to begin with) will need some pain killers to get through the aggravation they will experience that week.

What? Plushenko is the only arrogant Russian skater I know of... Yulia isn't, Lena isn't, etc.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
What? Plushenko is the only arrogant Russian skater I know of... Yulia isn't, Lena isn't, etc.

Sotnikova is incredibly arrogant. Julia has huge attitude, have you not noticed her reactions to some of her scores and results (especialy her loss to Mao on the grand prix last year).

Trankov has a very in your face and emo personality, he said so himself. I remember him being very visible in his upset with losing a close decision for the grand prix final title to Aliona & Robin in 2011 (where I also felt they should have won as they were clean in both program ans S&S werent, even though I felt S&S were the superior team at that point). When he was paired with Mukhortova he sulked in the kiss and cry at some of his scores and results. I remember the 2006 worlds when he started shaking his head around and stamping his feet at their score. The 2010 worlds was also funny to watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QaqIw2ywN0 Then you have Kovtun announcing himself an official member of the Russian Olympic team BEFORE Europeans and before the official announcement. I am not just talking about current Russians either.

Remember Yagudin, Slutskaya, Pasha Grischuk. Slutskaya makes it obvious she feels she deserved to win 4 or 5 worlds and the 2002 Olympics (and maybe 2006 too) despite that outside the 2 worlds she actually won, she didnt deliver to her potential at any of those, and thus understandably lost.

BTW I am not implying this makes them bad people, some of them are all my all time favorites and Maxim Trankov especialy I get the impression is a great guy with a huge heart, despite his emo personality. He is the kind of person who would be amazing to be friends with. However yes the Russian skating team is very arrogant and have inflated opinions of their skating and what it deserves, even when they dont skate their best. So thoughts of their reaction to actually being purposely underscored is almost funny to think about.

Alba

Record Breaker

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I wonder what kind of pill will you need, if your prediction will be wrong. :popcorn:

If it is wrong I will be just fine. I like the vast majority of the Russian skating team, and so if they are spared the likely revenge to come (which they had no fault in) then good for them. Sotnikova and Plushenko are the only ones I dont like, and I am not worried in the least about seeing either one at the 2018 Games anyway.

cebi26

On the Ice
Oh my god, some people here forget that we are not talking about individuals in a petty fight, we are talking about COUNTRIES. Their prime goal is to the Olympics to be successful, not like some people think here to screw up Russia :laugh:
We live in a world of trends, especially in sports, and Korea is no exepction. Yuna retired and is moving on with her life, if in 2018 there is no solid Korea contender for the gold, people won't give a fig about who wins. So many controversial decisions and victories in all kind of sports exist, and people may complain but eventually ALL move on and forget.

Alba

Record Breaker
If it is wrong I will be just fine. I like the vast majority of the Russian skating team, and so if they are spared the likely revenge to come (which they had no fault in) then good for them. Sotnikova and Plushenko are the only ones I dont like, and I am not worried in the least about seeing either one at the 2018 Games anyway.

Oh Com'on you don't like here because of Sochi? I mean I'm not her fan at all, but why would you call her arrogant?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Slutskaya makes it obvious she feels she deserved to win 4 or 5 worlds and the 2002 Olympics (and maybe 2006 too) despite that outside the 2 worlds she actually won, she didnt deliver to her potential at any of those, and thus understandably lost.

Two times Slutskaya lost to Kwan she got first place LP ordinals that would have given her the win (IIRC one year she got 3 and the other year 2). Kwan should have won both times IMO but I can see how Irina would think she deserves it if she did get some ordinals. In 2006 I think she thought she deserved silver not gold, which is understandable since Sasha fell twice.

Alba

Record Breaker
Oh my god, some people here forget that we are not talking about individuals in a petty fight, we are talking about COUNTRIES. Their prime goal is to the Olympics to be successful, not like some people think here to screw up Russia :laugh:
We live in a world of trends, especially in sports, and Korea is no exepction. Yuna retired and is moving on with her life, if in 2018 there is no solid Korea contender for the gold, people won't give a fig about who wins. So many decisions and victories in all kind of sports exist, and people may complain but eventually ALL move on and forget.

:thumbsup:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I honestly think you might be a closet Lipnitskaya fan. Way down deep I think it might be so. Anyway I always enjoy your rather direct remarks. Even when I disagree with you I can tell your not just saying things to upset people....some things just upset people that have to be said.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
I truly hope they will not be that childish as some of the posters here seem to be. If they are than it might be time to hang up the skates. If there is going to be Tit for Tat for every gold medal given than there is not much left for Figure skating worth caring about.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I honestly think you might be a closet Lipnitskaya fan. Way down deep I think it might be so. Anyway I always enjoy your rather direct remarks. Even when I disagree with you I can tell your not just saying things to upset people....some things just upset people that have to be said.

I am a Lipnitskaya fan. I was the only one on this forum 2 years ago who believed in her and talked up her future prospects when everyone on this forum thought Tuktamysheva (rotfl) was the way better prospect. That doesnt mean I am blind to her flaws (all which she is working on and have improved on, but some which she will have to continue to), and that sometimes she is overscored though, and her scores in Sochi were one of many signs of the whole russian thing going at the Games in figure skating. I was thrilled with her breakout and success this year though. I do hope she wins a worlds one of the next 2 years and becomes the Russian to beat, holding off people like Radianova and Anna in the coming years.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
We live in a world of trends, especially in sports, and Korea is no exepction. Yuna retired and is moving on with her life, if in 2018 there is no solid Korea contender for the gold, people won't give a fig about who wins. So many controversial decisions and victories in all kind of sports exist, and people may complain but eventually ALL move on and forget.

I really think you're underestimating Korean nationalism. They aren't going to forget (or forgive).

pharmtech1

Rinkside
I am not sure there will even be an Olympics in 2018 ! South Korea was not a good choice and I am pretty sure the way the North is acting now they may try to sabotage the whole event . North Korea is the scariest place on earth right now because they just don't care .

Figure 8's

On the Ice
I am not sure there will even be an Olympics in 2018 ! South Korea was not a good choice and I am pretty sure the way the North is acting now they may try to sabotage the whole event . North Korea is the scariest place on earth right now because they just don't care .
You are so right. Might be one Korea in 2018 and not necessarily a good one.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The last 3 Olympic venue choices have all been ridiculous. Next they will probably hold it in some Middle East country which kills all gay people, allows 8 year old girls to be force married and raped to death, and promotes slavery of colored people, just to "spread the wealth".

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
The last 3 Olympic venue choices have all been ridiculous. Next they will probably hold it in some Middle East country which kills all gay people, allows 8 year old girls to be force married and raped to death, and promotes slavery of colored people, just to "spread the wealth".

Vancouver does none of those things... But the opening/closing ceremonies were ridiculous IMO (I am from Vancouver haha)

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
Sotnikova is incredibly arrogant. Julia has huge attitude, have you not noticed her reactions to some of her scores and results (especialy her loss to Mao on the grand prix last year).

Trankov has a very in your face and emo personality, he said so himself. I remember him being very visible in his upset with losing a close decision for the grand prix final title to Aliona & Robin in 2011 (where I also felt they should have won as they were clean in both program ans S&S werent, even though I felt S&S were the superior team at that point). When he was paired with Mukhortova he sulked in the kiss and cry at some of his scores and results. I remember the 2006 worlds when he started shaking his head around and stamping his feet at their score. The 2010 worlds was also funny to watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QaqIw2ywN0 Then you have Kovtun announcing himself an official member of the Russian Olympic team BEFORE Europeans and before the official announcement. I am not just talking about current Russians either.

Remember Yagudin, Slutskaya, Pasha Grischuk. Slutskaya makes it obvious she feels she deserved to win 4 or 5 worlds and the 2002 Olympics (and maybe 2006 too) despite that outside the 2 worlds she actually won, she didnt deliver to her potential at any of those, and thus understandably lost.

BTW I am not implying this makes them bad people, some of them are all my all time favorites and Maxim Trankov especialy I get the impression is a great guy with a huge heart, despite his emo personality. He is the kind of person who would be amazing to be friends with. However yes the Russian skating team is very arrogant and have inflated opinions of their skating and what it deserves, even when they dont skate their best. So thoughts of their reaction to actually being purposely underscored is almost funny to think about.

I don’t know... I think you're making some assumptions here as you do not personally know any of them. Not smiling 24/7 doesn't make someone arrogant...

anyanka

Record Breaker

Which 3 venues? Did you mean 2010/12/14? Or did you mean the next three host choices for 2016/18/20? I'm assuming that you're including summer OG as well.

If you meant winter games, Torino was OK but had a bit too much snow, and some transportation problems. Vancouver had an issue with snow on one venue for one sport, but it was smoothly run overall (despite the usual Olympic hiccups and the tragic unexpected death of the Georgian luger). Sochi was a real outlier in terms of a winter OG choice but they still pulled it off.