Football/Soccer Is The Greatest Game On Earth. | Page 27 | Golden Skate

Football/Soccer Is The Greatest Game On Earth.

BusyMom

Medalist
I feel that this time around we reach the end of African teams era either. Eto'o made me think about the good old day. :eek:hwell:

Oh and about the pitch's condition, they had no time to let the grass well rest before the start of the games. Most stadium hardly finished on time. You all knew that they usually gave a few weeks rest before the beginning of the seasons. Not the luxury they had this time.

Alba

Record Breaker
Oh and about the pitch's condition, they had no time to let the grass well rest before the start of the games. Most stadium hardly finished on time.

I totally forgot about that. I often confused with the Olympics. :biggrin:

how many new stadiums did they build?

BusyMom

Medalist
I totally forgot about that. I often confused with the Olympics. :biggrin:

how many new stadiums did they build?
wiki said 7 new and 5 with major renovation. I saw BBC news reported about the FIFA inspections and it wasn't easy peachy. One of the stadium fail a couple of times.

But at the end, I still think Brazil pull it off though. Either by miracle or hard working, the games keeps going quite smoothly. Not the ideal perfect but well I'm sure many developing countries in the same situation wouldn't be able to pull it off. Hat-off to the host.

figureskateobasan

On the Ice
omg, I didn't expect many FS fans to watch the world cup. haha.

I didn't watch the match but seems like Spain didn't change any tactics and all. Most players are due for so long already, bad coaching, bad everything. it's sad for their fans.
This year World cup has been pretty intense with so many own goal and red cards :eek:

Any prediction who will be on the final?

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I still can't believe Spain is out:eek: Chile played very well and deserved to qualify, but still..:eek:

Uruguay-England tonight:popcorn:

Alba

Record Breaker
Yep. :biggrin:

Seriously though, they got the potential and they got the public and history with them. We'll have to see how they progress.
I remember Italy in 1982. They were bad in their group stages.

LRK

Record Breaker
Villa was not going to change anything. He is past his prime and is going to USA because of that. Idem for Xavi, but I imagine that's a difficult decision to make. Experience do count a lot in these tournaments.

As I said, it was Erik Hamrin who said that he had liked what he had seen of the combination of Pedro, Diego Costa and Villa playing together. That might have made a difference, pehaps...

If Villa hadn't been put on because he wasn't on form, or for any reasonable reason - but we've already noted that sense and rationality have no place here at the WC, haven't we? ;) - I would have been fine with it. Sorry, as, I said, he is my favourite player - but I wasn't complaining. But if it is just spite... well, that is just silly.

Still, I suppose, this way, nobody can blame him for this whole debacle - there is that.... Still, it would be nice if they put him in the last game so that I could watch him play a final time. It isn't as if it matters any now? Of course, if they do, and he does score, that could be embarrassing for them, so they mightn't.

Well, I knew before the WC that Spain could not keep on winning for ever - and I knew that when they lost, I'd be heartbroken. I suppose, this way, the pain and suspense and false hope were cut short, and the misery unprolonged...

Yes, I know..... Signed: Sour Grapist. ;)

ETA - Oh, just to add, if Casillas hadn't let in those two goals, that would have been nice... Unfortunately, the Chilean goalkeeper was good. If the teams had traded goalkeepers the match might have turned out differently. ;) Actually, even before the match I was wondering if there was any possibility Spain could borrow Ochoa for the match... And I hate saying that about Casillas, because he's been so brilliant, and such a rock... But the fact remains that, this WC, he wasn't. (Heartbroken)

BusyMom

Medalist
Any prediction who will be on the final?
How come we didn't do this prediction earlier????:bang:
I have a feeling that it will come down to old power-play teams (Germany or French). :no:

Still, it would be nice if they put him in the last game so that I could watch him play a final time. It isn't as if it matters any now? Of course, if they do, and he does score, that could be embarrassing for them, so they mightn't.

Well, I knew before the WC that Spain could not keep on winning for ever - and I knew that when they lost, I'd be heartbroken. I suppose, this way, the pain and suspense and false hope were cut short, and the misery unprolonged...
I had the same feeling with the Spanish Team before the WC started. I didn't think they would dominate this tournament but also I didn't expect them to be this bad either. :disapp:

Since half of their team would be retired or semi-retired after this season, can you imagine they gave the chance to veteran like villa, Xavi, Xabi and Pique. It might be a bit of the irony if they could show us the real Spaniard. :popcorn:

LRK

Record Breaker
I tend to think, generally speaking, that the good thing is to have a mix of both: youthful exuberance & experienced veterans. And a few in between. :)

I actually think Germany's team is quite solid. I've liked them for quite a few tournaments now, but I couldn't cheer for them against Spain. (I mean, in matches against Spain, or to win the whole tournament. Individual matches I could and did, of course.) Well, now that problem is solved...:disapp:

Anyway, there are a few teams I like still in it. Of course with my luck the team I like the least will end up in the final and winning it. I won't name it for fear of Jinxing - I'll just say that the team I'm thiinking of is not Brazil. ;)

Anyway, back to teams for whom I've got a soft spot... Let's see how England do today.

BusyMom

Medalist
You got to love Japanese fans. :laugh: This is not what football fans are suppose to do.:biggrin:

CLASS ACT: Japanese fans were seen cleaning their part of the stands after the match. #WorldCupProblems
https://twitter.com/WorIdCupProbs/status/478250315657920513/photo/1
:clap: In a good way, they are a refreshing scene from what we've seen in football crazy world.

One of the Japanese FC (Montedio Yamagata FC)uses Over the Rainbow as their theme song. It's weird but cute. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwst1r_pR4s

BusyMom

Medalist
LRK It is time for desperate measure. We need to apply the Reverse Psychology from now on, since all the names we called out done amazing great but on the other hand the one we support seems to have a bad day.

LRK

Record Breaker
LRK It is time for desperate measure. We need to apply the Reverse Psychology from now on, since all the names we called out done amazing great but on the other hand the one we support seems to have a bad day.

I'm inclined to think that the team I'm thinking of is the greatest Jinx of all! (sob) I was going to make a mention of an old player of theirs that I liked - but I realised that might have been too close.... The initials are "E D" though... And if they do win, you'll have to blame it all on me....:cry: :slink:

LRK

Record Breaker
So, what happens when we don't have a favourite? Draw and 0-0? :scratch:

Do you think if we choose a favourite we'll get some action in this match? So... Colombia or the Ivory Coast? I'm open to suggestions. It's no fun watching a match as a neutral anyway - more restful and less anxiety inducing, yes; but just no fun! :)

BusyMom

Medalist
I have a favourite on this match so I stick with my Rev. Psy and saying that Ivory Coast this year has the strongest troops out of African teams. :laugh:

For none favourite matches, we can just keep calm and enjoy the match then. Oh but from our history so far it might give us the most boring match everrrr.