Keeping it Real: Kurt Browning | Golden Skate

Keeping it Real: Kurt Browning

76olympics

On the Ice
Bravo!

I really enjoyed the interview! Great job, Kurt and Kathleen! You just gotta love Kurt; he is really down to earth. I liked the story with his mom pulling him by the ear around the corner for a talking to when he didn't respond to the fan with attention when he was young. My mom must have had some type of telepathic communication with her because we had many similar learning experiences!

Glad that he has joined the Matt Savoie bandwagon. I am getting ready to run quickly.....but I have always felt like Plushenko poses ineffectively more than I like. I agree with Kurt on that. Nevertheless, his posing will not prevent his win by a landslide! His jumps are awesome, I must admit.

Thanks for the interview again! It is a keeper!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
omg... I got all giddy with this part:
Kathleen: In your own mind, how will you judge yourself as a commentator? What will be the standard you'll measure yourself against?

Kurt: Scott Hamilton. If I can do as well as Scott, then I won't embarrass myself. I like that he is so genuinely positive about skating and about whatever event or program he's commentating on. If a skater is in trouble out there on the ice and having a bad program - how can I say this (pauses) - Scott will try to 'save' the performance for the viewer. He'll find the strong points and the good things to talk about. As former amateur competitors, we've all been there - we've all had bad days. And rather than just let it go completely negative or sound disgusted with a performance, Scott will find a way to turn it around.

At least SOMEONE likes Scott's commentary! :rock:

great interview... Kurt is AMAZING... but I think we've covered that subject already :laugh:

He's incredible. He has his opinions but keeps them in the best of taste. The guy has to be the best himself.

Joe

Zanzibar

Final Flight
I thought it was kinda cool that Kurt had the guts to say what a lot people - including commentators think - but don't say - especially considering that Plush is the huge odds-on favorite for gold and Kurt will be doing post-event commentary:

"Do you think anyone can beat Evgeni Plushenko? Any Canadian man?

Kurt: He is definitely one of the few guys that has been able to slip seamlessly into the new system and score just as well. My one complaint about him is that he sometimes seems to just 'stand there' for awhile in each program. He does some funky arm thing, looks really artsy, and then shakes his straight hair around. But he's also incredibly athletic and has great feet. Not my favorite skater on a personal level, but I certainly respect his ability."

I

IcyBallerina

"One time a man tried to stop me as we were walking by - to say he enjoyed my performance and ask about my skating - but I just kept walking. My mom grabbed me by the ear, pulled me around a corner, and told me to respect people when they show an interest in the things I'm doing. She said that when anyone takes the time to come watch me, and shows an interest in my skating, then I need to stop and listen, because they have other things they could be doing. Those words stuck with me. I came from very humble beginnings, and I never forgot that. "--Kurt Browning

I love that Mom. Correcting him, yet not embarassing him publicly. I love his story. It explains the need for performers to realize their audience is important to the whole package. I guess I believe performance art is a result both of Art and the veiewer's Response.

IcyB's Mom

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
One of Kurt's greatest attributes is his sincerity and I feel that comes across in his skating. Every time I see him skate, it's as though he is skating personally for me. He connects with his audience in a special way. I think Kurt will do well as a commentator, because he is a great diplomat. I hope Kurt's son does become a great figure skater just like Kurt.

Great article. Thanks.

Teenes

On the Ice
That was an excellent interview, thanks so much! Loved the questions, loved the answers...

Did he ever think "I really need to scratch my nose" on the podium indeed. Hehehe.