2009 Worlds to be held in Los Angeles | Golden Skate

2009 Worlds to be held in Los Angeles

R.D.

Record Breaker
This just in:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp...y?coll=la-headlines-sports&ctrack=1&cset=true

(registration required)

Here's the main tidbit:

Several sources in the skating industry said Friday that Los Angeles has been chosen as the site of the 2009 World Figure Skating Championships, which will determine the number of berths allotted to each national skating federation for the 2010 Winter Olympics.

A bid with Staples Center as its hub was one of three finalists for the event, which rotates among international regions. The other finalists were Cleveland and Spokane, Wash.

David Gilbert, chief executive of the Greater Cleveland Sports Commission, said someone "within the figure skating community" told his group that Los Angeles had won. "That's our understanding," he said.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I think that, if this proves true, MK and Sasha might stick around, if they can, just to skate at Worlds in their home town.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Not unlike Irina staying in until 2005 to skate in Moscow. But then her plans were to retire, and she ended up skating in Torino.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Red Dog said:
Not unlike Irina staying in until 2005 to skate in Moscow. But then her plans were to retire, and she ended up skating in Torino.

Yes, but look how Irina skated in Moscow. A good omen?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
oh dear Lord...

now I'm torn... Worlds 09, or possibly the olys 2010... oh dear oh dear oh dear

LA = close to Disney Land too.. oh dear oh dear oh dear

Worlds = normally during spring break (though hopefully I'll be out of school by then, at least up here)

LA = close to where I want to go to school for my mastors....

oh dear oh dear oh dear

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Oooh, LaLa land. The stars will be out en masse. will there be a red carpet?

Joe
If they can entice Kwan's and Cohen's Hollywood friends to show up, and the cameras do lots of crowd shots, it may be the only thing to get non- or Olympic-only fans to watch and maybe start to following skating, especially if the commentators can play up how much the competition means for the next Olympics.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
If they can entice Kwan's and Cohen's Hollywood friends to show up, and the cameras do lots of crowd shots, it may be the only thing to get non- or Olympic-only fans to watch and maybe start to following skating, especially if the commentators can play up how much the competition means for the next Olympics.

YES! Play up the Hollywood theme and get some of the more influential stars to help sell this event.

Gene Kelly was a big figure skating fan. He used to figure skated on rollers. I think he actually used rollers in one of his movies.

Joe

Well, he roller skated in Xanadu, at age 60 or so.

At least he did better than Olivia Newton-John, who had to be pushed across the rink and then caught on the other side, LOL.

MM :)

John King

Final Flight
Oh dear,does this mean there will be manditory testing of all skaters for botox?Or that all commentary must be in Valley Girl lingo?:p

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
John King said:
Oh dear,does this mean there will be manditory testing of all skaters for botox?Or that all commentary must be in Valley Girl lingo?:p
Well if you have those old ladies Kwan, Cohen, and Slutskaya competing they just might need a little botox.:biggrin:

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
John King said:

I think Aunt Peggy could handle Val-speak. "Like, ohmygod, that layback was, like, ex-QUIS-ite, ya know?"
:rofl:
xoxo
Rave

R.D.

Record Breaker
uh oh...being reported on FSU that LA officials might be jumping the gun a little bit...?? Apparently the OFFICIAL ISU decision won't be made until June. Am I right?

IDLERACER

Medalist
Tonichelle said:
LA = close to Disney Land too.. oh dear oh dear oh dear
Actually, the Staples Center is a good 45 miles from Disneyland. Now if it were being held at the Arrowhead Pond, that would be another story. That's right around the corner from it.

If you're planning on paying a visit out here, I would think you'd have more fun going to the Healthsouth Center and watching Evan Lysacek practice. Disneyland is a big expensive tourist trap.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Idle... if you know anything about me you know that I'm all about Disney lol

though there is the whole Evan Lysacek perk too...

and 45 minutes ain't nothin to a girl from Alaska....