NBC said to be in deal to air '09 worlds | Golden Skate

NBC said to be in deal to air '09 worlds

That's good news for fans not attending Worlds'

But will European and Asian Federatons let NBC fool around with the scheduling? I can't see putting 12 Senior Ladies on at 8 in the morniing so that NBC can show l2 Senior Ladies at 5pm for the East Coast TV audience.

And how much will they tape for other disciplines and on what channels?

I wouldn't rejoice right away, but wait for more concrete news.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
I had a feeling they would take this one, especially after the improved ratings from the US Nationals.

I'm also not surprised that GP events are not part of the deal. I think Ice Network will take care of those. (NBC already is committed to the Disson shows, so I don't think they would want that much more skating).

Of course, we don't know how many hours of coverage we'll get (I'll be surprised if it's more than 5), whether it will be complimented by cable coverage, or whether other ISU championships were squeezed in (such as 4CC's). Overall, it's good news but in the back of my mind, ESPN has done a fairly good job of providing ample coverage (save 2005- that year was terrible).

RD - As long as you're happy that NBC will show 6 Ladies in prime time, then you are in luck. But I think any network would do the same thing. I strongly believe true fans of figure skating would want more. So, imo, NBC pleases the few fans of Ladies Figure Skating. (Someday, the Networks will learn that there is more to Figure Skating than 6 ladies.)

And you are suggesting that the rest of the fans can go to the internet. Am I correct? This is better than ABC/ESPN? :confused:

Joe

I had a feeling they would take this one, especially after the improved ratings from the US Nationals.

I'm also not surprised that GP events are not part of the deal. I think Ice Network will take care of those. (NBC already is committed to the Disson shows, so I don't think they would want that much more skating).

Of course, we don't know how many hours of coverage we'll get (I'll be surprised if it's more than 5), whether it will be complimented by cable coverage, or whether other ISU championships were squeezed in (such as 4CC's). Overall, it's good news but in the back of my mind, ESPN has done a fairly good job of providing ample coverage (save 2005- that year was terrible).
NBC is not going to ship its gear to Korea and if they rent it in Korea, it may take time to maneuver it. This is going to cost NBC big bucks to have their technicians and commentators over there also. For the crew it will be a junket.

I don't know why you are not surprised that GP events are not part of the deal. When you first reported the deal you were rejoicing that you would get LIVE tv of figure skating better than ABC/ESPN. There was no difference except NBC pushed 12 young ladies to skate at 8 in the morning

You have to remember, as I told you from day one. NBC is only interested in the Olympics and is using only those competitions in America to bolster their ratings in Vancouver. NBC had no intention of travelling to other venues. There will be no coverage of 4CC by NBC, and Praise to Be, we do get coverage from ABC/ESPN of Gothenberg.

Joe

Hikaru

Final Flight
well, I am not sure if I am all happy about this. I am one of those in other country that get all my skating broadcast through ESPN Latin America. This year the broadcast of Skate America for me was only the ladies' free skate. Then the rest was done by ESPN, which is not all the competition, but at least I get to see most of all disciplines. I still haven't seen anything of Nationals, except for the Youtube videos, and I don't know if it will be shown at all.
I love taping competitions (have been doing it since 2002) so it's a bummer when my little broadcast is being reduced :(

I would love to go to Worlds in 09, but I am still working around that project, but if I am not able to go, it would be sad for me that I don't get to see it either, just like this year's Nationals.

champs

Final Flight
From a different perspective, I welcome this change for WC coverage as NBC has now established a good history of broadcasting figureskating-related programs in true HDTV quality.(2006 Olys, 2007 Skate America, and 2008 US Nat'ls) Since 2008 Worlds takes place in the US, NBC will provide all the camera equipments and stuff for shooting (except that foreign broadcasters will bring in their own for backstage and interviews for their local coverage). So, as long as the broadcaster in my country broadcasts 2008 Worlds also in HDTV format (which is indeed the case in my country), we can enjoy high quality coverage. I do like Peggy, Paul, Suzie, Terry and Peter (not so much Dick) commentating rather than Scott and Sandra, but the difference is minor for me considering the horrible picture quality that ESPN/ABC has long provided.

With regard to the length of TV coverage...the ironic thing is, foreign broadcasters' local coverage may show more skaters than NBC will within the US.

Last edited:
I think the main reason most people are happy about the NBC deal is that at least somebody will show something.

There is no point in comparing the NBC coverage to the ABC/ESPN coverage because ABC/ESPN has said that they don't want to do figure skating at all any more.

Hikaru

Final Flight
well, my only option is to start bombarding my cable company so they can get NBC in their list of channels. It bugs me so much that for over 3 years the had ABC but for my plan they wouldn't include it. This month, all of a sudden they decide that we all can get ABC... of course it had to be when ABC didn't broadcast figure skating anymore...

The second option would be icenetwork, and the last one would be YouTube and the charity of people uploading the videos T_T Oh, well....

Precisely.
But showing something and jumping for joy are not congruous. Only the last group of ladies will be shown, most likely, and at what time, we do not know. Will Japan, Korea, China, France and Russia bow to NBC rescheduling for the American fans?

One can not rely on NBC for further figure skating than 6 Ladies, and maybe 3 or 4 Dancers. Hopefully there will be taping for a sunday evening showing of Mens, and Pairs, maybe 15 minutes each. Hope there is more than that

Anyway you will get good tape coverage from Gothenberg via ABC/ESPN. If they did it live, the ladies would have to skate at 2 in the morning..

Joe

sillylionlove

Medalist
It should be interesting to see how NBC deals with all of this. But my question is....who is going to be doing the foreign Grand Prix? Right now ESPN is done with them and no one else is going to cover them. What a shame!!

waxel

Final Flight
NBC paired up with icenetwork for Nationals (of course having nothing to do w/ ISU) so maybe there's a slim hope of adding the foreign GPs in some kind of package? I am not confident that we will see any GP coverage. Maybe something online- but if not icenetwork- then what?

Earlier there was a mention that ESPN might still consider negotiaton with ISU- but I guess that came to nothing.

I never complained about the ABC/ESPN pairing because at least the coverage was more than "something." Even if taped delayed.

I do not want to lose GP coverage.

^ There was never any deal with NBC to cover figure skating outside the USA. How much they show of 2009 Worlds is a wait and see.

The deal with Icenetwork was made with USFS, not with NBC. I haven't been over there in quite a while, does anyone know if they are covering skating outside the USA? Apparently, they have had one camera at the Sectionals, so they may be doing their own shooting. How big would their crew be? Shipping, Travel, Accommodations and Meals all add up. Question I would have is if they have sufficient funds to travel and film the GPs next season?

I do not believe Icenetwork has a sponsor. Correct me, please. So if they use the money collected from subscriptions, I doubt that will be sufficient. Many posters have said they do not have the proper connection.

If Icenetwork does cover the GPs, on the plus side, I believe you will get every skater. On the negative side, it's a small screen with you and the computer. No tension felt.

Joe

fenway

On the Ice
Well I was pretty pleased overall with how NBC handled Nationals. If some think it failed, I can't believe you'd think it was due to lack of effort.

But the idea of watching GP online just makes me sad :( Obviously it's better than nothing at all but still...how the mighty have fallen

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't care all that much about the GP (save the GPF) so I'm not sad to see it go. At least we'll still get tidbits from SA due to the NBC/USFS agreement, though.

Remember, we still don't know details of this arrangement. Maybe another network is showing the GP's.

my favorite site blog for sports ratings is also reporting the news (source came from the Tribune, of course so it's really nothing new)

http://sportsmediawatch.blogspot.com/2008/02/idle-notes.html

Last edited:

fenway

On the Ice
I don't care all that much about the GP (save the GPF) so I'm not sad to see it go. At least we'll still get tidbits from SA due to the NBC/USFS agreement, though.

Remember, we still don't know details of this arrangement. Maybe another network is showing the GP's.

I like GP. It's a good opportunity to see the younger or up & coming skaters before nationals/worlds hits.

True we don't know the fate of GP yet but I can't imagine it's much of a hot commodity these days.

I like GP. It's a good opportunity to see the younger or up & coming skaters before nationals/worlds hits.

True we don't know the fate of GP yet but I can't imagine it's much of a hot commodity these days.
Most skating fans like the GPs. They are about competition. There are a few posters who's limit to skating is just Amercian Ladies. They are lucky for the Worlds being in LA and NBC . Those Ladies fans only don't sweat this.

A snippet from the blog:

While the U.S. Figure Skating Championships did not light up the ratings for NBC, the network was apparently impressed enough by the improved numbers to buy into more major figure skating events. The Chicago Tribune reports NBC has agreed to broadcast the 2009 World Figure Skating Championships, after the event wraps up its tenure on ESPN this March. NBC is hoping to use figure skating and the NHL to promote the 2010 Winter Olympics.

IMO, having NBC do something is better than nothing, but unless that 2010 Olys produces its one-time-high ratings again for figure skating and hockey, I don't think, NBC will tackle the Olys again. Can you imagine the logistics and expense in running an Olympics on TV?

If Icenetwork holds up, and if enough members pay up for the privilege, we may get some sort of computer viewing. If they go international with their supposedly one camera it may work. With one camea, do not expect the glitz of a network's several cameras around the arena.. But our new motto: SOME IS BETTER THAN NONE

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
I definitely will take NBC coverage over no coverage at all, but I think there'll definitely be less coverage than in the past. Unless, of course, they choose to cover it like they do the Wimbledon tennis championship, with live coverage all week long plus weekend coverage. (not to mention the late night updates ;) ) But considering they insisted on weekend coverage for the US Nats (what's wrong with a Fri. night showing of the SP's?) I wouldn't count on it.

Personally, I think it would be better TV if they could manage to have the SPs and the LPs right after each other, like the first half and the second half of a football game.

Viewers understand the idea that someone scores so many points in the first half that the other team can't catch up.

But when the first half was two days ago, and not shown on TV anyway, it's kind of like the old days of figures.

Anyone who tuned in to U.S. Nationals saw Rachael, Ashley and Caroline finish 1-2-3 in the LP. But none of that mattered because Mirai had already won the title two days before.

Either that or go back to the old judging system, where the top three battled it out live, right before your very eyes, winner take all! :rock: