Movie Lines | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Movie Lines

K

Kara Bear

Re: Movie lines

You're right, its Zoolander. One of my favorite movies.

S

sk8cynic

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"This Dress I'm wearing has a higher IQ than you. I've seen sheep that could outwit you!" [/quote]

Sk8m8, this is a shot in the dark, but is that Wanda Gershwitz (Jamie Lee Curtiss) to Otto (Kevin Kline) in A Fish Called Wanda?

S

sk8m8

Cyn, that's it exactly. One of my favorite movie scenes of all time when Wanda tells Otto exactly how stupid he is. It goes on for far longer than the lines I listed. I love brilliant put down lines for idiots that have it coming. This is perhaps because I suffer from a chronic malady called " Southern Gentleman disorder" where one's mouth clamps shut even in the height of rude discourses being spouted by louts. It causes severe stress, which according to one coffee cup I read states.... "Stress: The condition manifest when the brain overrides the body's desire to slap the living crap out of some ass that richly deserves it" (Paraphrased to be PG rated):rolleyes:

S

sk8cynic

sk8m8,

You're my inspiration, check out my sig line below!!

A Fish Called Wanda is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen - smart, savvy, and witty as hell. I can quote that film in my sleep.....And Kevin Kline? I was thrilled when he got the Supporting Actor Oscar for playing Otto.

R

rgirl181

Piel,
I've been ruminating on "If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions" for days. I could almost hear it and see it in my mind--almost. First I was stuck on "Maclcolm X" Denzel Washington, but that wasn't his style. Finally I saw Samuel L. Jackson on the DVD of "Hard Eight" and just hearing his voice I went, "YESSSSSS!" It's spoken by Samuel L. Jackson in 'Pulp Fiction' as the Bible quoting Elijah Price (I had to look up his character's name).

BTW, ITA about "A Fish Called Wanda" and especially Kevin Kline. Kline and Jeff Bridges are at the top of my list of most underrated actors in Hollywood list. Anybody who could play the heartbreakingly doomed Nathan in "Sophie's Choice" as well as Otto in "Wanda," plus the Motown-loviing shoe entrepeneur in "The Big Chill" is my kind of actor.

4DK,
For extra points--and I don't expect anybody to know this off the top of their heads--in the film "2001: A Space Odyssey," what was the name of the actor who provided the voice of HAL? Who, btw, I consider to be the #1 greatest movie villian in all of cinema despite what that AFI 100 Best Villians and Heros thing says.

Also, you said DeNiro was not your favorite actor. If that's a euphemism for "Don't like him," I'm curious as to why. I'm not a die-hard DeNiro fan, although I really loved him in "King of Comedy" and "Godfather II," as you said, you're in the minority so I just wonder what your reasons are or it he just doesn't do it for you.

Anybody,
So far nobody's gotten:
2. "What changed your mind? Was it my pies?"
or
2a.
A--"Whenever you touch me, darling, I go as limp as a noodle."
B-- "Yes, I am familiar with that feeling."

Hint: They're both from the same movie, which was directed by somebody who has already been mentioned.

And how about another new one:
7. "I'd kiss ya but I just washed my hair."
Rgirl

P

Piel

<span style="color:purple;font-family:verdana;font-size:medium;">Bonus question for Rgirl (this is too easy for uou I know). Your favorite actor also appeared in "Pulp Fiction". What were his lines? ;) BTW I didn't know that Sam Jackson's character was called anything other than Jules.</span>

<span style="color:purple;font-family:verdana;font-size:medium;">Piel</span>

4dogknight

rgirl, sorry for the lag time in my response to your 6/8 post.

About DeNiro, I just don't care for him. Now whether it's because he's been in so many 'noir' films or if it's his 'look', he just rubs me the wrong way no matter what film he's in. Robert Mitchum and John Garfield had the same affect on me. And I'm probably the only person in the US that can't stand the Godfather trilogy. We won't even get started on how I feel about Taxi Driver.

As far as boxing films, I just don't care for the genre. My dad used to box professionally and I've heard all of the stories. Of course my dad was boxing as a young man in his late teens early twenties and that was about 1910; a whole different world. If I had to choose a boxing film, I'd select The Great White Hope. Jack Johnson was a friend of my father's and I've heard a lot about Johnson not only as a boxer but as a human being.

There was one thing I liked about Raging Bull and that's the interspersion of Intermezzo from Mascagni's Cavalleria Rusticana. What a wonderful juxtaposition to the dark theme and black and white photography.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>"Raging Bull" was up for Best Picture in 1980 but did not win. The consensus in retrospect is that it indeed was the best picture, in fact it is considered a classic (individual opinions not withstanding ). Question What movie did "Raging Bull" lose to for Best Picture in 1980?[/quote]

Nominated for Best Picture Award 1980 (53rd Oscars)
Coal Miner's Daughter -- Bernard Schwartz, Producer
The Elephant Man -- Jonathan Sanger, Producer
* Ordinary People -- Ronald L. Schwary, Producer (WINNER)
Raging Bull -- Irwin Winkler and Robert Chartoff, Producers
Tess -- Claude Berri, Producer;Timothy Burrill, Co-producer

In addition to Best Picture the film won:
* ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE -- Timothy Hutton
* DIRECTING -- Robert Redford
* BEST PICTURE -- Ronald L. Schwary, Producer
* WRITING (Screenplay Based on Material from Another Medium) -- Alvin Sargent

Judd Hirsch was nominated for Actor in a Supporting Role and Mary Tyler @#%$ was nominated for Actress in a Leading Role but neither won. (Judd lost to Timothy Hutton and @#%$ lost to Sissy Spacek, Coal Miner's Daughter.)
However, according to all the articles I was able to dig up; the consensus is that the wrong film won in '80. I personally think that it was Hollywood rewarding one of their own - Redford.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>BTW, I happened to see "42nd Street" early this morning (it was on at about 5am) and reading the "42nd Street" quote it occurred to me that there is a modern day movie character named Sawyer (the Ruby Keeler character) who is also picked out of the chorus to become the star. Anybody know what it is? There's a figure skating reference [/quote]
And the answer is:
Amanda Schull (Jody Sawyer) in Center Stage (2000).
The fs reference is Ilia Kulik whop plays Sergei. (IMO Ilia should have had a larger role.)
I loved this film especially the pointe shoe scene. Brought back a lot of memories.

4dk

S

sk8m8

Rgirl,
"I'd kiss ya but I just washed my hair."
Is a line from CABIN IN THE COTTON. B Davis once stated that it was her FAVORITE line spoken in a movie (or so she said at the AFI lifetime tribute to her.) This is one of here earliest films in the thirties where she plays a hotsie totsie "suthuhn peach."

<hr />
center]A--"Whenever you touch me, darling, I go as limp as a noodle." [/center]
<hr />
I've been racking my brain over that one for a week now. Of course it's Shelly Winters to James Mason in LOLITA. I guess I knew I was warped as a child when I saw this movie and knew it was SUPPOSED to be serious and still laughed half way through it anyway. Wasn't this a Kubrick movie, as I recall?

OK, time to draw out the real twisted people on the board, who spoke the famous lines...
" I will not have you standing downtown, annoying people selling 'stink sticks!"?

4dogknight

rgirl, from your 6/15 post:
<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>For extra points--and I don't expect anybody to know this off the top of their heads--in the film "2001: A Space Odyssey," what was the name of the actor who provided the voice of HAL? Who, btw, I consider to be the #1 greatest movie villian in all of cinema despite what that AFI 100 Best Villians and Heros thing says.[/quote]
Douglas Rain was the voice of HAL and I agree with you that monotone voice just sends chills up and down my spine. Don't you just love the lines, "I don't think so Dave" and "What are you doing, Dave?"
Rain played another 'evil' computer's voice in the Woody Allen film Sleeper. Rains has done a lot of Canadian TV which isn't surprising since he's a Winnepig native.

Oh and about the 'scary questions' answer, ; Elijah Price is Jackson’s character in Unbreakable (2000) starring Bruce Willis. In Pulp Fiction Jackson's character is named Jules Winnfield.

4dk

S

sk8cynic

My soon to be ex's name is Dave, and he had his computer set up so that whenever he hit a snag, it said "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

This one's pretty easy, but one of my faves:

"Three meters?!?! That's impossible!!!"
"It's not impossible. I used to bullseye womprats in my T-16 back home, and they're not much bigger than three meters...."

S

sk8m8

Good one Cyn, that's Luke Skywalker in the first Star Wars when they discover that blowing up a power conduit in the Death Star will start a chain reaction and blow up the whole ship.

Some great lines from a great actress in a great movie.

" The children kissed sweetly tonight"

"I'd hang you from the nipples, but you'd shock the children"

"Save your tired arches old man, that bridge has been closed to you for years"

"What family doesn't have it's up's and downs"

Son to Mother " That will happen when pigs fly"
Mother to Son " Well, they'll be pork in the trees by morning"

G

Grgranny

This isn't from a movie but funny. Lines I learned when I was a kid - so many eons ago-!
I never had so much fun since the pigs ate my little brother.
I never had so much fun since gramma got her tit caught in the wringer.
Sorry to be off topic.

S

sk8cynic

Okay sk8m8, I'm stumped. :)

Grgranny, LOL!!! My grandma used to use the "tit in a wringer" line. I haven't heard that in years. Thank you for bringing back a fond memory. :D

How 'bout: "Alligators have the right idea. They eat their young."

R

rgirl181

Piel, EASY! "Bonus question for Rgirl (this is too easy for uou I know). Your favorite actor also appeared in "Pulp Fiction". What were his lines?" You realize of course how many actors there are in "Pulp Fiction?!" Actually, my two most favorite actors, the late Jeremy Brett and the living Jeremy Irons are not in it, so you've got to be referring to either Steve Buscemi who played the waiter posing as Buddy Holly at the fake stars restaurant where John Travolta and Uma Thurman go, OR you must be referring to Christopher Walken who is related to the Bruce Willis character via the infamous watch, which Willis's girlfriend leaves at their apartment on the little kangaroo thing instead of bringing it with her to their meeting place at the motel. Since Willis MUST go back and get the watch, all kinds of problems ensue.

The only lines I can think of that Steve Buscemi as Buddy Holly the waiter or maitre de might say is, "Would you like a table or booth?"

But Christopher Walken as Captain Koons I believe it is has a whole long speech to Willis, which goes (I knew the gist, but I had to look it up for accuracy):
"The way your dad looked at it, this watch was your birthright. He'd be damned if any of the slopes were gonna get their greasy yellow hands on his boy's birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide something: his ass. Five long years, he wore this watch up his ass. Then when he died of dysentery, he gave me the watch. I hid this uncomfortable piece of metal up my ass for two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the watch to you."

EASY!? I don't even like "Pulp Fiction." In fact I think it's one of the most overrated movies of all time, lol.

Now come up with some good Jeremy Irons quotes and I'll get going. Jeremy Brett mostly played Sherlock Holmes in his later years, although he died all too young from a heart attack. Great actor. Should have made more films.
Rgirl

R

rgirl181

Just to remind folks, nobody has yet answsered the character/actor and movie for:

5. "Where's pancakes house?....WHERE'S pancakes house?....Look, I'm f***in' hungry now, ya know."

6. "A strange man defecated on my sister."

Remember character, actor, and film:D

Rgirl

R

rgirl181

4dk,
Wow, that is so interesting about your father. No wonder the boxing film genre doesn't do much for you. I love the movie, but my dad worked in the prototype shop at Motorola--not too much to affect me there, lol. I do agree, however, that Scorsese using Intermezzo from Mascagni's Cavalleria Rusticana was a brilliant move. In fact next to Kubrick, I think Scorsese uses music best in his films.

Yep, indeed it was "Ordinary People" that won best picture in 1980 over "Raging Bull" and it retrospect, both critics and movie fans have agreed that it was Hollywood's coronation of it's golden boy, Redford (in Utah, where I used to live, even before Sundance became SUNDANCE, Redford was known as Ordinary Bob) and was yet another slight to the left coast movie makers such as Scorsese. I mean really, that Redford won for Best Director of what was essentially a high budgeted movie of the week over Scorsese? Love or hate "Raging Bull," that's a director's masterpiece, IMO. Even "The Elephant Man" had far more of a director's influence on it that "Ordinary People," IMO. Oh well, don't get me started, lol.

Andy rightyo again about "Center Stage" with Amanda Schull playing the kid who is overlooked by everyone else and made a star, "Jody Sawyer." They must have used "42nd Street" as a reference in coming up with her name, at least I hope they did. And of course Ilia Kulik was in it. I would have liked to see him act more--I thought he was pretty good--but it was so obvious he was not a ballet dancer, even though they only filmed him from the waist up and made sure his t-shirt was the only one untucked. Amazing that dancers and skaters develop such different muscles. So you were a ballet dancer too long ago? Me too. And yes, I remember getting new pointe shoes only to beat the hell out of them to get them to work on your feet. The big companies are finally using pointe shoes made from the same high-tech material as running shoes. The first time I went to ABT and DIDN'T hear "clack clack clack clack" when all the dancers came running out, I was like, "What's wrong with this picture!?" This was the early '90s and they were finally using the high tech pointe shoes. Capezio blocked them for decades because these new shoes actually last a couple of months, whereas Capezio's old cardboard and glue shoes lasted one performance. So that scene in "Center Stage" was slightly out of date, though a lot of dancers still use the old shoes. Plus, you'd miss that whole "whack the pointe shoes" scene.

Sk8m8,
Yes indeedy, all those lines including, "What changed your mind? Was it my pies?" which Shelley Winters (Charlotte Haze) says to James Mason (Humbert Humbert) just as he has seen and is trying not to ogle Sue Lyon (Lolita) in Stanley Kubrick's "Lolita." I have a friend who snuck in to see "Lolita" when he was 16 when it first came out in 1962. He said "You knew that Humbert and Lolita were 'doing it' but it was just the most shocking thing in the world that you could barely believe it." Kubrick's version, which focuses mostly on the comedic talents of Peter Sellers as "Clare Quilty," a character who hardly appears in the novel, seems so tame today.

And yes, you are absolutely right about "I'd kiss ya but I just washed my hair" being said by Bette Davis in "Cabin in the Cotton." To hear her say it is the real treat. With that "suhthuhn" accent and peroxide blonde hair, she is amazing.

Hmm, "stink sticks." I'll have to ponder.
Rgirl

R

rgirl181

4dk,
Yes, it was perhaps the ultimate underrated actor Douglas Rain who brilliantly played HAL in "2001." The late Gene Siskel chose HAL as the ultimate movie villian in a show with Roger Ebert before he died and I still think Gene was right. What human villian could compete with the monotone horror of the "ultimate" intelligence who has never made an error? I too love HAL's whole business of trying to talk Dave Bowman (Keir Dullea) out of killing , that is, deprogramming HAL after HAL has killed the other astronaut Frank. "Please, Dave. What are you doing, Dave? I honestly think you ought to calm down; take a stress pill and think things over. Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this," and all the time the highly amplified breathing through Dave's helmet is the only background you hear. So incredibly creepy, so disturbing in terms of the technology developed by man turning on man. Great stuff.

Wow, I didn't know Douglas Rain was also the computer voice in "Sleeper." That's some resume. "I played the computer in 'Sleeper' and '2001.'" :lol: I'm glad to know he had more acting experience in Canada. IMO, HAL makes the whole second half of "2001" and Douglas Rain never got the credit he deserved.

Thanks for the correction on Sam Jackson's name in "Pulp Fiction." I think I got their names mixed up because of the Biblical connection.

Cynic,
That's too funny about your ex being named Dave and the way his computer was rigged. Did he ever ask his computer to sing "Daisy?":lol:
Rgirl

S

sk8cynic

Rgirl,

No, but I'll be sure to pass the idea onto him in court. :rollin:

P

Piel

Rgirl, I was referring to Steve Buscemi. As for Jeremy Irons I loved him in "Reversal of Fortune" even playing as odd a character as Klaus Von Bulow. Favorite lines from that are when Alan Dershowitz (sp?) says "You are a strange man" and Klaus replies "You have no idea", and the last line of the movie when after buying I think cigarettes the cashier notices that Klaus' picture and story are on the cover of a tabloid at the counter. The cashier asks if there will be anything else and Klaus replies "A vial of insulin....just kidding".

Piel

4dogknight

sk8m8, from your 6/17 post:
Some great lines from a great actress in a great movie.

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>1." The children kissed sweetly tonight"

2. "Save your tired arches old man, that bridge has been closed to you for years"

3. "What family doesn't have it's up's and downs"

4. Son to Mother " That will happen when pigs fly"
Mother to Son " Well, they'll be pork in the trees by morning"

5. "I'd hang you from the nipples, but you'd shock the children"[/quote]
All the above were Eleanor of Aquitane's (Katherine Hepburn) lines in the 1968 film A Lion in Winter. All lines were spoken to Henry II (Peter O'Toole) with the exception of #5. Eleanor is talking to her jewels. And #4., the actual 'pigs fly lines are:
Henry II, King of England: The day those stout hearts band together is the day that pigs get wings.
Eleanor of Aquitaine: There'll be pork in the treetops come morning.

More information:
* Peter O'Toole was nominated but lost to Cliff Robertson (Charly)
* Katherine Hepburn won her third Oscar as Best Actress in a Leading Role but tied with Barbra Streisand (Fanny Brice - Funny Girl)
* The only Oscars The Lion in Winter received were Best Screenplay from another medium and Best Original Score for a Motion Picture (John Barry)
* Best film that year went to Oliver as did the Best Directing award (Carol Reed)

I remember watching the show and thinking Oliver?, Oliver? Best Picture? I must have walked around for several days asking people if they saw the show and what did they think about the Best Picture winner. Turned out I wasn't the only one walking around asking those same questions. I still can't believe that 2001 - A Space Odyssey wasn't even nominated for Best Picture and Kubrick for Best Director.
I mean, Oliver - Best Picture! That's almost as bad a choice as Braveheart over Babe in 1995 but that's a discussion for another post.

And we think cheating and bribery is only in FS - HA!
4dk