Pick the ladies you hope make top three at nationals.... | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Pick the ladies you hope make top three at nationals....

Pick the ladies you hope make the top three at nationals

• Sasha Cohen

Votes: 22 11.5%
  • Kimmie Meissner

Votes: 36 18.8%
  • Emily Hughes

Votes: 14 7.3%
  • Katy Taylor

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Alyssa Czisny

Votes: 61 31.9%
  • Bebe Liang

Votes: 29 15.2%
  • Amber Corwin

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Michelle Kwan (don't know if she'll be there)

Votes: 14 7.3%
  • Any new people we don't know about yet :)

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • Others (please post)

Votes: 4 2.1%

• Total voters
The best pick for the US podium are, and in alphabetical order:

Megan HYATT

Megan Oster

Megan Williams-Stewart.

[I wonder what odds the bookies would give for that finish?] :cool:

Joe

scorekeeper

On the Ice
I'd say Meissner, Hughes, and either Liang or Czisny if they can pull it together this year. Taylor bombed in the Grand Prix, and she doesn't have much artistry; Zukowski could slip into third if Liang and Czisny skate poorly.

flying camel

Medalist
I hope its not Zukowski. She has no presentation. Sad to say, I would rather watch Alissa fall with style then Zukowski.

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
I pick.....

1. Kimmie Meissner (Overwhelming Favorite)
2. Emily Hughes (Everybody Love's Her)
3. Alissa Czisny (Time To Make Her Move)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kerryfan, I don't know any figure skater named Kerry. I know there's a John Curry.....

My picks:
1. Meissner
2. Flatt
3. Hughes
4. Taylor (there are reports that she's come a long way)
5. Firth

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Kerryfan, I don't know any figure skater named Kerry. I know there's a John Curry.....

My picks:
1. Meissner
2. Flatt
3. Hughes
4. Taylor (there are reports that she's come a long way)
5. Firth

To me honestly, I think the 3rd spot is up for grabs, I would think that if both Kimmie and Emily skate well they are pretty much a lock for the world team. It would be nice to see if someone like Rachael Flatt or Katy Taylor make the team.

It's a shame that some of the older veterans like Alissa Czisny and Beatrisa Liang haven't been doing well at all. It's now or never for these Ladies

Cal Girl

Rinkside
I have to admit I was a real Katy fan after her LP last year and her subsequent lead up through the ranks prior to last year. BUT . . . I think the puberty monster that we have all witnessed through the years has grabbed her. I hope she can pull it together and finish in the top 6 at Nationals but I do not think it will happen this year. I also think she is too robotic for a senior lady. It worked when she was young but I feel as a senior lady you need to be musical and lyrical throughout your entire body. She just doesnt look comfortable in that role.
I think it will be:
Kimmie
Alissa
Rachael
Emily
Megan
Katy

R.D.

Record Breaker
Alyssa's now considered a veteran?? :rofl:

If I had my way Alyssa would be on that podium somewhere (likely 3rd under Hughes and Meissner). I don't really care as much about Katy or BeBe.

If I REALLY had my way, Alyssa would finally pull it together when it counts (regardless of where that places her).

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker

If I had my way Alyssa would be on that podium somewhere (likely 3rd under Hughes and Meissner). I don't really care as much about Katy or BeBe.

If I REALLY had my way, Alyssa would finally pull it together when it counts (regardless of where that places her).

Well she has been on the scene for a while and she did go to the GPF once.

To me that merits some credit.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I remember being shown in 2004 (?) and she definitely was one of those obscure skaters. She and Sarah Meier are two of those obscure skaters that somehow suddenly seemed to make a name for themselves.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
In this year's ladies field, yes. 2007 will be Alissa Czisny's 6th senior appearance at Nationals -- only Bebe Liang has competed in more (6). Czisny's best finish to date is 7th (twice) and Liang's is 5th.

I remember [Czisny] being shown in 2004 (?) and she definitely was one of those obscure skaters.
I believe 2004 Skate America was Czisny's first nationally televised appearance. I follow "obscure" skaters from the lower levels, and it's always fascinating to me to see which ones make it to the senior national level (Czisny in 2002), which ones make it to national TV and are noticed (Stephanie Rosenthal last year in the expanded TV coverage, for example), and which ones go on to senior international success.

R.D.

Record Breaker
RD - Do I get the feeling you have feelings for Alyssa? I had thought it was Emily.

I do want Alyssa to do well at least at one major competition. She's never been able to do it and as you know I tend to go for the underdog. Plus, I like(d?) her style to boot.

I'm not sure where you got Emily's name from but she's not bad either. The one thing that may stop me from really liking her is that she's got USA written all over her, just like her sister Sarah. (you know...the "rah rah" kind). Take that away and you have a good-looking skater with some spunk on the ice (if not a little "clunky" compared to the sticks out there). :cool:

In this year's ladies field, yes. 2007 will be Alissa Czisny's 6th senior appearance at Nationals -- only Bebe Liang has competed in more (6). Czisny's best finish to date is 7th (twice) and Liang's is 5th.

oh, I didn't know she was around for that long. I only knew her since 04 when she was first shown on ABC tv.

I believe 2004 Skate America was Czisny's first nationally televised appearance. I follow "obscure" skaters from the lower levels, and it's always fascinating to me to see which ones make it to the senior national level (Czisny in 2002), which ones make it to national TV and are noticed (Stephanie Rosenthal last year in the expanded TV coverage, for example), and which ones go on to senior international success.

yeah...I can't remember how she did but I think later she really stood out to me. When she did well at SA 05 and won SC 05 I was hopeful for her but didn't expect great things for her because I knew of her inconsistency. I was willing to wait to see how she did at the GPF and Nats before I jumped on the bandwagon like everyone else did. Unfortunately we all know what happened at the GPF and at Nats and she seems to be in a rut now. I don't let hopes get in the way of my predictions and I really don't expect anything great or even good from her after that disastrous COR performance. At this point two falls from her would be pretty good IMO.

And before I hear it, just take one good look at my custom title. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

flying camel

Medalist
It seems like Alissa has only been around for a short time. I can't believe this is her 6th Nationals. Well for me up until last year I could not watch her skate. Everytime you watched her it was fall fall fall. I guess she is back to that. She just has no confidence. Also I have to agree with someone who said Alissa has endurance problems. Sometimes she just looks exhausted. The traveling & skating just does not agree with her. She should be at Nationals now. She should not be getting there a couple of days before. She & BeBe are picking up where Amber Corwin left off.

Last edited:
I remember being shown in 2004 (?) and she definitely was one of those obscure skaters. She and Sarah Meier are two of those obscure skaters that somehow suddenly seemed to make a name for themselves.
Sara Meier was in Worlds 2003. Not so obscure. I think, RD, you were in your Kwan/Cohen period. :laugh:

Joe

In fact, Sarah was at 2001 Worlds. But she never finished high enough to be shown on American TV until last year.

By the way, in 2000 she competed in Junior Worlds and won the bronze. Jenny Kirk was first, Deanna Stellato was second and Sasha Cohen was sixth.