NBC Olympic Figure Skating DVD Set: anyone have it? | Golden Skate

NBC Olympic Figure Skating DVD Set: anyone have it?

R.D.

Record Breaker
hey, I was contemplating whether or not to purchase the DVD set. I'm hoping it has more "complete" coverage and interviews that were not shown on the broadcast. Can anyone who has this DVD set give a sort of "mini-review"? Is it just a "regurgitation" of what was shown or is there also bonus footage included?

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
I have it. I don't think it was worth what I paid for it. I don't think it shows much of anything that wasn't shown on television. Overall, I was disappointed.

heyang

Record Breaker
I doubt it includes much since it's only 2 DVD's. I've got about 10 DVD's at 4 hours each of NBC Skating coverage. This includes most episodes of Olympic Ice - my DVR didn't change the channel properly a couple of times when I wasn't home.

R.D.

Record Breaker
hmm. I've made a couple DVDs myself of broadcast footage so maybe I'll pass on this one. I'm looking for more exclusive footage (i.e. interviews, backstage, etc.), stuff that wasn't shown on TV. Lately I've been browsing the largely untapped resource of the video section of nbcolympics.com and found some neat stuff...I was wondering if there was any way some of that stuff was available off the site (to download, in better quality, etc.).

Did you know that there is a link to watch the ENTIRE ladies' Olympic short program uninterrupted on that site? (they don't have the free though, or any of the other disciplines from what I can see). Just go to the Olympic Zone section and you'll find it. (Non-Americans, you may be out of luck on this one because to access the OZ you need to be in a US city.)

Diva: is it just skates on that DVD or do they have other footage as well? You said there wasn't much not shown on TV, but please elaborate- is it uninterrupted footage (like on the site)? Are there commentators talking during the performances? Are there interviews and fluff pieces shown as well (like the TV broadcast)?

I think I will email the question to NBC as well.

Last edited:

Jhar55

Medalist
I have it and wasn't what I thought I'd be getting. Was little disappointed in it.

R.D.

Record Breaker
but, lol, you guys aren't answering my question(s). From what I get people seem to be underwhelmed by the set but what does it actually contain? (It doesn't say on the website.)

Brittany2112

Spectator
I have the DVD with the pairs and ladies. I honestly have not watched the ladies section of the DVD but I think it has all of the medilists long and short programs and probably some other people's SP.
The pairs section has all of the medalists long programs and short programs as well as Inoue/Baldwin and Petrova/Tekhonov's SP.

I was a bit annoyed that I paid what I paid for what was on that DVD so I didn't order the other one but I imagine it is about the same though. It is basically just the actual programs(with NBC commentary) and then the scores. There was no bonus features on the DVD I have(other than a brief recap), and no fluff peices. I doubt there is any on the other one.

R.D.

Record Breaker
hey, thanks for answering my question and welcome to the forum. :)

Well, that's IT? wow, sounds like there's even less coverage on the DVD then what they showed on TV? Not even any interviews afterward?

Heck, the ONLY reason I would get the DVD is for any bonus features. I already watched (and taped) the broadcast so I don't need a re-gurgitation of what was already shown! (it would also be cool to have the programs without commentary like they do on the website.)

What a disappointment, and I haven't even bought the thing.

P.S. if you have the time could you quickly pop in the ladies DVD and tell me what's featured there? I notice NBC usually has more in-depth coverage of the ladies than the others (but more or less balanced it during their OI coverage).

Hmm...so I guess there's only one disc per discipline, huh? Guess there can't be much more than a few programs on there.

Last edited:

Brittany2112

Spectator
lol, I actually got curious and popped the DVD in a min ago. There is actually two disiplines per DVD, but the way it is set up on the menu you can choose one without ever seeing the other. The ladies DVD has both the long and short programs of Irina Slutskaya, Shizuka Arakawa, Sasha Cohen, Kimmie Miesner, and Emily Hughes. The only fluff I have seen is at the beginning(if you hit play all) and it's basically a discription of where the compition was held and they breifly mention Michelle Kwan's withdrawl and a brief recap of the whole compition before any of the actual programs are shown. The sort of describe the compitors briefly as well but nothing new or interesting. It's basically a little bit of recaps and then the actaul programs.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Thanks again.

That's very disappointing. Only 5 ladies? Basically the medal winners and the Americans.

The "special fluff"- was that also shown on TV? (I think I watched something similar on Youtube but don't know if that's the same one or not.)

If it's indeed the one I saw on YT, it's really nothing new. They need to make it a full DVD set and show at least the last two groups (and maybe any Americans not in those groups), then have a "bonus features" section where they feature fluff pieces, interviews and backstage footage. Sort of like they did the broadcast, you know?

Brittany2112

Spectator
No problem. I don't think the recaps or whatever they were aired on tv but it was nothing new. They just showed clips of the skating and talked about what happened before they actaully showed the full skates, like they talked about how Sasha and Irina fell and Shizuka won and then they showed the actual performances. They did the same with the pairs. The did give brief discriprition of the medalists, but it was nothing I hadn't heard before. It was pretty much a waste of money, imo.

R.D.

Record Breaker
thanks for the heads up, sounds like you just saved me $20
rolleyes.gif
go figure...skating.

I take it there were no interviews or such. Well, that is pretty underwhelming.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
That is a "load" that there is less than 45 minutes of skating on a DVD. I wonder if they still even have any recording of the others. I have more.

R.D.

Record Breaker
A good question to ask the folks over at nbc. I sent them an email but haven't gotten a reply back yet (I doubt I'll ever get one).