Pairs FS | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Pairs FS

Wren

Rinkside
BTW, who else are doing sbs spins as close as D/D. It does appear quite dangerous.

I can't think of anyone... Why is it that sbs spins are supposed to be as close as possible? I mean, they should be reasonably close but is there something harder about being that close besides just needed to be extra careful?

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
To Rinkmaster: Please pass on our very best wishes to Jessica and Bryce from their fans all over the world, and I hope to see them in good spirits at Worlds if possible. :)

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
I can't think of anyone... Why is it that sbs spins are supposed to be as close as possible? I mean, they should be reasonably close but is there something harder about being that close besides just needed to be extra careful?

To be as close as possible has this 'wow' factor. You don't usually get this 'wow' from a sbs spin, you got it from huge throws, twist, jumps.

But to get as close as possible and to be in perfect unison is really sth magnificent. It's like two truly skate as one.

Last edited:

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
overtime

BTW, I read from other board, that 1 point deduction is again overtime penalty, poor shen&zhao.

Wren

Rinkside
To be as close as possible has this 'wow' factor. You don't usually get this 'wow' from a sbs spin, you got it from huge throws, twist, jumps.

But to get as close as possible and to be in perfect unison is really sth magnificent. It's like two skate as one.

I guess that makes sense, it certainly does get the 'wow' factor. It has that perfected quality that makes it so easy on the eyes. I can't help wondering if the closeness is worth the risk though after something like this... I guess there are risks in everything but still...

It seems like there are very very few teams right now who can do decent sbs spins. That's something the old Russian pairs used to be excellent at. This year I could probably count of one hand the number of sbs spins I've seen that haven't gotten out of sync. Even Shen and Zhao often have trouble after the change of foot.
Jessica and Byce's were definetly one of the pairs who could do a good set though.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
spins. That's something the old Russian pairs used to be excellent at. This year I could probably count of one hand the number of sbs spins I've seen that haven't gotten out of sync. Even Shen and Zhao often have trouble after the change of foot.
Jessica and Byce's were definetly one of the pairs who could do a good set though.

Shen & Zhao's sbs spins are always their nemesis. I really love love them, but everytime I saw the posture of shen's sit spin, I was cringing. Anyway, which pair does not have weakness? :rock:

I guess the bad sbs spins you see these days have to do with new rules. There are just too many changes of feet, positions. I watched some clips in 2000-2001. Even Shen&Zhao had great unison in their spin at that time since they did not need to do spins that they were awkward with.

D&D's spins are truly amazing considering the difficulty. They are fast, centered and close together.

All the other pairs are pretty bad. The German pair S&S tend to lose unison completely at the end since they spin too fast.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
omg I didn't see sar80s post until just now... what an awful photo...

my stomach is so sick. :cry:

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I guess that makes sense, it certainly does get the 'wow' factor. It has that perfected quality that makes it so easy on the eyes. I can't help wondering if the closeness is worth the risk though after something like this... I guess there are risks in everything but still...

The problem occurs when one partner's spin starts to travel, I guess that's why other Pairs stay further apart to factor in that if one travels, in a Camel position especially, it would still leave room not to touch.

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
Oh my goodness, http://www.gazette.com/display.php?id=1329766 look at the ice under, not in front, of Jessica's arm. That is a scary amount of blood. Any chance a lot of that could have come from her nose? Poor girl, I really hope she is ok.

When I first looked at the photo in post #9 I immediately thought that it might be her nose. It definitely looks like the towel is more on her nose than under her left eye, but who knows? I just hope that she will be alright. Bryce must be beside himself right about now.

Wren

Rinkside
Shen & Zhao's sbs spins are always their nemesis. I really love love them, but everytime I saw the posture of shen's sit spin, I was cringing. Anyway, which pair does not have weakness? :rock:

I guess the bad sbs spins you see these days have to do with new rules. There are just too many changes of feet, positions. I watched some clips in 2000-2001. Even Shen&Zhao had great unison in their spin at that time since they did not need to do spins that they were awkward with.

D&D's spins are truly amazing considering the difficulty. They are fast, centered and close together.

All the other pairs are pretty bad. The German pair S&S tend to lose unison completely at the end since they spin too fast.

I guess it all comes done to this darn new system again ; ) It has it's good points but it still needs so much work in my opinion.
Yeah, I love Shen and Zhao and thinking about it you're right, I don't remember their spins being an issue before. It's a hard to get difficulty and quality balanced these days.
I only 'discovered' D&D at the beginning of these season and when I saw some of their programs that was one of the first things I noticed. It was very satisfying to see such well executed spins after all these poor ones.

gsrossano

Final Flight
When I first looked at the photo in post #9 I immediately thought that it might be her nose. It definitely looks like the towel is more on her nose than under her left eye, but who knows? I just hope that she will be alright. Bryce must be beside himself right about now.

The laceration is across the left cheek, about 2 inches below the eye, and across the nose. (My view through the camera in the arena). It looks to be 4-6 inches long.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
I guess it all comes done to this darn new system again ; ) It has it's good points but it still needs so much work in my opinion.
Yeah, I love Shen and Zhao and thinking about it you're right, I don't remember their spins being an issue before. It's a hard to get difficulty and quality balanced these days.
I only 'discovered' D&D at the beginning of these season and when I saw some of their programs that was one of the first things I noticed. It was very satisfying to see such well executed spins after all these poor ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSJKcMg2z7Y

Watch D&D's sbs spin at 2:40. They are really much closer than most other pairs.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty
read from other board

Looks like a very wide laceration, 6''. It's awful. Hope it will not have any impact on her face.

Wren

Rinkside
Ouch. 6" is really wide, that's probably the width of my whole face! Hopefully it wasn't too deep.