Most successful coach? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Most successful coach?

emma

Record Breaker
I can't believe I forgot about Bin Yao...sorry. He totally deserves to be called one of the greats!!!

When I think of Moskvina - i think artur dimtriev and his partners. She coached other greats, simultaneously at times - but that's what sticks out for me (another coach of olympic champions!).

alyona

Rinkside
Toi add to DiscoDuck's list...

Tatiana "I-coach-Olympic-champions" Tarasova:

Rodnina and Zaitsev, 1976
Rodnina and Zaitsev, 1980
Bestemianova and Bukin, 1988
Klimova and Ponomarenko, 1992
Grishuk and Platov, 1994
Grishuk and Platov, 1998
Ilia Kulik, 1998
Alexei Yagudin, 2002.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

To be absolutely fair: the first GP's OGM was won under Linichuk :)
But I totally agree with your :bow: :bow: :bow: - she's really great :rock: She maybe greater as a producer/ director/ choreographer than as a pure coach (you can love or hate her choreo style but you can't deny it's impressive and effective). And I can't help but admire her personality 'though I realize how tough it can be to deal with her day by day :)

I should mention Carlo Fassi, Frank Carol, Stanislav Zhuk (ohh what a difficult men he was), Igor Moskvin and maybe Tamara Moskvina among other great coaches. My honour mention goes to Yelena Tchaikovskaya for her contribution to the modern ice dancing formation)

Fossi

Final Flight
I think TT is one of the most successful for various reasons. It's well known she won't stick with a head case and can work wiht whomever she wants, really.
Frank Carroll is also very successful and Richard Callaghan. What about Robin Wagner? She was a great success too.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Frank Carroll is also very successful and Richard Callaghan. What about Robin Wagner? She was a great success too.
No, I don't think having 1 Olympic champion who did not stick around along enough to contribute significantly to the sport qualifies. Just as it's right NOT to include Galina Zmievskaya in the list despite the two Olympic champions she raised.

Oh, and I do agree with you on Carroll and Callaghan - though IMHO they can hardly go into the same category as Fassi.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Oh, and I do agree with you on Carroll and Callaghan - though IMHO they can hardly go into the same category as Fassi.

I know Fassi coached several OGMs during the era of compulsory figures. Did any of his students win any world or Olympic medalists after the abolition of figures?

jennylovskt

Medalist
Toi add to DiscoDuck's list...

Tatiana "I-coach-Olympic-champions" Tarasova:

Rodnina and Zaitsev, 1976
Rodnina and Zaitsev, 1980
Bestemianova and Bukin, 1988
Klimova and Ponomarenko, 1992
Grishuk and Platov, 1994
Grishuk and Platov, 1998
Ilia Kulik, 1998
Alexei Yagudin, 2002.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

With my limited knowledge, Tatiana Tarasova is The most successful coach!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I know Fassi coached several OGMs during the era of compulsory figures. Did any of his students win any world or Olympic medalists after the abolition of figures?
Fassi did not live far beyond the abolition of figures.

IMO what makes Fassi one of THE great coaches is not the number of Olympic medals his students won. It is the way he influenced international and especially American figure skating. The sport would not have been the same without him.

Plus, he was the only American coach who had a clue about how to play the ISU political game. :cool:

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
I may not always be a fan, but:
Maroseff
Torazeva
Masskvenah
Meechann
Zmeheevskaiaia (used to be)

And whoever coaches the top 3 in every discipline. IMO.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Fassi did not live far beyond the abolition of figures.

IMO what makes Fassi one of THE great coaches is not the number of Olympic medals his students won. It is the way he influenced international and especially American figure skating. The sport would not have been the same without him.

I thought Carlo Fassi died in 1997 at Worlds.

discoduck

On the Ice

I believe he did. I remember that he was coaching Nicole Bobek at the time and she was very emotional during her performance. I'm not sure if he was actually in Lausanne when he died but it was definitely that week.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Right. I know he outlived compulsory figures by 7 years. However, even by 1990, Fassi was past his prime as a coach; I think if he were a young man at that point, he would have re-adjusted.

alyona

Rinkside
Huh we definately missed Jutta Muller! Her students swept all 3 ladies OGM of 80th not to mention olympic silvers of Jan Hoffmann and Gaby Seyfert and numerous world and european titles.

Something in me stood up against including Alexei Mishin in the list but well he has 2,5 olympic champions, and his students definately determined a modern era in men single skating!

Natalia Linichuk and Gennadi Karponosov are very successful coaches (well not great yet, but the topic is successfulness ;)). They have only :)biggrin:) one olympic gold as coaches but their overall achievements (olympic silvers, world titles) are very impressive. They know how to make things :cool:

of course John Nicks

I'd also liked to mention Victor Kudriavtsev, Natalia Dubova and the Velikovs as... mmmm... those who are incomparable in teaching a technic. What they all miss is those skills in presenting skaters, giving them a "full package", maybe in psychology. All those things Tarasova is a queen in :)

And sorry me for being so ignorant - who were those Britain coaches whose students reigned ice dancing world before the 70th? I believe they were very succesful in terms of world and european titles and that's not their fault that they didn't raised olympic champions in those years :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Carlo Fassi was a legend in his day... but I can't list everyone of his skaters... right now only Scott Hamilton and Nicole Bobek come to mind (though didn't Dorothy Hamill and Robin Cousins train under him too... or Peggy? I dunno I'm lost lol)

alyona

Rinkside
you're right Tonichelle :) Peggy Fleming, John Curry, Dorothy Hamill, Robin Cousins, Jill Trenary, and also Scott, Paul Wylie and Nicole Bobek for some parts of their carrears :)
Meanwhile wasn't Karen Cadavy his student too?

flying camel

Medalist
you're right Tonichelle :) Peggy Fleming, John Curry, Dorothy Hamill, Robin Cousins, Jill Trenary, and also Scott, Paul Wylie and Nicole Bobek for some parts of their carrears :)
Meanwhile wasn't Karen Cadavy his student too?

Yes, he did coach Kadavy up to the 88 Olympics. But she left him because he made too much of a competitive enviroment between her and Jill Trenary. She said she and Jill were once the best of friends. She said she had to leave.

antmanb

Record Breaker
And sorry me for being so ignorant - who were those Britain coaches whose students reigned ice dancing world before the 70th? I believe they were very succesful in terms of world and european titles and that's not their fault that they didn't raised olympic champions in those years :)

I think it was Betty Callaway that taught T&D. I don't remember much about their situation once they left to train in Oberstdorf though - was Dean coach and choreographer to T&D once they left england?

Ant

antmanb

Record Breaker
Carlo Fassi was a legend in his day... but I can't list everyone of his skaters... right now only Scott Hamilton and Nicole Bobek come to mind (though didn't Dorothy Hamill and Robin Cousins train under him too... or Peggy? I dunno I'm lost lol)

Both Cousins and Curry trained under Fassi once they managed to get funding to train away from the UK. I think Curry recommended that Cousins train under Fassi.

Ant

alyona

Rinkside
flying camel, thanks, that was very interesting.
I remember watching a fluff from 1988 Olympics when all three girls chatted about their training in Colorado (Debby used to train there before the Olympics). They were very kind and friendly to each other but yes you could suppose that Karyn was... ughm... the most fragile of them. It must have been not easy for her to share a rink with Gentle Diva Jill :)

I think it was Betty Callaway that taught T&D. I don't remember much about their situation once they left to train in Oberstdorf though - was Dean coach and choreographer to T&D once they left england?
Ant, thanks, I'm aware of Betty being TD's coach :)
I meant the coach/coaches who trained all those English teams _before_ the 70th. Well, Lawrence Demmy, Courtney Jones, Towler/ Ford... Who was their coaches? wikipedia failed as usual...

Last edited: