How many hours does a competitve skater train? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How many hours does a competitve skater train?

chrissy51

Rinkside
Roller skating unattractive??

To you it may be unattractive but it's twice as hard to do triple jumps. Once you've done it believe me doing it on ice is easy.

FSWer

Rinkside
Say,how many hrs. do you start off training for when your just starting to train competitively?

chinesechanfan

Rinkside
Ah, thank you for breaking it down. Five hours per day sounds a little more reasonable (although still intense). My physio said that four hours of training per day (in total) is the most a competitive athlete should train. Beyond that you just increase the risk of injury including overuse injuries and also burnout.

I'm also wondering whether skating too much can lead to an unaesthetically pleasing body to the eye. For instance, a certain skater has skated nearly 8 hours per day almost everyday of her life (predominantly jumping) and I wonder whether that has affected the bulkiness and shortening of the muscles. If it is indeed true, skating too much can backfire from an aesthetic sense.

no, technically, skaters dont always do jumps. u say that its predominantly jumps though, maybe its just doing jumps here and there (like 40min jumps, take a breather in spins or field and stuff then do some jumps again). since we are under the new CoP system, isnt it reasonable spend a bit more time on creativity and difficult tricks? the way we practice really depends on the type of skaters we are. there are generally two types: dancers and jumpers. it doesnt matter if u have a background on dancing or not. if u have it, then u have it. jumpers would obviously spend most of their times jumping on the same jumps everyday while the artsy one would do mostly edging and controling kinda thing on the ice and would spend a period of time jumping. the time of jumping for these skaters would really depend on how much they really want these jumps or their physical conditions. so i hope this would be of some use to u

mskater93

Record Breaker
Most high level FS skaters here, (and we have a lot of Nov-Seniors) even if they are artistic, spend most of their sessions jumping. I'd estimate that for every hour on the ice, they spend 40-45 minutes jumping. And jumping. And jumping. Then another 4.5 minutes on their program. Which contains jumps. Then 10-15 minutes on spins and connecting steps.