Should I change my Edea Chorus boots? | Golden Skate

Should I change my Edea Chorus boots?

nweronika22

Spectator
Hello everyone!:)
I’m new here and I’m writing hoping someone
can give some advice on my boots problem.
A little background:
Im 175cm and weight about 53kg. I’m 23yo and I’ve been skating for 3 years. From the beginning I’ve been training pretty intensely, during season I spend about 18 hours on ice per week. Off season I still skate but only 3-5 hours per week. I bought Choruses about 1.5 year ago.
I started working on my Axel and double jumps a year ago.
The problem:
For over a month my boots have felt loose in the ankle. I don’t particularly feel unstable but especially when I jump I feel the heel of my foot moving up inside the skate. I have to retie them multiple times during training and shortly after they get loose again anyway. I’ve changed the laces and it didn’t help, neither did wearing thicker socks.
An even bigger issue is that since about the same time my feet have been hurting so much in them, I can’t focus on skating. It’s a cramp like feeling that doesn’t stop until I take the boots of.
Is it possible the boots are just done? Are they even the right model for a tall adult doing double jumps and skating so much?
Im especially confused because the boots look fine, there’s no creasing. Only the holes for laces “stretched” towards the tongue. I don’t know how long these boots usually last.
I no longer need advice on this topic:)

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello everyone!:)
I’m new here and I’m writing hoping someone
can give some advice on my boots problem.
A little background:
Im 173cm and weight about 53kg. I’m 21yo and I’ve been skating for 2 years. From the beginning I’ve been training pretty intensely tho, during season I spend about 18 hours on ice per week. Off season I still skate but only 3-5 hours per week. I bought Choruses about 1.5 year ago.
I started working on my Axel and double jumps 10 months (sometimes I manage to land some of them).
The problem:
For over a month my boots have felt loose in the ankle. I don’t particularly feel unstable but especially when I jump I feel the heel of my foot moving up inside the skate. I have to retie them multiple times during training and shortly after they get loose again anyway. I’ve changed the laces and it didn’t help, neither did wearing thicker socks. My coaches said the tongue is pretty soft and that if I can I could buy new boots but didn’t really give much advice.
An even bigger issue is that since about the same time my feet have been hurting so much in them, I can’t focus on skating. It’s a cramp like feeling that doesn’t stop until I take the boots of.
Is it possible the boots are just done? Are they even the right model for a tall adult doing double jumps and skating so much?
Im especially confused because the boots look fine, there’s no creasing. Only the holes for laces “stretched” towards the tongue. I don’t know how long these boots usually last. I’d be very grateful for your help!!
Hi and welcome. Okay, first of all 18 hours a week of training is too much for someone that's not an elite or advanced competitive skater.
Next, Edea may not be the brand for you, it sounds like they don't work great with your foot shape and needs. Also, you aren't that tall and don't weigh that much, your boots are rated 75 and for doubles. After 1.5 years and training so much they may just be done at this point but I wouldn't move you up to Concerto if you were to stay with Edea b/c I fear they would be too much/stiff.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
I'm amazed you've gotten 18 months out of those boots with that crazy high number of hours per week. Agree Chorus is the right model boot for you, but if you're going to continue to skate that much, you need to plan to get new boots at least every 12 months.

nweronika22

Spectator
Hi and welcome. Okay, first of all 18 hours a week of training is too much for someone that's not an elite or advanced competitive skater.
Next, Edea may not be the brand for you, it sounds like they don't work great with your foot shape and needs. Also, you aren't that tall and don't weigh that much, your boots are rated 75 and for doubles. After 1.5 years and training so much they may just be done at this point but I wouldn't move you up to Concerto if you were to stay with Edea b/c I fear they would be too much/stiff.
Thanks for the advice! Edeas seemed the most comfortable of all brands I tried in store and until a month ago I was completely happy with them so I think Im gonna stay with this brand.

nweronika22

Spectator
I'm amazed you've gotten 18 months out of those boots with that crazy high number of hours per week. Agree Chorus is the right model boot for you, but if you're going to continue to skate that much, you need to plan to get new boots at least every 12 months.
Thanks for your help, I didn’t realize skates get used so fast. In that case I’d rather get stiffer boots so they last longer… I have friends in similar circumstances who have ice fly or pianos and say they’re great. I’m just hoping to safe some money if possible

Elija

On the Ice
Thanks for your help, I didn’t realize skates get used so fast. In that case I’d rather get stiffer boots so they last longer… I have friends in similar circumstances who have ice fly or pianos and say they’re great. I’m just hoping to safe some money if possible
If you’re skating that much (18 hours a week is A LOT), no boots are going to last years. It’s normal to get new ones every 1-2 years, and ice flys will be twice the price, so probably not going to save money.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
It is far better to stick with the boots that are the right level for you and deal with the fact you have to replace them probably yearly than to overboot yourself in an attempt to save money. Unless you want to risk compromising your progress but that's entirely up to you. Your skating journey is yours.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Is this your first pair of Edeas? The reason I ask is that Edeas are built differently from other boots. The tongue is designed to allow for easier forward flexion that most other boots, to allow for deep knee bend and easy break-in time, while still providing good lateral support. For the same reason, they’re also shaped to fit more loosely around the top of the ankle than other boots, so the tongue can flex forward without having to pull as hard on the rest of the boot.

This all makes it very important to follow Edea’s instructions for lacing and tying the boots. Doing this incorrectly can cause the boot not to work as designed, and even to break down early. Trying to tie them really tightly around the top of the ankle is a very common mistake, I’ve heard - people assume they need to fit tightly all the way up, like other boots.

If you haven’t been tying them the Edea way, it’s possible that’s what led to the problems you’re having, and you’ll probably be fine getting a new pair of the Chorus if you make sure to tie them correctly.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks for the advice! Edeas seemed the most comfortable of all brands I tried in store and until a month ago I was completely happy with them so I think Im gonna stay with this brand.

You're welcome but...
Why come ask experts for advice and how it works in skating for properly fit boots for your level, when you aren't really taking the advice? Have you even had a proper fitting with a figure skate pro fitter, if not, you need to and upon asking we could suggest one in your area of the world.

good luck!

nweronika22

Spectator
You're welcome but...
Why come ask experts for advice and how it works in skating for properly fit boots for your level, when you aren't really taking the advice? Have you even had a proper fitting with a figure skate pro fitter, if not, you need to and upon asking we could suggest one in your area of the world.

good luck!
I dont understand you… I am taking your advice and yes I have a skates fitter

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
I dont understand you… I am taking your advice and yes I have a skates fitter
You're talking about getting Ice Flies or Pianos. Those boots are rated for triple and quadruple jumps. Despite Edeas marketing campaign, you CAN overboot yourself if you get boots that are rated higher than your skill level and weight call for. In your case, the correct Edea model is Chorus.

nweronika22

Spectator
I didnt say I wanted to get them. Simply asked what you think about that since I see MANY adult skaters my level who have them and are very satisfied with that choice. If someone doesnt want to or cant explain their opinion on that - dont but I only asked cause as far as I know this is the place to do that. For anyone reading this thread, I no longer need advice on this topic. Thanks to everyone who’s helped!