Plushenko's Return | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Plushenko's Return

Medusa

Record Breaker
I didn't like the Tango program at all - there were no thoughts behind the program, there were no real emotions, there was no story or music-appropriate structure. It seemed like a bunch of (bad) moves generally associated with Tango-music (but different kinds of Tango music - Plushenko went from just doing the jumps to some dramatic pseudo-Tango movements, then to some comical stuff with his hip swing, to some skating around and in the end he pretended to dance with someone?) thrown together to some generic Tango-like music.

Plushenko used to have style - he lost that sometime in 2004. And now he is tainting this divine dance.

I hope among all those Tangos this season, we see a really great one - I can tolerate Verner's LP though it's nothing great, Takahashi's SP is definitely good - but I want one Tango to be really sensational.

Hopefully Plushenko improves the performance part of his performances - I don't care how many Quads and Quints he jumps, this program is just horrific.

heyang

Record Breaker
Evgeni is, and has been an audience pleaser with his style of mannerisms. His pauses throughout the program are also part of his style with the audience. QUOTE]

You just named one of the reasons I don't like his body of work - all the pausing and posing....

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Also I've always felt it unfair to those who've been working so hard in the interim to be ousted by someone who, through his/her own choice, has opted NOT to compete and then turns around and decides to jump back in.

Course who ever said life is fair?

It's a sport. There's nothing unfair with the best winning. If Plushenko is still the best that is.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Oh darn. I am sorry to hear this news. I think Plushenko should let the new guys have the spotlight. He has had his glory days. Besides is he really up to the challenge?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Evgeni is, and has been an audience pleaser with his style of mannerisms. His pauses throughout the program are also part of his style with the audience. QUOTE]

You just named one of the reasons I don't like his body of work - all the pausing and posing....

My feelings too. Plushenko has a huge ego.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
He did TWO triple toes in that video, and the first was a triple-double-double combination. Don't forget he was skating under a spotlight, which is extremely difficult. The fact that he did an easy-looking triple axel under the spotlight tells me he's going to have no trouble pulling out a quad toe by the time he needs it for competition.

Hmm, I didn't see a Triple Axel in that video? Just a double.

But I did see two Triple Toes and a Triple Lutz.

antmanb

Record Breaker
I'm seriously worried he's going to win even if he isn't the best.

I would never underestimate the corruption of figure skating judges, however, the reason Pulschenko was always handed his victories with such huge margins was because he was the most consistent jumper of his time (probably in the history of the sport) and for a number of years could rattle off programs with at least one or two quads and 7 or 8 triples. Leaving aside his inflated PCS for the moment, he could always beat his competition just by jumping. As if that wasn't bad enough (fault of the system not valuing spins or footwork as much as triples and quads) the judges also seem to load his PCS (which i have never understood except perhaps in SS.

I think if he did return the judges would not hand him victories and high PCS unless he got his old jump consistency, and that is not a given.

I've also just looked up some of his performances and he has a pretty bad lip, so he'd be looking at -GOEs on his flip attempts too.

Ant

Last edited:

merrybari

Final Flight
For the last 3 years we have been told one thing, then another concerning PLushenko's "comeback." Personally I think he will be in no shape to skate competitively in 2010 (although the Men's field has not gained that much difficultly compared to the ladies). Just when nobody is talking about him anymore he out pops another article like this. To me it is just his publisist making sure nobody forgets his name so he can still headline all the big shows.

I'm inclined to agree.

Kasey

Medalist
I doubt that he would win, or even medal, internationally if he is not up to the level. There are too many other skaters who have been working hard at improving in the last 2 seasons, who right now are better. But I wouldn't doubt that he would be seriously held up at Russian Nationals and take a spot at Euros and Worlds from another skater.

I doubt that he would win, or even medal, internationally if he is not up to the level. There are too many other skaters who have been working hard at improving in the last 2 seasons, who right now are better. But I wouldn't doubt that he would be seriously held up at Russian Nationals and take a spot at Euros and Worlds from another skater.
That is the sad part. He will win Russian Nats; he will go to Euros and meet up with Verner, Lambiiel, Joubert and maybe Brezina. He will still be the only one eligible and forfeit the places of the upcoming Russian boys.

I hope we get a stream of Russian Nats to see it played out in full.

Snowgirl

On the Ice
I doubt Plushenko will ever show up for Russian Nats. With all the amount of touring and TV job, no way can he improve his shape, jumps and spins. It needs lots of work, but it doesn't seem he will have time for it.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
If you look at the Mishin interview I posted - the coach does say that Plushenko is not really training to be competitive at this point.

Mafke

Medalist
Technically he doesn't have to be competitive by Russian nationals since IINM the Russian federation doesn't necessary use nats as a criteria for choosing teams for euros or worlds.

He'd just have to get into shape for Euros and/or worlds (and if that goes well do grand prix next year? I can't imagine that's high on his list of priorities.

Given all the negative side effects, the idea of his comeback really doesn't seem very realistic at this point (unless it's _only_ to get more Russian men in the olympics which he wouldn't hang around for).
At Turin all he had left that was competitive were the jumps and even those had gone downhill since aroudn 2002-03. Even if he could get back a quad or two his spins and footwork will either let him down or the judges would have to totall gift him (which they might do).

Once more, I'll believe it when he skates in a competition.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
If you look at the Mishin interview I posted - the coach does say that Plushenko is not really training to be competitive at this point.

I was just going to post the same thing. Thanks for the translation of the article.

I don't see any reason why Plushenko would want to come back to competitive skating. I think it all is just publicity..