Practice reports? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Practice reports?

Love_Skate

Rinkside
Did I hear the reporter say that Miki is popular in Korea?

As far as I know, since Yuna brought a great attention to figure skating in Korea, Miki as well as Mao have got some popularity there. They have even some sincere fans in the neighboring country, who also root for Yuna with no doubt.

bekalc

Record Breaker
As far as I know, since Yuna brought a great attention to figure skating in Korea, Miki as well as Mao have got some popularity there. They have even some sincere fans in the neighboring country, who also root for Yuna with no doubt.

I read somewhere once but only once and not substantial that Miki might be part Korean (her Father or something like that)

But yes I hear that all of the skaters love skating in Korea because the fans are apparently amazing...

Oh, and some fan posted Yu-na's long program practice on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TnmByKardw

missysays

On the Ice
Tigger - I think it's meant to be Ginger and Fred in an Irving Berlin number about the Fleet. Can't remember the name of it. It's 30s, not 50s.

Yes, the song is Irving Berlin and from "Follow the Fleet" but their costuming looks a bit more like "On the Town" with Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly- especially Emily's vibrant full skirted costume. For true "Follow the Fleet" 30s style costuming, you only have to look as far as Faiella/Scali with Federica in the cutest 30s style slacks. :biggrin:

ks777

Record Breaker
I read somewhere once but only once and not substantial that Miki might be part Korean (her Father or something like that)

But yes I hear that all of the skaters love skating in Korea because the fans are apparently amazing...

Oh, and some fan posted Yu-na's long program practice on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TnmByKardw

Actually Miki is 100% Japanese. Her name Miki in Japanese writing 美姫 is very common in Korea that people speculated that she might be korean. Miki said in an interview that she was 100 % Japanese and do not have any korean relatives.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Actually Miki is 100% Japanese. Her name Miki in Japanese writing 美姫 is very common in Korea that people speculated that she might be korean. Miki said in an interview that she was 100 % Japanese and do not have any korean relatives.

ks777, doesn't Miki's name mean "beauty princess"? :love: One more reason to root for Miki.

szidon

On the Ice
pathetic

OMG. I was looking at youtube, and someone has already posted a video analyzing yuna's botched Flip. crazy world.

They're just waisting their time. ESPN/ABC commentators such as Paul Wylie and Susie Wynne persistently said that Yuna's 3F was textbook. Dick Button even said "that's jumping" when he watched Yuna's 3F-3T.

Okami

On the Ice
ESPN/ABC commentators such as Paul Wylie and Susie Wynne persistently said that Yuna's 3F was textbook. Dick Button even said "that's jumping" when he watched Yuna's 3F-3T.

I wouldn't trust the commentators much. They also said that Mao's lutz was clean at Worlds, and in many cases (especially the EuropSport commentators) have shown themselves unable to distinguish between lutz/flutz/lip/flip.

Sasha's or Shizuka's jumps were also often praised for being perfect... I think that before the new rules came into force, nobody cared much about the edges as long as the jump was landed cleanly. One commentator that I remember mentioning the wrong edge take-off was Dick Button, and he did it only when the skater in question wasn't his favourite. :)

rosee

On the Ice
I agree with Okami. Philippe Candeloro and Annick Dumont often said that Brian has a great Flip and that it's his best Jump.
We all know Brian does Lip.

szidon

On the Ice
I wouldn't trust the commentators much. They also said that Mao's lutz was clean at Worlds, and in many cases (especially the EuropSport commentators) have shown themselves unable to distinguish between lutz/flutz/lip/flip.

Sasha's or Shizuka's jumps were also often praised for being perfect... I think that before the new rules came into force, nobody cared much about the edges as long as the jump was landed cleanly. One commentator that I remember mentioning the wrong edge take-off was Dick Button, and he did it only when the skater in question wasn't his favourite. :)

I know what you're saying. EuropSport commentators were mistaken at 2008 Worlds since Mao's flip and lutz had been quite similar except the Mohawk turn until last season. I believe she would be different this season from last season.

And I think reason why Sasha's or Shizuka's jumps were praised was that wrong edge takeoff was relatively less considered at that time. I believe Sasha and Shizuka had beautiful jumps in terms of flow.

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
my assessments, which doesn't mean much.
First of all thank God they was practice sessions for Kimmie, Yu-Na, Miki . They all came across as bland, Mirai and Rachels came across choregraphy and interpretation wise a bit better. In others words I felt their music more than they others,

Yu-Na to me , doesn't look ready for this competition;but that could be because once others got on the ice it bother her. But it also bother Kimme, Mike, Rachel and Mirai if another skater got to close. I
Miki skated dull like, I could't wach the whole practice video because I got bored and with no jumps. I don't know what to think
\
Kimmie skated about same last year , still looks like she UR her triple/triple especially the last triple in the combo otherwise decent program. Need to project a bit more though.

Mirai looks like she UR her first 2 ttriples of the program. A bit better in presentation came across more. Could win provided no urs and doesn't skate scratchy.

Rachel to me skated the best in the practice video. Her triple/triple look clean except for her footworks which is slow and scratchy and her combination spin which needs work /practice and the last jump which looked a bit ur she did fine and looks most ready outside kimmie for this competition.

As a stated practice, what they do in competition is another matter.

Love_Skate

Rinkside
what they do in competition is another matter.

I had a chance to watch close-up practice videos in higher quality and at different angles than the videos available at you-tube, and even they are telling very different stories. :laugh: All athletes looked determined and ready to compete in every aspect. I can't wait to see the ladies competition. :love:

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker
fairly, you must have really great eyesight to see underrotations in a video that's filmed so far away and at that angle.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Marai looks really good and very mature in that LP practice video. Very good program. Her jumps seem higher and somehow more secure than last year, but there were a few underroations, which i fear will be her downfall if does them in the actual event.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I just watched Yuna's SP runthrough video from this morning, which was posted on YOUTUBE. It was fantastic. She looked much better than the previous runthrough where I was worried about her stamina. Her jumps look extremely strong and fully rotated.

I really, really love the music and choreography. It was very beautiful and elegant. I especially love the choreo at 00:33; very beautiful, which gives me a chill! I think that this Minor, serious, melancholic music suits her dramatic style better than the last season's light, gay waltz.

She also may have a much more beautiful costume than the previous years although I could not see the details yet. AFA I could see, I really like the overall design. The skirt was longer than usual. I've always thought that her skits were too short for this skinny girl. So I am very happy to see her skirt having this length, which gives a more mature, elegant look to her!
I also liked the large cut on her back, which also gives her a mature, elegant look. Actually the overall design looks a bit similar to Miki's 2007 Worlds costume with the same cut at the back, long sleeves, and the covered neck. Although that one emphasized the chest a bit too much IMO, I like the front design of this one very much.
I also think that the constrast between the dark color and the shiny decorations suit this heavy music very well. I really like her in this costume. I feel that Yukina Ota may look very nice in this costume as well.
I cannot wait to see the closeup to find out if I still like the design and color of this costume.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Both of YU-na's programs are great for her... athough I felt that the LP was way too much like Michelle's. the same cuts of music, the same ending pose, the same dramatic building music during the spirals.... The jumps she went for she landed beautifully. No cheating there.

The one thing that honestly bothered me was seeing her land the 3 loop. I thought Mr. Orser said he wasn't going to put it in the program anymore. She really does not need it and I think using it is playing with fire the way her hip has been.

turtle

On the Ice
The one thing that honestly bothered me was seeing her land the 3 loop. I thought Mr. Orser said he wasn't going to put it in the program anymore. She really does not need it and I think using it is playing with fire the way her hip has been.

I think she needs the loop to be able to compete against Mao and Miki who are doing more difficult jumps and have a higher base value.