Before and After | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Before and After

Registered,
The implants are filled with saline (water and salt), not silicone. Silicone breast implants were outlawed in the US many years ago.

True, you have the right to judge, though I'm disappointed that someone would do the obvious with Nicole's last name. Anyway, the way I see it, Nicole did nothing different than millions of woman do every year. If it makes her feel better about her body, good for her. If a skater were a little heavy (for a skater) and dieted to lose 15 pounds, everyone would applaude and give her props. Yet dieting can be dangerous, especially when someone is at a perfectly normal weight and goes on a near-starvation diet (and I'm not saying they necesarily do it that way) to be thin enough to look like what people want to see in a skating costume on TV. I know, surgery is different, but IMO the point is the same: Trying to change one's body so that it's closer to cultural ideals.

I wish Nicole liked her body the way it was, but if breast implants make her happier, it's fine by me. Besides, breast implants aren't just for attention from audiences. Nicole does have a private life, too. Like I said, if Nicole enjoys them, I'm happy for her.
Rgirl

registered

On the Ice
If Nicole likes her new look -- great, I'm happy FOR HER.

I do, however, think that she looked better in the "before" picture. Sorry if it offends anyone.

registered said:
If Nicole likes her new look -- great, I'm happy FOR HER.
I do, however, think that she looked better in the "before" picture. Sorry if it offends anyone.
Registered,
I don't think anyone is the least bit offended that you think Nicole looks better "before." In fact, so do I. I don't like the look of implants, but that's me. IMO, the tone of your other post just sounded a bit negative and perhaps a little overly judgmental. But I know you're not like that:)

Like I said, I feel the same about preferring Nicole natural. But if Nicole's happy with her new chest, good for her.
Rgirl

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I don't think it really matters. Nicole has always been partly known for her shock value...so, its not really that shocking. Now, if Michelle gets implants I'll be dumbfounded. They are Nicole's boobs after all, so, whatever can give her the confidence to perform well on and off the ice is all that matters.

windspirit

On the Ice
Rgirl said:
Anyway, the way I see it, Nicole did nothing different than millions of woman do every year. If it makes her feel better about her body, good for her. If a skater were a little heavy (for a skater) and dieted to lose 15 pounds, everyone would applaude and give her props.
Well, it's not necessarily true. I remember quite a few discussion about skaters who seemed to have lost weight, or were too skinny from the beginning. Most people didn't think it was particularly healthy.

I know, surgery is different, but IMO the point is the same: Trying to change one's body so that it's closer to cultural ideals.
This is what I'm afraid of. That someday we'll have one "beauty ideal", and if the pressure is big enough, we'll all end up looking the same. And beauty, for me at least, has more to do with originality and variety (and mind :) ). Perfection is final and boring.

Cosmetic surgery is fine by me, but I do wonder about the children of parents who have had major "work done." Do they go to their parents one day and say, "Mom, why didn't I get what you got?"
Oh, but they do. The parents try to rationalize it: "I know how unhappy I was, I don't want that for my kids", etc. I can understand some of those surgeries, when some part of their body really sticks out (no pun intended), etc., but when I see a really nice-looking and slim girl getting breast implants and liposuction for her 18th birthday, then I'm shaking my head. This is no longer about looking nice, it's about being "perfect". Changing one's attitude about the whole thing would be cheaper and much safer. And more positive overall.

I agree that some of the jumps (if not all) present a great risk to skaters' health, and I think it's about time something is done about the matter. I do remember reading about how different boots would lessen the risk, but I don't remember the details. If that's true, I'm very surprised that nothing has been done about it yet.

As for comparing the dangers of being an athlete and plastic surgery (unnecessary, that is) -- IMO these are two different things.

Anyway, if Nicole's happy with her choice, that's great. I just don't understand it, that's all. I don't think she needed any enhancements; she's a very attractive girl.

paintbrushhh

Rinkside
I don't know if this is a possibility but here's a possible theory:

SUPPOSE a female athlete suffered from supressed female hormone levels due to poor diet & over-exercise or that female athlete triad thing disorder.

SUPPOSE normal diet & a less vigourous exercise schedule were adopted. Hormone levels would increase to normal levels, wouldn't they? Would normal female hormone production cause breast growth at a normally post-pubertal age? Like late (OK, really late) puberty? Can that happen?

I know Whoever Rigby (Cathy??), the gymnast, once said she didn't start to menstruate until she was 23, after she stopped training. But I never noticed her before & after boobs.

As an aside, the suppression of normal body maturity would be a bonus to skaters who prefer jumping beanability. What a sad excuse to fight Mother Nature but I would not be one bit surprised if it happens.

Paint...

isk82

On the Ice
Before and After

It's nice of you wanting to give Nicole the "benefit of the doubt", but there is a difference in the appearance of "real" ones vs "fake" ones. These are definitely fake!! But if it makes her happy, who cares!??

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder if they came wrapped with a pretty bow???

Dee

giseledepkat

Rinkside
Spirit said:
Shouldn't that be "two bumps?"

(Sorry, couldn't resist. :) )

....... . . . ( . )( . ) . . . ........

Better?

(Sorry -- just couldn't resist playing with the vBcodes! :) )

Last edited:

skatepixie

On the Ice
Re: she got a boob job

Kwanisqueen81 said:
oh my god!! Ms. Bobeck got a boob job and they look mighty perky if I do say so myself:D

If she was still elgibile I'd bet the judges wouldn't care if she couldn't land triple jumps...they'd be too busy staring at her chest!! I wonder what her new cup size is...let's all take a guess at it I say she is about a double C cup

No such thing as a CC. It goes A then B and then C then D then DD then E then F and FF and FFF....

skatepixie

On the Ice
also...silicone is safe and they are thinking of bringing it back. The studies that said it was bad were deffinatly bad science....

Dragonlady

Final Flight
paintbrushhh said:
As an aside, the suppression of normal body maturity would be a bonus to skaters who prefer jumping beanability. What a sad excuse to fight Mother Nature but I would not be one bit surprised if it happens.

Paint...

Of course it's been done, but there are many long-term problems and some short-term problems as well, which are associated with the suppression of puberty.

Puberty is the time of the greatest growth spurt the female body undergoes in the girl's life. It's not unusual for a girl to shoot up 4 to 6 inches in the space of a year. At that time, and before the growth plates close, the young girl's body must increase bone mass to go along with this growth. This cannot be postponed, even if puberty can be delayed. Failure to accumulate bone mass pre-puberty results in stress fracture injuries (in the short term) and a substantially increased risk of osteo-arthritis and osteo-perrosis (sp?) in the long term.

As the old expression goes, "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature".

skatepixie said:
also...silicone is safe and they are thinking of bringing it back. The studies that said it was bad were deffinatly bad science....
The jury on the safety on silicone implants is not in. Though the studies showing that silicone was bad for everyone have been shown to be inaccurate, neither has it been established that silicone implants are safe for everyone. The issue is whether silicone is dangerous to some people given their genetic make-up and individual immune systems. Silicone implants may be no problem for one woman but may cause severe health problems for another. This is often a problem in public health. For example, small percentage of children die every year from vaccines, but it is felt that the good they do for the majority outweighs those individual deaths. With breast implants, I hope they stick to saline because until there is a way of knowing in advance if silicone is safe for you or not.
Rgirl