Which men will go to Worlds? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Which men will go to Worlds?

Medusa

Record Breaker
It must be crushing for Johnny but he's come back from worse than this. It's so close to the Olympics he's not going to throw the towel in now. What he has for the first time in years is the opportunity to have an actual holiday from skating (go the beach, go and do some catwalk shows, anything!), get over his illnesses, get back to his training earlier than ever, come up with possible program choices for the Olympic year, be prepared enough in advance that he can call on the choreographers early, with a clearer schedule than normal to book in times with them. I think this could be just what Johnny needs.
He could also try to come up with interesting and artistic programs. The ones last season were borderline generic, only his fluent style and impeccable line made them halfway pleasant to watch. But the programs this year just seem lackluster. He said so himself, that he doesn't have the feeling, that he doesn't think that what he brings to the ice is beautiful or impressive. In that pressconference before Nationals he sounded down, uninspired, kept complaining on and on about the new judging system - he also sounded as if skating is an unpleasant job to him.

I would love him to take some time off, visit museums, go to the theatre, to the ballet - travel a bit (probably backpacking - his financial situation won't improve because of this), design some clothes...

I think every figure skater is a bit of an artist and a bit of an athlete. Johnny is way more artist than athlete (in contrast to, let's say, Joubert). Johnny's artist seems to be utterly tired, and that throughout the entire season (just go back and reread the posts about his performances this season so far - nearly everyone thought that he looked uninspired, slow and tired). So perhaps he needs some time to reclaim that magical spark that was once his.

The sad thing about that (Medusa) is that I actually felt his FP at Nats, in between errors, was finally getting that Johnny magic. I'm bummed that we won't get to see the final version at Worlds.

Well, it's a defeat. What can you do but move on? I wish Johnny lots of refreshment, rest and new inspiration.

amateur

Final Flight
Isn't LA practically Evan's hometown, (or nearby?) (I might be wrong, and I'm Canadian anyway so don't pay much attention...) Not that this is the most important factor, but, gee, it would be quite an insult to deny him the chance to compete in his hometown, after having finished 3rd at Nationals.

Eevun

Final Flight
Isn't LA practically Evan's hometown, (or nearby?) (I might be wrong, and I'm Canadian anyway so don't pay much attention...) Not that this is the most important factor, but, gee, it would be quite an insult to deny him the chance to compete in his hometown, after having finished 3rd at Nationals.
But Evan is going to Worlds...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
He's very attached to SoCal these days it seems... and Tanith has said she plans to move out there after she and Ben are done competing (which I guess means we won't see them skating together much longer???)

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Well since others have mentioned it in other threads - USFSA didn't give Bobek a bye to worlds 1996 but let Tara go - a comparatively unknown young skater with some big tricks up her sleeve who had never skated at worlds before.

Ant

Bobek wasn't given a bye because she spent quite abit of her fall season doing shows, which made the USFSA people rather miffed, since they want their skaters to be well prepared for nationals. Johnny, on the other hand competed at all his Grand Prix assignments and did pretty well. No reason for them not to give him a bye in my opinion. He must be kicking himself for coming to nationals now.

samba

On the Ice
I guess USFS had tried every effort to send the elite US skaters to Worlds by inflating their PCS scores at Nats. However, if they did not land too many jumps, the scores would not add up enough to beat the better skaters who did perfect programs that night. It would not be fair for Brandon or Jeremy since they performed better under pressure. Johnny has more experience than the other two but it did not work that way at Nats. Why would we wait after Nats. to announce the Worlds teams if we think Johnny should go anyway??;)

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
But Evan is going to Worlds...

Yes but if Johnny were sent, as many people seem to be suggesting, someone has to stay at home. I think there are a fair mix of people thinking Evan shoudl stay at home and those that think Mroz should stay at home.

Ant

jennylovskt

Medalist
Well, the fact is that Johnny is not going to the Worlds this year unless someone from the top three withdraw. Wait to see the Worlds result. If any of them doesn't deliver the expected result, or US loses the three spots for the next year ... imagine :laugh: That's a huge pressure.:biggrin::bow:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think there are a fair mix of people thinking Evan shoudl stay at home and those that think Mroz should stay at home.

Ant

both men did their job at US Nationals... and Evan has a pretty decent track record... but he's not the board's sentimental favorite ;)

Eevun

Final Flight
but he's not the board's sentimental favorite ;)

Evan is the perfect son-in-law. Cute, kind and calm. He just is there. But it's always stormy around Johnny, in one way or the other. That's why he's so interesting. He breaks the pattern.

NatachaHatawa

Final Flight
I agree with Medusa about Johnny. He's capable of bringing lots of magic (although since he's tried making his skating more masculin he's losing it), but he really needs to try and do something a little different. I really love Johnny's skating, but I keep on having the impression of seeing the same program every year. He should try working with different people and try to bring some originality to his programs.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Johnny's only worked with his current choreography team for a couple of years...

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
If the everybody thinks that this is the end of it that these three are going to worlds....I think that they are wrong.

I think within the coming weeks there is going to be a shake up- wheather it is at 4CC or sooner, I think the USFSA, must be in some form of communication with Johnny and his coaches, checking up on him and come closer to the world championships I think that only then we will see the REAL world team.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, the fact is that Johnny is not going to the Worlds this year unless someone from the top three withdraw. Wait to see the Worlds result. If any of them doesn't deliver the expected result, or US loses the three spots for the next year ... imagine :laugh: That's a huge pressure.:biggrin::bow:

Just for the record, I would have loved to see the World team be named as Abbott, Mroz, and Weir, if Johnny had skated better than he did. Since he didn't, I can accept Lysacek's place on the team because he did prove himself to be in better physical condition and he has proven himself as the better competitor, which I can admit even though I don't care for his style at all. I like Johnny's style better between the two of them.

With that said, it's not guaranteed that if Johnny was selected as a World team member that the USA would be able to total up to 13 either. So called "sure bet skaters" are capable of having a meltdown just as it is possible that a more "unknown skater" can have the performance of his/her life. As a skating fan, I've seen some very surprising, unpredictable moments happen on that slippery ice under the intense pressure of the moment. A skater can be having perfect training up until competition and then come down with a stomach virus or food poisoning or the flu or suddenly have a death in the family or deal with their coach dying during the week of the competition or have a freak injury during practice on the competition ice or some other bizarre circumstances, and see all their hard work and chances for making the podium go down the drain. A skater or a couple is alone on the ice and if the skater/couple is not at their best at just the right moment, another skater/couple can't be substituted in their place, like in team sports. It's a ruthless sport like that sometimes, unfortunately. My point is anything can happen and I've learned to never assume. I just hope for all of the skaters to do well and to be healthy and happy about what they do.

Last edited:

Michelle'sFan

Rinkside
Just for the record, I would have loved to see the World team be named as Abbott, Mroz, and Weir, if Johnny had skated better than he did. Since he didn't, I can accept Lysacek's place on the team because he did prove himself to be in better physical condition and he has proven himself as the better competitor, which I can admit even though I don't care for his style at all. I like Johnny's style better between the two of them.

With that said, it's not guaranteed that if Johnny was selected as a World team member that the USA would be able to total up to 13 either. So called "sure bet skaters" are capable of having a meltdown just as it is possible that a more "unknown skater" can have the performance of his/her life. As a skating fan, I've seen some very surprising, unpredictable moments happen on that slippery ice under the intense pressure of the moment. A skater can be having perfect training up until competition and then come down with a stomach virus or food poisoning or the flu or suddenly have a death in the family or deal with their coach dying during the week of the competition or have a freak injury during practice on the competition ice or some other bizarre circumstances, and see all their hard work and chances for making the podium go down the drain. A skater or a couple is alone on the ice and if the skater/couple is not at their best at just the right moment, another skater/couple can't be substituted in their place, like in team sports. It's a ruthless sport like that sometimes, unfortunately. My point is anything can happen and I've learned to never assume. I just hope for all of the skaters to do well and to be healthy and happy about what they do.

That was very well said! :clap: Good job museksk8r! :agree:

Michelle'sFan