Montreal Worlds: Ticket questions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Montreal Worlds: Ticket questions

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Yes, if they delay the sales of single-event or single-day tickets.

Have you thought of buying tickets from a private seller? I don't think I would because of the risk of fraud, but it is a possibility.
I don't want to buy privately. I am an adult and can afford the day tickets, but for the same reason--I am an adult with a busy life and the world is going crazier and crazier--i would prefer the ability not to have to make these decisions a year in advance and do so comfortably. We no longer live in the world where we plan that far ahead, tbh. Whom does it hurt if all events went on sale 6 month before competition after the summer break?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Though for some reason they say it takes place at Verdun Auditorium, not Bell Center, so confusing as heck.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Though for some reason they say it takes place at Verdun Auditorium, not Bell Center, so confusing as heck.
It's because there are practices in both venues... the official practices at Bell Center (they are going for about 35 dollars if i saw properly) and the ones at Verdun for 10 dollars.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
It's because there are practices in both venues... the official practices at Bell Center (they are going for about 35 dollars if i saw properly) and the ones at Verdun for 10 dollars.
Oh, okay. I assume the ones in the schedule are in Bell, because I am counting on that pair practice to keep me awake.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
do they typically not sell single event tickets for worlds, and only by the day or all events?
I went to Boston Worlds in 2016 and they certainly sold single day tickets as well as sold the whole arena. What has happened in the intervening years I am not sure.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I don't want to buy privately. I am an adult and can afford the day tickets, but for the same reason--I am an adult with a busy life and the world is going crazier and crazier--i would prefer the ability not to have to make these decisions a year in advance and do so comfortably. We no longer live in the world where we plan that far ahead, tbh. Whom does it hurt if all events went on sale 6 month before competition after the summer break?
I agree with this feeling very much. I wish that the sales had started later so we could have been more comfortable buying. I took my chances because I knew it would be crazy expensive if waiting... but yeah... I am with you... 6 months should be enough.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't see anyone, let alone casual fan, enjoying the view from so far away tbh. TV is much better and free. The point of going live is to sit close.
I have never been able to afford to sit close. I sit far away and often watch the monitors. The point is being there. There are all sorts of things that happen in the arena that aren't shown on TV, and it's very difficult to throw stuffies from home. By the way the suites are VERY far away. At least in the other venues I've been to.

Victura

On the Ice
Most larger skating events do sell single session tickets. Grand Prix events sometimes have two events in one session or occasionally day tickets (the GP in France used to have one ticket for the full day of short programs), but there are fewer competitors in each event.

Montreal this year is unusual - I don’t even remember this being the case in 2020, but could be wrong. Not sure why they chose to go this route. As someone who wasn’t planning to see everything, I would’ve liked the option for single event tickets as well, and agree it’s not very friendly for casual fans. (Even as a not so casual fan, I find it hard to sit through that many skaters for many hours on end.)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Most larger skating events do sell single session tickets. Grand Prix events sometimes have two events in one session or occasionally day tickets (the GP in France used to have one ticket for the full day of short programs), but there are fewer competitors in each event.

Montreal this year is unusual - I don’t even remember this being the case in 2020, but could be wrong. Not sure why they chose to go this route. As someone who wasn’t planning to see everything, I would’ve liked the option for single event tickets as well, and agree it’s not very friendly for casual fans. (Even as a not so casual fan, I find it hard to sit through that many skaters for many hours on end.)
i remember buying full days in 2020 as well.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well, the simple answer is that it seems they make more money this way. They can sell a 200 something dollar ticket, instead of a hundred something dollar ticket, if you just wanna buy to one event.
The operative word being 'seems' because if people can't afford $200, or are unwilling to pay that but would $100, that's a straightup loss. Part of it may also be to make sure as much of the audience is in the lower ranks so that they look fuller for the camera (JWC right now has lovely skating, but the lack of audience - and yes I know it is because Taipei is not a big skating country! - is very obvious on the videos.) Worlds is the premier event, TPTB do not want its image to be sparse crowds and empty seats. But if they overprice, they get that anyway.... or give seats away at the last minute.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Agree that 6 months or so is about right. Then do individual tickets a month or so later.

For 4CC in Colorado Springs, no tickets at all were available until mid-December for a February event. That was really bad, especially as they didn't even announce when tickets would be available until Dec. People were going nuts over it.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I sat through 40 something skaters to see Gracie! I also know there were single session tickets for 2016 worlds because I stupidly bought them individually in order of what I didn't want to miss, starting with the Women's long. It costs a lot more that way, but the option should be there for people who only want to watch certain events.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Agree that 6 months or so is about right. Then do individual tickets a month or so later.

For 4CC in Colorado Springs, no tickets at all were available until mid-December for a February event. That was really bad, especially as they didn't even announce when tickets would be available until Dec. People were going nuts over it.
I think there the problem was more of a not knowing than not enough time to buy. But realistically, you want ticket when you book flights/hotel and 3-6 month window is a sweet spot there imo. 6 to 3 to get all event, then go to day tickets... I would be happy with that.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

They had a tiny crowd too..

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When we buy tickets for a skating competition, we don't mind sitting a few rows (or more) back. We figure that we can sit up close during the practice sessions (if they are held in the same venue). That's what we did for US Nationals & our plans for Montreal & next year's Worlds in Boston.

During the summer months we try to take advantage of attending our closest summer competition - in our case, the Philadelphia International Summer Competition @ Ice Works in Aston, PA (45 minutes away for us). It used to be free (we started attending it in 2009). In the last few years it has had a nominal fee, but we get to see National US competitors and some international ones (including some Canadians) try out their new programs.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don’t think that is really accurate. The World Arena was not packed for that event, but there was certainly a much bigger crowd there than at this year’s Canadian Nationals, or at the recent Junior World Championships, for example.
Ummm, to be fair to @moonvine that is not saying a whole lot, or rather is saying a whole lot of nothing. The best crowd this year, from what I have gathered, was at Euros. Which if true 🤔 is a nice change (well, nice for them.)

Four Continents seldom attracts really large crowds, for whatever reason.
4CC, even more than the other competitions, depends on where it is (and yes, I am still all dirty salt over that, why do you ask?) and exactly who is going to be there to make it worth the trip. Especially now, in a cost of living crisis all over the world and the mental aftermath of, as someone mentioned above, covid.