Elene Gedevanishvili | Golden Skate

Elene Gedevanishvili

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
What has happened to Elene G.? I know she made some coaching changes, and I'm thinking there were residency issues or something for her, but what has happened skating-wise? Did she just max out her talent, or have external factors gotten in the way of her training, or what? I got to thinking about her when she was mentioned in the Tarasova interview. I remember Scott Hamilton was so taken with her when she first hit the senior scene, and she did seem to used to really like skating.

TIA for any insights or comments.

Kati

On the Ice
I have seen Elene live twice this season /Finlandia Trophy, Europeans) and it seems that she still has the skills in practice, but has lost her confidence. She was so talented some years ago, but after that, two things has happened. First, she matured and got woman's body, and begun to loose her jumps. Then, she had to leave Moscow where she was training and living with her mother, and she moved to US. The two big changes combined seem to be too much for her, and it's a great pity, because she seems to be such a sweet girl and a talented skater. In Europeans, she didn't even make to the free program, and it was very dissapointing. I really hope she will come back strong, but it has been quite unsure for some time already... :frown:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks so much, Kati, that's just the kind of information I was looking for. Sad to hear, though, because she was so bubbly and enthusiastic. I didn't think about the puberty monster, I guess because she already looked pretty mature in her presentation when I first saw her in the '06 season, but I know that can completely derail a female skater. That plus the moves and coaching changes (although I think she wanted to leave Galina, didn't she??? or maybe not) are very disruptive.

Eurofan

On the Ice
I recently read that Elene left Zmievskaya because they had a "personality clash" and she is now training with Roman Serov. (Didn't he marry Tatiana Malinina?) So between her mother's deportation from Russia, the months of trying to practice in that public rink in Tblisi, the growth spurt, the coaching problems, it's been a very rough three years for Elene. Here's a video of her in Tblisi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIHL4Go5xxM&feature=PlayList&p=70227931A16744D9&playnext=1&index=23

It's no wonder her skating suffered that season. Her practice area looks quite small. I hope she can get her jumps/confidence back. I think she's very talented.

Kati

On the Ice
I recently read that Elene left Zmievskaya because they had a "personality clash" and she is now training with Roman Serov. (Didn't he marry Tatiana Malinina?) .

Roman Serov married Israeli (US born/raised?) skater Rachael Lior in 2001 or 2002. Rachael was quite young by the time IIRC.

I liked Elene Gedevanishvili's programs very much in Finlandia Trophy and Europeans. What a great pity that she messed up all her jumps in the SP at Europeans in Helsinki! I still have the faith that she could come back if she finds her confidence again...

And, by the way, Tatiana Malinina is married to figure skater Roman Skorniakov...

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Elene did very well skating with Vodorezova. We'll never know what would have happened if she were allowed to continue training with her (http://ptichkafs.livejournal.com/4558.html). Also, I think that perhaps Elene and her parents should have followed Vodorezova's plan - after Elene had to leave Russia, she arranged for her friend Anna Kondrashova in Estonia to coach her. Since by then Elene became sort of a Georgian hero, she and her parents with the blessing of the federation chose Zmievskaya instead. I feel that was likely a mistake as well.

Mafke

Medalist
AFAIK She was basically a casualty of political games.

IIRC the gossip at the time was that the Russian federation wanted her for themselves, that is they wanted her to represent the Russian federation (since she was training with a Russian coach in Russia) and only when she declined did her mother have the visa problems.

I think moving the the US was a major, major blunder as she simply didn't have the support structures needed (dealing with new language and culture). I agree that had she gone to Estonia (culturally more familiar) with a coach on good terms with her former coach things might have worked out differently.

I would like to see her make a comeback, but I'm afraid that finding the right kind of training situation is all but impossible now. I'm hoping she can prove me wrong.

Eurofan

On the Ice
Roman Serov married Israeli (US born/raised?) skater Rachael Lior in 2001 or 2002. Rachael was quite young by the time IIRC.

I liked Elene Gedevanishvili's programs very much in Finlandia Trophy and Europeans. What a great pity that she messed up all her jumps in the SP at Europeans in Helsinki! I still have the faith that she could come back if she finds her confidence again...

And, by the way, Tatiana Malinina is married to figure skater Roman Skorniakov...

Kiitos. I was getting my Romans mixed up.