Excellence in Coaching | Golden Skate

Excellence in Coaching

I thought this might be a good time to salute the achievement of Tom Zakrajsek (whose name I would not have known how to type until just now). When has one coach's work paid off so much at Nationals? Jeremy - Gold. Brandon - Silver. Ryan - Pewter. Rachael - Silver.

NY Times said:
In a conversation with Brian Boitano, the 1988 Olympic gold medalist, the usually composed Zakrajsek became a bit unfurled. He said Boitano had told him that he could end up as coach of all the skaters on the world team.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/26/s...igure.html?partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

What's going on out there in Colorado? Any comments on how Zakrajsek (gotta keep practicing that name... keep trying - soon it'll roll off your fingers) is doing it, and in general any analysis or anecdotes about what makes for great coaching would be very interesting while we're waiting for Worlds!

Here's an interview with Zakrajsek (2 pages) from last year: http://figureskating.about.com/od/topskatingcoaches/a/tomz.htm
Thanks Sylvia. I subscribe to Jo Ann Schneider's blog and forum but I must have missed this with an inadvertent delete click.

It's a nice simple interview but it is the correct one for giving us the background of Zakrajsek.

I think he stands alongs side of Callaghan, Carroll, Wagner, and internationally, also.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
It's a nice simple interview but it is the correct one for giving us the background of Zakrajsek.
You're welcome. I liked the detailed background information as well.

BTW, the correction printed at the bottom of this article was sent in by yours truly. ;)

Really? I don't think these three boys are so cold with the fans :scratch:
They're not. The author very likely saw all 3 of them in a state of exhaustion after they had spent quite a lot of time signing autographs for fans clamoring/standing at the boards immediately following the medal ceremony.

Last edited:

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
I've just read in an article on likeskate.com that Zakrajsek (a.k.a. Tom Z for Kurt Browning :)) often sends his skaters to do all their jumps while the others (I'm talking about the three male stars) keep score of how many jumps are landing successfully. It's an impressive method, isn't it? Now I understand why his pupils are so confident on ice.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Really? I don't think these three boys are so cold with the fans :scratch:

I can only speak about Ryan, but he is very giving to his fans at nationals. I think Sylvia's on the mark... I can't imagine he was anything but tired... Ryan's a hoot to talk to.

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
I can only speak about Ryan, but he is very giving to his fans at nationals. I think Sylvia's on the mark... I can't imagine he was anything but tired... Ryan's a hoot to talk to.

oh yes..would you believe I dance and sing while he's skating? :)

Tammi

On the Ice
I saw Jeremy at one of the restaurants near the rink and even though he was there with what appeared to be his family, he took time to pose for photos and give out autographs.

Knowing that they had very little time to prepare for the exhibition following their free skate, press obligations and drug testing, I imagine that unfortunately, they couldn't enjoy the moment as much as they'd have liked to. That stress probably showed alittle on their faces and may have been misinterpreted by the person writing the article.

centerpt1

On the Ice
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29304303/site/21683474

A bit about Tom Z in here.

Zakrajsek makes it work, partly because he's brought a team concept to a primarily individual sport. His stable of skaters are bonded by "Kung Fu Panda,'' a movie with a message they've adopted - united they conquer.

Zakrajsek frequently shows clips from the animated comedy, even dividing his top skaters into members of the heroic "Furious Five,'' Abbott represents the Crane, Mroz the Mantis and Ryan Bradley the Monkey. Alexe Gilles lobbied, and won, the right to portray Tigress while Flatt is Viper.

They each have younger skaters in their group, and the teams earn points and prizes by doing well in practices and competitions.

(Ryan Bradley is a class act.)

Last edited:

Nigel

On the Ice
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29304303/site/21683474

A bit about Tom Z in here.

(Ryan Bradley is a class act.)

Not a very well rounded report. The Broadmoor excels in many areas...pairs, singles and dance. The article did a nice job with the pairs program and showcasing the Sr teams of Y/C and M/B and DS, the singles was pretty much all about TZ and his guys (Flatt and Gilles barely got mentioned... and Flatt has been TZ's most consistent skater with medaling as a skater Nov, Jr, (5th first season as a Sr at age 14, silver in 08, World Jr Champ in 08, and silver in 09). The dance program has a large group of teams that were at US Nationals this season with Patty Gottwein and Tiffany Hyden. IIRC, BSC sent something like 40 skaters to 2009 Nationals in all three disciplines. I don't think any other club can boast that. In 2005, if IIRC, the BSC brought a number of national championships back to Colorado after Portland. Perhaps the author needed to do a little more homework IMHO and should have presented a well rounded article.

Nobody is writing about the topic: Excellence in Coaching in general.

I find that there are stages of coaching which one might consider. Johnny Weir for example, started out in group lessons, then moved on to private lessons, then moved on to a what I call a Master Coach (choreographer as well as a techncal know-how.)

While I can understand the Master Coach bringing skaters to be real contenders in a competition, I think the earlier stages of coaching can not be overlooked. In Johnny's case, Priscilla Hill. She and others know the power of the basics. In fact Ms Hill showed quite a number of competitors at this past Nationals who are quite promising, but not yet ready for the Master Coach. I think she underestimated herself, and could have followed through with Weir on the international stage.

Zakrajsek does show abilities to be Master Coach in Technique and Style of the skaters' he trains.

The boys in Boston are also working towards being Master Coaches, but still have a way to go.

The proof of the pudding is not in the medals, but in the performance of the skaters' under fire. The coaches, however, have no cause to be blamed for faults that a skater may do in actual competition. If the practice was good, so was the coach.