What are your favorite and hated moves in figure skating? | Golden Skate

What are your favorite and hated moves in figure skating?

BlackAxel

Final Flight
I think as figure skating fans, there are certain moves that are our “cup of tea” and some that are just not...

My Favorite:

Besti squat – While I love this move when it is performed by men rather than ladies. IMO, it doesn’t look attractive or the least bit feminine when ladies do it. My favorite variation is the "eagle-lift" that V/M perform where he does the besti squat and she balances on his thigh with one leg.

Spread eagles – This would have to be my favorite move in skating!! While it may seem simple, I think its usage in a performance can really be considered as a highlight. My favorite spread eagles are from Boitano in his Olympic long program and Takahiko Kozuka (he has the best edges, speed and fluidity!!!)

Hate:

At the top of my list, one of the more annoying and overused moves would have to be the Beillmann position. It was not performed in the past as much as it is now , but it seems to have been jolted and revived when Irina Slutskaya took the scene in 2004. Quite frankly, when most of the females perform this move, it just looks so ugly and painful. I remember that Shizuka said in an interview of how she hated the move and that it was great pain to her back to perform it. With the current field today with ladies, it’s as if they are forced to perform this move so that they can get more points and more levels. However, out of all the females who perform the Beillmann spin, I think Mirai, Caroline, and Mao have the best position since it looks more natural and not as it is extremely painful-looking for them.

What are your favorite and hated moves in figure skating?

DesertRoad

Final Flight
Favorite move: The Death Spiral... before the COP

Such a lyrical and beautiful move. Like living calligraphy on ice.

Hated move: The Death Spiral... after the COP :mad:

Now reduced to hideous contortions and awkward entrances. I also hate it when the man switches arms, because it puts him in a strained and ugly posture.

The worst offenders are Smirnov and Kavaguti. They do their death spiral in this atrocious position.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Favorite move: The Death Spiral... before the COP

Such a lyrical and beautiful move. Like living calligraphy on ice.

Hated move: The Death Spiral... after the COP :mad:

Now reduced to hideous contortions and awkward entrances. I also hate it when the man switches arms, because it puts him in a strained and ugly posture.

The worst offenders are Smirnov and Kavaguti. They do their death spiral in this atrocious position.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Your clever answer inspired this one.

Favorite move: Ladies spiral before CoP

Most boring, awkward, repetitive move : Ladies spirals after CoP

http://www.flickr.com/photos/grandmacyd/2297365782/

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Yes, most spirals, bellimans and death spirals are just tedious to watch now. Same goes for pair spins which are mind-numbingly slow most of the time.

Favorite moves would have to be a high, well landed throw, a spread eagle, Ina bauers, and double axels where you can see "the jump in that jump."

chadvader

Spectator
Probably one of my favorite moves to watch is a delayed axel or :love: delayed double axel.

Least favorite move is absolutely those darn beilmanns. Everyone wants to stick them in everywhere and more often than not they are ugly!

Nadine

Record Breaker
One of my favorite moves was this layback with arm variation that Sarah Hughes did in her Olympic FS (she looked exactly as Mr. McKay described her ~ a fairy/tinkerbell): http://img8.photobucket.com/albums/v26/sk8inglady/olyhugheswp.jpg

And this one where she appears to be a magical sprite on a magical night: http://www.blogcdn.com/www.tvsquad.com/media/2006/02/sh191.jpg

Another one I'm trying to find is one of Sarah or Emily wherein their gorgeous hyperextended knees are shown to perfection -- particularly in their change of edge camel &/or their Biellmann Catchfoot Spiral. These kind of knees are seen on ballerinas, which are opposite knockknees, of which my mother & late brother had (but not me) *pout*.

GREAT TOPIC!:thumbsup:

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Some all-time most hated moves:

Front or side extension holding toe of the boot or front part of blade particularly in a spin for women, when centrifugal force wants to pull the leg away from the body. Makes me want to weep that some my favourite skaters use this : Yuna, Mirai , among others . ..( But Shawn Sawyer can keep it )

Emmanuel Sandhu's signature spin.Loved so much about him..but not this.

Besti-squat with backbend used as a highlight or in death spiral : the otherwise great M/D and imitators.

But don't blame CoP ..all of these were originated and rewarded under 6.0

Underused favourite moves :

Delayed axels (agreed)

The Robin Cousins slide spiral thing:biggrin:( does it have a common name?)

Multi-jump series

All of these show signs of making a bit of a come-back because of CoP..there's good and bad in everything...:)

I don't really have favorite moves, although I think the cantilever is a pretty cool trick. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T746wFOKplA

I like anything spectacular, i.e. Hamill's layback, Ito/Harding's 3Axels, Harding's Lutz, Kwan's Footwork post 02, all of Wylie and Cohen's Moves in the Field.

Moves I hate - Most spins and footwork sequences since 2006. Arakawa, as far as I can remember, was the first to do the epic borderline-never-ending straightline footwork sequence in her Fantasy Impromptu long. I loved its complexity and found it unique at the time. Now, I groan everytime a skater begins his/her sequences, I'm so sick of them.

schiele

Final Flight
Favourite moves:

- A great spiral
- A huge double axel or nice delayed or tuck axel
- The headbanger (bounce spin)
- The Detroiter (adagio move)
- A solid triple toe-loop
- A gorgeous plain old camel spin or flying camel spin with an edge change
- The backflip!

Least favourite moves:

- CoP cookie cutter footwork sequences
- CoP cookie cutter spins with "difficult variations"
- CoP "transitions"
- CoP "interpretation of the music"

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Totally agree with this one (apart from the triple toe, make that a solid quad toe)...

Layfan

Record Breaker
I don't really have favorite moves, although I think the cantilever is a pretty cool trick. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T746wFOKplA

I like anything spectacular, i.e. Hamill's layback, Ito/Harding's 3Axels, Harding's Lutz, Kwan's Footwork post 02, all of Wylie and Cohen's Moves in the Field.

Moves I hate - Most spins and footwork sequences since 2006. Arakawa, as far as I can remember, was the first to do the epic borderline-never-ending straightline footwork sequence in her Fantasy Impromptu long. I loved its complexity and found it unique at the time. Now, I groan everytime a skater begins his/her sequences, I'm so sick of them.

I guess I agree, it's not so much the moves as when a skater performs them so well.
I loved Michelle's falling leaf split, her footwork sequences both pre and post 02 and her spiral.
I love Sasha's layback. More than others who can get their back way lower. Her back and foot position always looked perfect to me. Mirai's layback spin is faster and exciting but Sasha's looked classic. I also love Sasha's I-spin and I pretty much dislike every one else's. I almost wish she hadn't made it so popular :frown2:

I loved Irina's 3 turns into her triple (loop?).

This year, I love Mirai's spread eagle into a double axle and Jeremy's entry into his triple axel and his landing out of it in his SP. Sasha's split leap into her spiral was awesome but I guess that's the last we'll see that in competition. :cry:

I love camel spins and flying sit spins and laybacks. And scratch spins. I wish more people could do scratch spins well these days.

I despise spiral sequences that are ugly to look at but I've already banged on enough about in other threads.