Sasha's "Beaver Cleaver" Spin?? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Sasha's "Beaver Cleaver" Spin??

AdultSkater

Match Penalty
Sasha Cohen disected

Hello everyone :)

Would it be fun after my recent 1+ year absence from GS to revive that thread and see if any of it came true? I don't remember all we discussed completely, but it may be fun.

How's it been going around here?

AS

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Sure have missed you Adult and hope you stick around. Welcome back. I hope the posts are more to your liking this time around.

nysk8r

Rinkside
Um, mathman, referring to your pic of Sasha doing a Y-spin, it seems to me that she is in the middle of a spiral sequence.

Hi giseladpkat - I think for the Y spin, the leg is held as close to the ear as possible while the I (BC or Pencil) spin is held close to the nose. The latter is really quite difficult and requires two hands to keep it in place.

Joe

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
Joesitz said:

peachstateskater - You probably never will see a dancer hold a leg in the air and spin. Dancers pirouette- not spin, and they don't hold legs.
Joe

Joe when my childhood dance teacher told me I should have been a dancer instead of a skater I was completely offended. I'm sure she had a fit about many things I did, lol.

My point was that dancers do not spin, pirouette, whatever you want to call it, very fast and do not need to hold their leg. If they were rotating at the rate of an elite, or even beginner, skater, they'd certainly need the hand to hold the leg to keep the position and balance of the spin. You think dancers are so much better, graceful and all that, but you're not taking into account that there's really no comparison since dancers aren't moving fast, spinning fast, or dealing with the issues that come with quicker motion. I respect both dancers and skaters for what they're able to do with their bodies, although having been a skater I obviously understand more about it than I do dance. I also understand why it is that a skater needs a hand on the leg on some moves and spins and I don't think that makes their moves any less spectacular than those of a dancer.

Peachstateskater - I think we are basically in agreement. Figure Skating and Dance are not exactly apples and oranges but maybe oranges and grapefruit.

It's just that I get somewhat worked up when some poster will say, so and so is so balletic. A skater can never be balletic because skates do not have an instep nor would a skater get very far if he skated in turned out positions, but Skaters can have a balletic line, yes! The 'glissade' is not the same as crossovers. A skater can never do an I or Y position without the aid of their hands and the resulting struggle to reach the top of those moves. So and So to me, is acrobatic and that's ok to be acrobatic but it is not ballet. Skating to me is a sport and whatever gets a medal is what a skater must do. So the Is and Ys are ok for the sport.

When I go to the ballet, which is often, I want to see good ballet moves in the ballet manner. When I watch as much figure skating as I can, I want to see genuine figure skating moves in the best esthetic manner (i.e., without struggle - just flow).

Just my taste and I would not impose it on another.

Btw, if you are still skating, all the best to you in your goals.

Cheers - Joe

Hi, Adult Skater. Good to see you over here on the new board.

I don't remember exactly what our predictions about Sasha were last year, but if one of them was, "Golden Skate will have one 10-page thread after another about her," then it came true!

Nysk8er, I think you're right about that. That's her catch leg spiral.

Giseledepkat, if you can't click on a link, it usually works if you copy the URL and paste it into your address bar. It's worth it for Pookie's pictures, especially this one:

http://www.toeloopy.com/images/events2002-2003/RockCenter/sc02rc0535.jpg

Mathman

Last edited:

giseledepkat

Rinkside
Thanks Joesitz for the clarification and Mathman for the computer tip -- I didn't know that one! Should come in useful in the future; I have often been frustrated by recalcitrant links. Maybe it's my Mac. Anyway, thanks, the picture was definately worth it!

GS Moderators rule! ;)

SkatePixie, I couldn't find that thread in the archives. The GS archives only go back to the 2002-2003 season, and I think that the thread was before that. As I remember it, it was mostly about Sasha's potential and what she had to do to overcome the consistency problems that were keeping her from realizing it.

So far this season, Sasha has answered.

Mathman

Thanks Pookie - I saw her dance in NY two summers ago, The Paris Opera Ballet was appearing with Sylvie and her reworked Giselle. It was a hoot. The traditional 1st Act is set in a pretty peasant village of wine growers and all the inhabitants are dressed in lovely peasant costumes. Sylvie changed all that to a very rustic village and the inhabitants were dressed in costumes which looked like they were slept in for a month. The traditional dances of the corps are lovely folk like. Sylvie's version was rowdy and ribald. As I said, it was a hoot.

2nd Act was really very balletic. She is quite a beautiful and special ballerina.

Joe

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Adultskater, good to see you posting again. What's your opinion of the code of points? Doris P.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Hi Adultskater..........glad to see you made it over to our new pad..........:) 42