Could Lysacek repeat as Olympic Champion? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Could Lysacek repeat as Olympic Champion?

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I can't believe some here are *underestimating* Evan's will & drive to win!

I can't believe that you thought Evan is that robotic! I at least trust him that he has his own brain to think clearly of himself and the situations surrounding him.;)

Seriously, who else presently skating can defeat him?

Errrrr, everybody?.... almost.:biggrin: ...Seriously, I think Evan's wins through out his last a few years, were largely won on his high PCS which were not supposed to be that high. The politics, does that ring something? There are a lot to be elaborated but I'll just stop here because everything we are saying here have already been repeated for countless times over his last a few years.

Now US has Armin - probably a reliable youngster, and Mroz - a plausable quad guy in a quad era, not to mention the decidedly skillful on every prospective Abbott and Rippon. The honeymoon is over for Evan. Wake up!

Of course, I don't actually mind this thread. It's so intertaining to read.:laugh: I've realized now how much I love Patrick Chan! Go Canada!

Last edited:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Of course, I don't actually mind this thread. It's so intertaining to read.:laugh: I've realized now how much I love Patrick Chan! Go Canada!

You have always loved Chan. Your worshipping of him in the Rostelcom Cup thread and being one of the only ones to defend his "6 falls and still win everything" Chan rule and talk about his 3 axel deserving +3 in GOE if he lands it says it all. Get rid of your Yagudin avatar, Chan would be heartbroken if he ever saw it.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
You have always loved Chan. Your worshipping of him in the Rostelcom Cup thread and being one of the only ones to defend his "6 falls and still win everything" Chan rule and talk about his 3 axel deserving +3 in GOE if he lands it says it all. Get rid of your Yagudin avatar, Chan would be heartbroken if he ever saw it.

Oh, thanks for helping me realize it!:laugh: Maybe I should.:biggrin:

Just one thing, where did you learn math?:unsure:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The math that says Chan fell 4 times and won Skate Canada and had the equivalent of 7 falls worth of mistakes and still nearly won in Russia over a guy who did 2 clean programs. Where did you learn yours. And this is the field that is producing a bunch of guys who can beat Evan Lysacek, a guy Chan couldnt even beat with 1 fall, according to you. :laugh:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No. He was lucky to win this time. He was only a point or so ahead of Plushy and if Takahashi had hit the quad, who knows? Evan is no match for the strong Japanese skaters and others, like Amdodio, will be contenders, too.

Why not? A healthy Lysacek has shown ability to land a quad, improve his take-off on a 3A, his spins are more than adequate, and he has demonstrated his ability to "sell" the footwork . A Lori program suits him just fine.

Of course he still has to work at it all and keep in shape for competitions. He has Worlds and Olys to his credit. What more could he want? Back to back Olys for the Men's Division has not been done since Dick Button back in the Forties. But it's up to him to continue competitive skating.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
The math that says Chan fell 4 times and won Skate Canada and had the equivalent of 7 falls worth of mistakes and still nearly won in Russia over a guy who did 2 clean programs. Where did you learn yours. And this is the field that is producing a bunch of guys who can beat Evan Lysacek, a guy Chan couldnt even beat with 1 fall, according to you. :laugh:

I like to read your posts, really, I couldn't stop laughing. But there are number 4, 7, 2, and 1. I couldn't find number 6 in this post which you've claimed in your last post.:laugh:

Chan's advanced into quad field this year. Where is Lysacek at? Will his injury prevent him from jumping 3A too?:p

fairly4

Medalist
yes he could win again, as well as not, . depends on how he skates versus other skaters.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Why not? A healthy Lysacek has shown ability to land a quad

The fairy tale that Lysacek hurt his foot in spring 009 and couldnt train/ land a quad in winter 2010 because of it, it is naive, we all watch figure skating for a while. Is it like the butterfly effect kind of thing?
i dont like that i disagree with you Joe:) but an injured Joubert that bladed his foot had shown ability to land a quad a month after , an injured ankle of Voronov had shown ability to land a quad a month after, an injured Lambiel could land a quad with 45 minutes warm preparation of his hip injury the last season, what Takahashi should say that he came back from a surgery and at first he was jumping singles? I can have a whole list back to 1998.
My mind says he couldnt do it and as a matter of fact he didnt need it anyway to win.
This and the work ethics stuff, that he is the hardest working skater. How people know that? Do you go to the training of lets say..Kovalenski and find him lazy?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
The fairy tale that Lysacek hurt his foot in spring 009 and couldnt train/ land a quad in winter 2010 because of it, it is naive, we all watch figure skating for a while. Is it like the butterfly effect kind of thing?

Actually Evan had to withdraw from 2008 Worlds because of an injury. I have understood that it was because of the quad. In season 2008-2009 he did not jump a quad in any competitions, and I believe he did not do it because the injury was still there (he had his foot in cast for a month in summer 2009). In fall 2009 Evan tried to bring to quad back, but apparently he had not been able to practice it enough for the Nationals, but he tried. After that it was the wisest thing to leave it out of the programme, in my opinion.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Jaana;533458After that it was the wisest thing to leave it out of the programme said:
of course it was the wisest thing to take it out, and he became OC without it, I m not arguing that.

Kwanford wife..lol

Well, one Quad is not going to do it for any skater what with Reynolds doing 3 different Quads and not winning. There is hidden in the competition, the concept of the Whole Package. remember that?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Why not? A healthy Lysacek has shown ability to land a quad, improve his take-off on a 3A, his spins are more than adequate, and he has demonstrated his ability to "sell" the footwork . A Lori program suits him just fine.

Of course he still has to work at it all and keep in shape for competitions. He has Worlds and Olys to his credit. What more could he want? Back to back Olys for the Men's Division has not been done since Dick Button back in the Forties. But it's up to him to continue competitive skating.

It's questionable whether he'll be healthy. It's questionable whether he'll be able to land the quad. It's questionable whether he'll be able to improve his 3A. Playing the odds.

I'm pretty sure Lysacek went for a quad in 4CC 09

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Lysacek's been having nagging hip and knee issues since at least 2005, I just don't see the point in putting his body through another olympic cycle... but it's ultimately his decision, doesn't look like he's too interested at the moment.

Lysacek's been having nagging hip and knee issues since at least 2005, I just don't see the point in putting his body through another olympic cycle... but it's ultimately his decision, doesn't look like he's too interested at the moment.
I agree, let the man make his own decisions.

Poodlepal

On the Ice
I don't think he should try. It's always sad when people who have won the gold medal try to come back years later. Evgeni Plushenko was the most successful, but it didn't go so well for Viktor Petrenko, Brian Boitano and of course, Alexei the Swan! (I always liked him, bless his feathery sleeves.) Even Katarina Witt couldn't three-peat.

As for Evan's victory--yeah, he played the system a little bit, figuring out how to rack up the points without doing a quad. Good for him. At least he didn't fall three times, do only the easiest triples or fall and stop his program for 3 minutes (Chinese pair of 2006). He still skated really well that night.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Lysacek did a quad at 2009 4CC and one judge gave him a +2 for it but then he underrotated his triple axel. He lost to Chan who was quadless and clean. Then all of a sudden his foot injury happens and he goes to worlds in 2009 quadless and clean and wins.