2011-2012 Program Stuff | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2011-2012 Program Stuff

mskater93

Record Breaker
Well, you seem totally wrapped up in the CoP, and will not allow any form of innovation (mythical or not). Unless, of course you believe it is innovated to change a defined jump by its rotation only. It's still the same jump by definition.

I am working under the current reality in my questions to you: the reality is that all skaters are currently judged under IJS (except for low level competitions). IJS rewards calculated risks. Skaters will take calculated risks so that they can WIN a competition and be applauded and gain fame (and possibly a sponsor/money/tour/etc). If it's too risky to include it, you can bet they won't. When IJS starts rewarding innovation with appropriate points, then you will see skaters try and develop something really cool and new. In the same way baseball went through the steroid phase because home runs were rewared with the most attention and $$$$, skaters will do exactly what they see they will need to in order to score the most points and win. Why try something you know is going to kill the next three elements and cost you a potential podium spot when you can do what you know will gain you enough points to finish in the top 3? Look at the history of figure skating - there are very few people who break new ground over time, it's a very conservative sport with regard to anything "new".

^^^
I can't believe you are blank on sports in general. Risks are a staple in all sports, but they are not rewarded with partial credit.

The only thing new in Figure Skating is an additional rotation on a jump even though it is the same jump.

Making the elements easy do not make for a better sport. There is no such thing in reality that is a wrong edge takeoff, but it does make it easier to have it called for the wannabee skaters. Wallys and Toe Wallys have disappeared because they were too difficult for wannabee figure skaters.

I agree there is no new ground in Figure Skating. It's a finite sport of sorts.

mskater93

Record Breaker
^^^
I can't believe you are blank on sports in general. Risks are a staple in all sports, but they are not rewarded with partial credit..

I am not blank on sports in general, I look at reality and the reality is that the athletes chase what is rewarded. That is human nature. Examples from other sports where people have chased what is rewarded: professional baseball - homeruns were really being rewarded so a bunch of guys made it easier on themselves by taking steroids so they could hit more homeruns (and hoped they wouldn't get found out) or Tour bicycle racing - EPO ruled the day through the 90s and early 00s so that these guys could keep up with Lance Armstrong (who may or may not have used EPO depending on if you believe Lance or all the witnesses). I guess in your opinion those guys all took "risks". ;) In my opinion, they chased what was rewarded and tried to find the "easiest" way to get that reward. That is what figure skaters do (minus the steroids/EPO, hopefully, although that would make for a great "villain" in skating :) ) - chase what is rewarded whether that's a 3+3/3A in ladies or a couple quad jumps in the men's division. When something really cool gets really rewarded, skaters will all start doing it to varying degrees of success, although I highly suspect that no one else will try the "Stewicide".

berrya

Rinkside
Davis and White
SD Music: "Batucadas" by Mitoka Samba, "Life is a Carnival" by various artists and "On The Floor" by Jennifer Lopez
FD Music: Music from La Strada by Nino Rota

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Davis and White
SD Music: "Batucadas" by Mitoka Samba, "Life is a Carnival" by various artists and "On The Floor" by Jennifer Lopez

in love. I had a vision of B/A's Let's Get Loud Latin OD in Torino when I saw that SD choice ;)))
La Strada is a fantastic score and so ripe for great dance interpretation. Can't wait for the sea onto start!!!

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Adam Rippon has posted his music choices in his blog
LP: Air and Toccata and Fugue by Bach
Oh, god...

I thought the last year's couple with Rach was a joke: a boy + the Man's passion. But Bach + Rippon is even worse! It's not that easy to interprete baroque music. He should stick with the altar boy image or he can employ Edvin Marton. That dude can change anything into anything with his witchy violin. Real Master (in hsi field).
Davis and White
Quite a challenge to dance La Strada after Dai. It will be interesting to see what they will make of it.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Surely Dai did an amazing job!

So for that matter, did Rahkamo & Kokko!

However, La Strada is just a nice piece of music that lifts almost everyone that skates to it; it's got to be easier to skate to than the tangoes D&W used this year from the Postman & Forever Tango. You can certainly see Meryl's love of Italian movies and Italy in general in their choices, though!

What I'm interested to see is how they splice those 3 pieces listed for the SD together.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I think it'll be a challenge, honestly. "La Strada" has rueful, wistful quality that they haven't really done before. They can do playful (Bollywood OD), but I'm not sure this will be easier (or more accurately, the dance might be less dense, but playing up the subtle undercurrents will be more challenging, imo).

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Adam Rippon has posted his music choices in his blog

SP: Korobushka by Bond, choreographed by Shae-Lynn Bourne
LP: Air and Toccata and Fugue by Bach, choreographed by Pasquale Camerlengo

more details here

Gotta say neither one of these sound promising. The LP sounds like his usual style, classical, safe, but I can't see him being a convincing gypsy dancer. no, just can't see it.

herios

Medalist
I think it'll be a challenge, honestly. "La Strada" has rueful, wistful quality that they haven't really done before. They can do playful (Bollywood OD), but I'm not sure this will be easier (or more accurately, the dance might be less dense, but playing up the subtle undercurrents will be more challenging, imo).

I personally am underwhelmed by D&W FD choice. They could have been a lot more original than choosing "La Strada".

KKonas

Medalist
in love. I had a vision of B/A's Let's Get Loud Latin OD in Torino when I saw that SD choice ;)))
La Strada is a fantastic score and so ripe for great dance interpretation. Can't wait for the sea onto start!!!

Love their SD music choices. For the FD they said they were working on some challenging new lifts, so maybe it will have a "circus" feel. Won't be in Canton this fall, so I will have to wait until Skate America to see their programs.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
I don't know if this is appropriate, but is there any way we could have a thread with a comprehensive list of all the programs, by discipline - as we have had in past years.

That list has always been one of my favorite features of anything on Golden Skate.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes. I have put off doing it because I have been very closely following events in Japan, but I'll be getting the thread set up this month.