Short Program to "Chariots of Fire" | Golden Skate

Short Program to "Chariots of Fire"

silverpond

On the Ice
Was driving to work today with my "Chariots of Fire" CD soundtrack providing some inspirational, get-up-and-go atmosphere. As I was heading out, I thought, "Wouldn't this make a terrific piece of music for a competitive short program? I'm sure I'm not the first person to think this, not by a longshot!

There's enough pace and drama in the music -- you know, the piece that played when the British Olypmpic track team ran along the beach at Brighton -- for a skater to place his or her jumps and spins and present them with a lot of pizazz.

There's the final part of the "running" piece that, IMHO, would make an outstanding background for the serpentine footwork. I can invision choreography that would make this look almost like a track meet, with "virtual" hurdles, spinning (with imaginary discus), and long jump along the length of the rink. Someone like Sandra Bezic could probably fit in the footwork and tricks, and with the right skater, it would make quite an impact. I could see someone like a young Kurt Browning brilliantly handle that type of footwork.
Ah, bliss!! :thumbsup:

Just my two cents, of course.

Lovely music, full of emotional power. I think you're right: it's better for an SP than an LP because it doesn't have enough "build" or interior changes. Vangelis music in general has a lot of potential, and I hope some current skaters exploit its possibilities.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I stopped hearing this song in elevators, holding telephone lines, doctor offices, supermarkets and the bank.. only when I left the country. :laugh:
I m not very fond of Papathanasiou in skating. But his music works under a full moon openair concert.:)

I stopped hearing this song in elevators, holding telephone lines, doctor offices, supermarkets and the bank.. only when I left the country. :laugh:
I m not very fond of Papathanasiou in skating. But his music works under a full moon openair concert.:)

You have a unique perspective on Vangelis, Seniorita! I guess we probably had a lot of elevator Vangelis too at some point, but I can't recall it being so all-encompassing, thank goodness.

silverpond

On the Ice
And for the final pose.....the skater would come to a stop on his/her knees, then slowly rise to the position sprinters take at the starting blocks. Ideally, the skater would face the judges!