Sandhu The New Gpf Champ Of 2003!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | Golden Skate

Sandhu The New Gpf Champ Of 2003!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shine

Record Breaker
HE FRIGGIN DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD I'M SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RPOUD OF DA E-MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IF ANYONE, IT'S HIM.
WTG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D :D :D

I'M SORRY TO BE RUDE BUT GS'S SUPPLY OF EMOTICONS SERIUSLY DOESN'T SATISFY MY NEEDS RIGHT NOW.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
LOL, Shine! I'm glad you are so pleased! I've always enjoyed Sandhu and found him to be so pleasing to watch, I'm glad he finally had a good skate...and beat the reigning World Champion and EXTREME favorite! I do hope Evgeny is alright though.

shine

Record Breaker
Is this officially the biggest upset since that Hughe's in SLC?? Or is it even bigger? I think it IS bigger...OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

moyesii

Rinkside
It looks like Sandhu won on a technicality. If you look at the detailed score sheets, Plushy outskated Sandhu. Sandhu received -GOE for both his quad and triple axel combinations. Plushy did 2 quads and a triple axel, all in combinations, but he recieved ZERO credit for the 3rd combination. That cost him the gold. See why CoP stinks? How ironic that Sandhu is Canadian.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Sandhu won by following the rules, which limits jump elements in a "well-rounded" program to eight, with two combinations or sequences. Plushenko did not follow the rules when he did three combinations to open his program (4T/3T, 4T/2L, 3A/2T), and he received no credit for the third. He lost by breaking them, as even a bad fall on a solo 3A would have given him four points and a marginal overall victory. Which is his choice.

Under OBO there were rules, like the Zayak rule and maximum number of elements; it was up to each judge to enforce them. Under CoP judges aren't able to decide whether to give extra credit for breaking the rules, as it appears some judges did for Joubert at Worlds last year, after he performed two 4T's, neither of them in combination.

What a terrible system that makes the rules clear up front and enforces them :)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
moyesii said:
It looks like Sandhu won on a technicality. If you look at the detailed score sheets, Plushy outskated Sandhu. Sandhu received -GOE for both his quad and triple axel combinations. Plushy did 2 quads and a triple axel, all in combinations, but he recieved ZERO credit for the 3rd combination. That cost him the gold. See why CoP stinks? How ironic that Sandhu is Canadian.
You mean that under the old system the judges could have chosen to ignore Zayak, and it is more difficult to do so under CoP? Also, even assuming that Plushy's loss to Sandhu was wrong, it just means that CoP needs to be "tweaked" to allow certain repetitions, not that the system is inherently flawed.

Finally, even if Plushy should have gotten credit for the 3d combo, Sandhu's accomplishment here is still very impressive. The nearest scores, Weiss's, aren't anywhere close to the top 2.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Thanks, Rgal. I knew that sleeping through geography would some day come back to bite me on the $$$!:D

moyesii

Rinkside
In Plushy's own words:
When asked what place that was, Plushenko answered "first place." Plushenko added that he didn¡¯t do the triple Salchow because he was tired at the end of the program and thought he didn¡¯t need it. And, he said, in the 6.0 system the third combination would have counted.
Don't shoot the messenger.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Got it. But is Colorado still in Canada???:laugh:

Jessica Simpson

moyesii

Rinkside
Hm, hockeyfan228's logic:
even a bad fall on a solo 3A would have given him four points and a marginal overall victory...
What a terrible system that makes the rules clear up front and enforces them.
What a wonderful system that would have awarded the gold medal to the skater if only he would have fallen on his triple axel, instead of doing those 2 beautiful quads and triple axel combinations. :rolleye:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Got it. But is Colorado still in Canada???:laugh:

Jessica Simpson

Now Piel, am I going to have to give you a geography lesson to make up for those you missed in school?

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
You mean that under the old system the judges could have chosen to ignore Zayak, and it is more difficult to do so under CoP?
Under the old system, the Zayak rule was broken all of the time in Ladies', because a "flutz" was really a flip, and a skater who performed two "flutzes" and a flip should have had one disallowed. Under CoP a "flutz" is a lutz with a change of edge, and the deduction is based on how long the edge was cheated. Also in the old system, whether an underrotated quad was considered a triple or a quad was up to each judge. So the Zayak rule could have been broken there as well. In the CoP, a called underrotated jump is downgraded, with points taken from the GOE as well. (According to Marie Hughes' report, this will change.)

Given his overall weak technical skate at Worlds', it appears that Joubert was given at least partial credit for two 4T's at Worlds '03. I believe Liashenko performed more than the total allowable overall jumps at Euros or Worlds' last year and avoided the Zayak rule by tacking on extra 2T's to repeated 3's. (I don't have a tape of Euros '03.)

Because there was only one score for tech, the judges could have ignored the Zayak rule and justified a high score based on their own rating hierarchy. ("He did a fantastic XYZ, and earned the ordinal that way. Extra 4T had nothing to do with it.") Under CoP the computer looks for rules violations based on what's listed as a performed element, and removes it from the score. The judges still grade the element; unless they're keeping track, they're unaware until the end that the rule has been broken.

The only place in CoP that I find iffy is when Cohen was given credit for an attempted combo in her LP when she didn't even attempt one; most skaters stand up from a fall and at least attempt a 1T, to show the effort. Under OBO it was up to the judge to decide if the skater really intended to do a combo there, one s/he had seen in practice many times. I don't understand why Cohen got credit for that, but I haven't heard of it happening since. I wonder if someone got a talking to; the intention doesn't matter under CoP.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Yes ma'am. I was out getting pierced when I wasn't sleeping.:laugh: :D :laugh: