Patrick Chan | Page 58 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

emdee

Final Flight
Dragonlady, we try to keep dissension to a minimum on this thread - even if some of us look at PC with rose coloured glasses, myself included.

I think both you and Boeing have a point.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Whatever happened does not matter now, does it? Not when he has two Silver and two Gold medals in 5 trips to Worlds and he is just 21. I am sure all competing Men today wish they had such a record. I say he is doing damn well and he is not done yet. Strongest competitor and best Men skater under COP so far. :thumbsup:

The first Worlds is for the experience and Patrick, fast learner that he is, stepped up and leapfrogged over everybody else since. How many skaters have fumbled and tanked after an unexpected medal at Worlds? (Or even just an outstanding breakout showing at an international competition.)They are not really ready for the podium and don't learn what they need to with a surprise medal. Patrick has a winner's mindset that turns every experience, including negative and disappointing ones, into stepping stone to the next level. Thus he has an amazing trajectory in his journey with few detours.

eta. emdee, I think healthy debates are fun and often educational. It is only when people are closed minded with agendas that makes for unpleasant "discussions". So far we are mostly fun loving and Patrick loving people here. Rose colored lenses or not, we have been making fun of Patrick aplenty in this thread! :biggrin:

Last edited:

emdee

Final Flight
Boeing, I rewatched the 2 performances and agree he should have been marked higher. His musicality in this Long program was spectacular.
The footwork in both programs are what we now know to be vintage Patrick. What a feat for a very young man - I think he was barely 17.

Last edited:

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
Aprilsnowy, did you get Don Laws' quote from this site? How about translating the Japanese part of the text for us? :) (Hope that's is a sweet and irresistible smile.)

I've done the homework, SkateFiguring. This is for you:) Translating Japanese was not easy for me, so forgive my awkward English writing.

http://patrickchanbol.blogspot.jp/

Patrick’s new ex program, “Til Kingdom Come” was televised.

What a gentle and sweet touch his skating has!
It really makes me feel happy. Whenever I have some trouble or unpleasant experience and feel tired in my daily life, I watch his video and then my negative feelings are blown away. I cannot tell how often his performance has eased my mind. How lucky I was to discover his skating!

Watching this program, I suddenly remembered what his former coach, Mr. Laws had said before the Vancouver Olympics,” People said Patrick skates like God and I thought to myself, I have to see this because I don't know how God skates. ”

And to my surprise, an overseas friend of mine, who is also Patrick’s fan and happened to share the channel of this video, said, “he really skates like God!” We had exactly the same impression after watching this performance. Wow!

By the way, the lyrics of this program are also fascinating.

Perhaps there are only two seasons left for us to be able to watch his skating. I have no idea what will happen to him in the future, he may have some change or difficulties. But hopefully I can root for him until the Sochi Olympics no matter what.

To tell the truth, I wish I could watch his skating forever. I just don’t want him to retire, as his skating is too fantastic.

Well, I almost forgot to add, he looked so cute when he said the Japanese word, “Hato” (a pigeon in English).

P.S. I heard this program had been choreographed by Wilson and Kathy a few days before he left for Japan. According Tu Ly’s tweet, Patrick and Wilson were making a new free program at that time, so probably this show number, too.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thank you so very much for the translation, Aprilsnowy. :bow: Your English is superb, a million times better than Google. :) The only thing I want to correct, not because it's grammatically wrong, is that Don Laws is Patrick's former coach, not his late coach. Mr. Colson is Patrick's late coach because he passed away.

Your translation makes me as happy as Emi about Patrick's skating! What a wonderful fan she is and such a wonderful site she has for him. I especially love her photo album. Will you please let Emi know how much we appreciate her fandom and her dedication? I already brought up her site here several times but I can't leave her Japanese messages.

Oh, another translation request. What did Patrick say in Japanese? I know he thanked the Japanese fans but why did he bring up pigeons? Just because it was one of the few words he knew? ;)

noskates

Record Breaker
Aprilsnowy - thank you so much for the translation. You did fine!! Reading things like this just make me so excited for the season to start.:yay:

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
My pleasure, SF and noskates;) Thanks to Patrick, I think I have to brush up my English.

SF, I looked up in my dictionary and then understood what you meant, yes, Mr. Laws was Patrick's former coach:laugh: A simple word is rather difficult to use precisely, isn't it?

Emi has been a lurking fan here, so she knew you brought up her site before. After I posted the translation, I told her about it and she was so happy to hear how you appreciated and enjoyed her blog:) Perhaps she will come join us soon:clap:

Oh, another translation request. What did Patrick say in Japanese? I know he thanked the Japanese fans but why did he bring up pigeons? Just because it was one of the few words he knew?
When asked to tell some Japanese words he knew, he said, "Hello, Good morning, Thank you very much, Adorable (= Kawaii)", and then "a pigeon":laugh:
This unexpected word puzzled us a little bit also in Japan. Maybe someone taught him the Japanese name of a pigeon when he visited one of many temples or shrines in Japan and saw lots of pigeons there!

Oh, I've just found Emi updated her site!

I always love when someone reacts to skating this way--that watching a video of a particular skate lifts his or her spirits on a bad day. It shows the power of skating that makes it more than just a sport.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Welcome E m i to the GoldenSkate forum and to The Fest! :clap: I can see your name in the member list now and hope you will have no problem posting very soon. Are you the person behind pchan_youtube (twilog) as well? The latest Patrick (doll) video has me :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dpB...e_gdata&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Olympia said:
I always love when someone reacts to skating this way--that watching a video of a particular skate lifts his or her spirits on a bad day. It shows the power of skating that makes it more than just a sport.

ITA. That's why I hate bashing because no matter your personal feelings about a particular skater, they bring much joy and inspiration to many others. OTOH, I think nobody should let others' blunt criticisms take away their enjoyment of their favorite skater(s) and the sport.

eta
"Aprilnowy" said:
SF, I looked up in my dictionary and then understood what you meant, yes, Mr. Laws was Patrick's former coach A simple word is rather difficult to use precisely, isn't it?

I brought it up because I didn't think Mr. Laws would appreciate being referred to as Patrick's late coach, yet.;) Just remember, a former coach is not necessarily a late coach but a late coach is always a former coach. :) But somehow I feel that Mr. Colson is still coaching Patrick, in different ways from before. Patrick and others have always credited Mr. Colson with laying a great foundation by mastering his skating skills but I have no doubt that his expectation of and belief in Patrick instilled the expectation of himself by Patrick that is fundamental to his success and mental strength. I've always believed it was Mr. Colson who conspired with the Universe to send that Belief balloon to Patrick in centre ice at the end of his Olympics Gala performance. Coolest delivery of a message ever!

Last edited:

Aprilsnowy

Rinkside
But somehow I feel that Mr. Colson is still coaching Patrick, in different ways from before. Patrick and others have always credited Mr. Colson with laying a great foundation by mastering his skating skills but I have no doubt that his expectation of and belief in Patrick instilled the expectation of himself by Patrick that is fundamental to his success and mental strength. I've always believed it was Mr. Colson who conspired with the Universe to send that Belief balloon to Patrick in centre ice at the end of his Olympics Gala performance. Coolest delivery of a message ever!

We can never thank Mr. Colson enough.
Seeing the balloon and the word "Belief" on it, I myself thought it was a message from Mr. Colson, too. Such a magical moment;) I'll never forget Patrick's genuine smile when he caught the balloon!

BTW I found this video of the paid TV program, the opening scene of DOI last month.
(Though the show was broadcast nationwide yesterday and I could finally watch it on TV screen, some of the opening and ending scenes as well as Patrick's interview were cut:disapp: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KvGoP2cKB4

It's true the rink was too small for him to skate to the best of his ability, as those who went to the show pointed out before.:laugh:

We can never thank Mr. Colson enough.
Seeing the balloon and the word "Belief" on it, I myself thought it was a message from Mr. Colson, too. Such a magical moment;) I'll never forget Patrick's genuine smile when he caught the balloon!

BTW I found this video of the paid TV program, the opening scene of DOI last month.
(Though the show was broadcast nationwide yesterday and I could finally watch it on TV screen, some of the opening and ending scenes as well as Patrick's interview were cut:disapp: )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KvGoP2cKB4

It's true the rink was too small for him to skate to the best of his ability, as those who went to the show pointed out before.:laugh:

Thanks for the link! Cool blog you have btw:D

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker

There are some skaters who can barely fill the NHL-sized rinks (smaller than Olympic regulation rink for figure skating). Patrick, Dai, Yu Na, V/M, D/W, S/S, G/G, Boitano, Yagudin, and many greats can fill even the stadiums used for Olympic track and field with their skating.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Here is a backstage video from SC 2011 that I never saw. His comment on the French audience was interesting back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=8RDqbPdvfuo&NR=1

Ahem, this past weekend I received predictions on major competitions and skaters, with some surprises. Full of good news for Patrick and his fans. :yay: However, he will not win JO this year, which doesn't bother me one tiny bit. :biggrin: Let's wait and see. ;)

eta. Found a fun video with a few goofy guys (the second one is really funny. I think I saw the first before.):

COS Awards and Ice Show Practice (1) May 14th 2011

COS Awards and Ice Show Practice (2) May 14th 2011

I remember Patrick got teased a lot when he won his first Worlds title. No respect from his Canadian team mates!

Etaa: Pchiddy twitted earlier:

Big thanks to the Mandarin Charitable Foundation for raising funds at its 13th Annual Charity Golf Tournament to support ThinkFirst Canada!

And now there is a picture:

Pchiddy:
About to sing O Canada at the 13th Annual Mandarin Charity Golf Tournament dinner =) http://t.co/TJ9S6Unk

Last edited:

emdee

Final Flight
SF,
Last year I had gone for the COS awards - had one ice tickets at centre ice. Which meant Patrick got his award about 6 feet from me. All other awards were given at the other end but the person handing Patrick his award was seated at our table.

This year I called to find out if PC was going to be there but they said no. Didnt go. Maybe he will be there next year. Its worth it just to see those magic feet up close!

The mens group with Dylan and Bryce etc was hilarious.

Silly me was too tired that evening to go to the banquet or I could have met PC. Problem is I love his skating but am not a groupie.

When do you guys think he'll announce the coach? It's been so long and about time I think. This state of no news or no info gets me curiouser and curiouser.

SGrand

Final Flight
When do you guys think he'll announce the coach? It's been so long and about time I think. This state of no news or no info gets me curiouser and curiouser.

I'm wondering this as well........I'm also dying to know what he'll be skating to!!!
When does this info usually come out? Seems everyone else's coaching changes have been announced already. Starting to worry he doesn't have a 'real' tech coach.......although I realize I probably shouldn't worry :p
Wish the normally NOT tight-lipped PC would open up about all of this so we can stop wondering and speculating :laugh:

Last edited: