Patrick Chan | Page 225 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Hearing his K&C conversion with his coach, I think Patrick is more affected by this particular ice condition than others because of his technique. He is all about the flow on ice, including flowing into his jumps with a comfortable rhythm.

Not being able to use his legendary deep edges affected both his TES and PCS. I think he will reflect, adjust and find his flow to skate the LP he will be happy with.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Hearing his K&C conversion with his coach, I think Patrick is more affected by this particular ice condition than others because of his technique. He is all about the flow on ice, including flowing into his jumps with a comfortable rhythm.

Not being able to use his legendary deep edges affected both his TES and PCS. I think he will reflect, adjust and find his flow to skate the LP he will be happy with.

Good, because he has until Sunday at 3:48 p.m. Taipei time to do it, and he is still skating last according to the schedule.

Has he ever competed at a venue like this, where the ice was not friendly to his deep edges? How does a skater adjust to that? Push down harder on the ice? Increase his speed? I will be praying that he and Kathy find a solution fast.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
There are reasons I advocated sending love to the ice Patrick skates on.

Dr. Emoto conducted the famous water experiments where emotions were clearly shown to affect water. Words like Love, Gratitude and Truth yield beautiful crystals whereas You Fool, I Will Kill You and You Disgust Me cause ugly crystalizations. Water exposed to different sounds and music also resulted in very different patterns. Here are some examples but you can look up many more images. Prayers too clear up and beautify polluted water.

As we are made mostly of water, imagine the effects of both positive and negative thoughts and emotions have on us.

Let's send love and blessing to Patrick and the ice for the LP.

Sam L

Medalist

Very interesting about the ice conditions. I hope Patrick can put up a strong FS.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States

:agree: EXACTLY!!! Someone in the competition thread (which I skimmed a few pages of this morning but have no time or desire to go back to) said something like, "Stop the excuses, Patrick, the ice was bad for everyone, others didn't have problems." First of all, Patrick's way of skating is super dependent on deep edges and turns and blade work and flow, so when the ice is different and he can't do that as well as usual, he's going to notice it a lot. Nobody else skates exactly like Patrick, so I think it IS different for him than for others. Every skater experiences these types of things differently due to various factors. Second of all, elite figure skaters should know about good ice since they train and compete on ice year-round for many years. Patrick knows what feels best for him out on the ice and this was not it. Plus, it's something Patrick said only to Kathy in the K&C, which we were able to overhear, (AFAIK) so it's not as if he went to the media and threw a fit about the ice. In the same post, the person said that Patrick needs to get a jump coach or he'll be buried in the standings. :slink:

Sorry, I just had to get that out. Sending good thoughts to Patrick and the ice for the LP. :ghug:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
:agree: EXACTLY!!! Someone in the competition thread (which I skimmed a few pages of this morning but have no time or desire to go back to) said something like, "Stop the excuses, Patrick, the ice was bad for everyone, others didn't have problems." First of all, Patrick's way of skating is super dependent on deep edges and turns and blade work and flow, so when the ice is different and he can't do that as well as usual, he's going to notice it a lot. Nobody else skates exactly like Patrick, so I think it IS different for him than for others. Every skater experiences these types of things differently due to various factors. Second of all, elite figure skaters should know about good ice since they train and compete on ice year-round for many years. Patrick knows what feels best for him out on the ice and this was not it. Plus, it's something Patrick said only to Kathy in the K&C, which we were able to overhear, (AFAIK) so it's not as if he went to the media and threw a fit about the ice. In the same post, the person said that Patrick needs to get a jump coach or he'll be buried in the standings. :slink:

Sorry, I just had to get that out. Sending good thoughts to Patrick and the ice for the LP. :ghug:

Well, well... I just knew someone was going to say that Patrick was making excuses, blah, blah, blah. And you're right, this was a private conversation with his coach, not something he proclaimed to the public.

My first thought when I heard what he said to Kathy was that he is like a finely-tuned precision instrument, and the fact that he could tell that he was skating on his edges shallowly with little control was remarkable to me. Knowing that he was "handicapped" in this way going into the skate makes his no-fall performance even more admirable to me.

I think if the weather in Taipei cooperates (dryer air), and they heat the ice up a bit to 26-28 degrees F (-2 to -3 C), that would help Patrick.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Well, well... I just knew someone was going to say that Patrick was making excuses, blah, blah, blah. And you're right, this was a private conversation with his coach, not something he proclaimed to the public.

My first thought when I heard what he said to Kathy was that he is like a finely-tuned precision instrument, and the fact that he could tell that he was skating on his edges shallowly with little control was remarkable to me. Knowing that he was "handicapped" in this way going into the skate makes his no-fall performance even more admirable to me.

I think if the weather in Taipei cooperates (dryer air), and they heat the ice up a bit to 26-28 degrees F (-2 to -3 C), that would help Patrick.

Just to clarify things, Patrick did say in his interview that the ice had been bad and that he couldn't get the feel for it, more than once.(Japan Broadcast) -I was the one who posted about the interview, but not with any ill-will towards him. I think a lot of the North American skaters suffered due to the ice condition.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I actually went back and saw that post as well, Interspectator, and thought about whether to edit my post. The person whose negative post I paraphrased above was someone else. You never said that Patrick should not make excuses or that he should get a jump coach. I appreciate that you shared the information in a "here's what he said" way without passing judgment. Did he sound negative or upset when he said it, or was it more that he always shares a lot in interviews? From your brief summary, it sounded to me like he was being relatively positive about it. Like, "Here's what made it challenging for me today but I got through it," as opposed to "blaming the ice?"

I'll look around and see if the clip is posted somewhere on dailymotion...he seemed a bit frustrated or tired.

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
Just to clarify things, Patrick did say in his interview that the ice had been bad and that he couldn't get the feel for it, more than once.(Japan Broadcast) -I was the one who posted about the interview, but not with any ill-will towards him. I think a lot of the North American skaters suffered due to the ice condition.
I actually went back and saw that post as well, Interspectator, and thought about whether to edit my post. The person whose negative post I paraphrased above was someone else. You never said that Patrick should not make excuses or that he should get a jump coach. I appreciate that you shared the information in a "here's what he said" way without passing judgment. Did he sound negative or upset when he said it, or was it more that he always shares a lot in interviews? From your brief summary, it sounded to me like he was being relatively positive about it. Like, "Here's what made it challenging for me today but I got through it," as opposed to "blaming the ice?"

ETA: Please ignore the fact that this post and Interspectator's response are now in reverse order. I deleted the post and then changed my mind, while Interspectator was posting a reply, so then I decided to repost the original. :laugh:

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
regarding the ice.

VB made an excellent point... Patrick doesn't skate like anyone else, and I can totally understand how it can make a bigger difference for him than some other skaters.....

it's the same for pianists.... i prefer certain kinds of pianos that my technique and body are suited better for, and others will play better on other kinds... very simple... it's not an excuse at all ... it's the reality... and like pianists, skaters ought to adapt to a medium that is not perfectly suited for them, but it can be nearly impossible.... and it definitely will affect some more than others..

so that's how I can relate to this... just sharing as I am sick of reading things like "oh yeah... he's making excuses".... well hear this : perhaps others are not as refined in their skating as he is, therefore do not even notice the difference... they could skate on nails and land everything.... :)

gosh... i am so edgy :) time for a glass of bubbly to celebrate all the love we share for patrick ;)

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist

Thanks, Interspectator. Patrick has also said before to the Taiwanese press that the ice conditions fluctuated and was a challenge for him. But did he actually use the word "bad"? Even Poje and Weaver said that the "ice felt different than what they were used to and it threw them off a bit." bit.ly/1osTrGx

Now I wonder what was in the ice? Here's a profile of the Taipei arena. It says temperatures within the ice skating rink are kept within 12~15℃, but it doesn't mention the actual temperature of the ice. It is currently the only ice rink in Taiwan that meets ISU standards.

so that's how I can relate to this... just sharing as I am sick of reading things like "oh yeah... he's making excuses".... well hear this : perhaps others are not as refined in their skating as he is, therefore do not even notice the difference... they could skate on nails and land everything.... :)

I love that "skate on nails and land everything" line! :laugh: I am thankful he is not struggling with illness like many of the other skaters, including Megan Duhamel who had to withdraw. Stay healthy, Patrick!

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Thanks, Interspectator. Patrick has also said before to the Taiwanese press that the ice conditions fluctuated and was a challenge for him. But did he actually use the word "bad"? Even Poje and Weaver said that the "ice felt different than what they were used to and it threw them off a bit." bit.ly/1osTrGx

Now I wonder what was in the ice? Here's a profile of the Taipei arena. It says temperatures within the ice skating rink are kept within 12~15℃, but it doesn't mention the actual temperature of the ice. It is currently the only ice rink in Taiwan that meets ISU standards.

I love that "skate on nails and land everything" line! :laugh: I am thankful he is not struggling with illness like many of the other skaters, including Megan Duhamel who had to withdraw. Stay healthy, Patrick!

Perhaps he said 'not good' but I can't remember exactly now. I'm still looking for a Japan broadcast version to be posted somewhere so I can re-check.

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
It was probably too cold in that arena. If I may link to OniBan's on-site report post:

There may be some problem with the ice too because each time before the zamboni came out you see ppl running out with buckets (of what I wonder??) to patch spots on various areas.

In free dance, right before Elisabeth and Francois took to the ice - there's a couple of little girls stamping and smoothing down the ice in the corner with their skates. I wonder what's that about.

Maia and Alex do look pretty nervous just before their programme (they were circling the ice while waiting for the scores for prev couple and went right past us XD).. at one point she was rubbing her hands and thighs so I wonder too if the rink is colder than usual/ than what they're used to. I noticed Madison Chock did the same.

Some places have climes that are just not as suitable for ice skating, and I'm sorry to say I'm not surprised that Taipei is one of them.

I love what OniBan said about Patrick's skating, though:

Finally, Patrick Chan. I was never a huge fan but I think I can finally understand what his skating skills are all about. The guy moves like knife through butter and I don't know how to explain it - but his moves just flows and they are big. When he does his step sequence it isn't just on a small area on the ice with short strokes, it went in large arcs around the ice so smoothly that you don't realize what a feat that is until you compare it to someone else.
I know his jumps aren't entirely here today.. but damn - his PCS shouldn't be only 5 pts ahead of Boyang Jin. I can't believe I'm saying this for Patrick Chan (I mean him, needing more pcs points???). But I get it now.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

noooooo... sigh... i was planning to stay up and watch the pairs... i guess i won't... and nooooooo... meagan... noooooooooo :( get healthy soon!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
btw... did you guys notice we reached the 300th page in this thread ;)

let's tell patrick 300 times how much we believe in him !

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Another comment from Patrick about the ice in this article. He explains why the ice is so important to him.

However, Chan couldn’t get a grip on the ice in the arena all week.

“With the way I skate, I like to really use the ice to set my timing and the feedback I get from the ice is very important,” he said.

He'll have to somehow work with that non-communicative ice for just one more performance. :bang:

btw... did you guys notice we reached the 300th page in this thread ;)

let's tell patrick 300 times how much we believe in him !

Yes, thanks to all! Maybe we can keep it going until 1,000 pages!