Patrick Chan | Page 227 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
My internet cut out for all of Patrick's performance and most of Jin's. It came back just when his results were announced and cut out again. I managed to read a bit off and on since.

Congratulations, Patrick. I never doubted you. While others believe in their jinxing power, I believe in power of love and positivity.

Now, I need the videos, performance, K&C, interviews.........

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
Last edited:

liv

Record Breaker
That was probably his best ever skate. Two quads I expected, but 2 3As? I knew the 2nd was planned, but was not confident he could do it. Nice to be proven wrong.

I think skating directly after Boyang worked in his favour. Boyang hit all his jumps, but the direct contrast in skating skills and program complexity was really emphasized. That was a lesson to all in "that is how it is done, guys."

Boston will be gr8. So many contenders with different strengths...

Kuan

Final Flight
I had to work all weekend and couldn´t follow 4CC, just ladies SP. BUT. I. AM. SOOO. HAPPY!!! And proud of our boy :eekn::love: Best skate from a man I have ever seen. And his axels :love::love::love:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
That was probably his best ever skate. Two quads I expected, but 2 3As? I knew the 2nd was planned, but was not confident he could do it. Nice to be proven wrong.

I expected and scheduled him to execute all his planned technical elements cleanly at this event. He already accomplished that for his SP at the Nationals and only downgraded a 3T in the 4CC SP due to difficult ice conditions. The main thing is to do it for his LP. He did it, beautifully.

I like his mental state here very much. No frustrations and preoccupations, he was totally into his program and celebrated the achievement of his goal without attachment to his scores and placement which came to him as happy bonuses. Kathy and Patrick were celebrating the scores when he looked up to find he had won, so more to celebrate but not incredulously or in a state of overjoy. He's got the champion mindset back.

Also love Han Yan doing a version of :bow: to his performance.

Patrick is on track. Now it's time to rest up and then be ready for Worlds where he will put it all together. Is it possible his love letter will be even more moving then?

back2black

Rinkside
have watched live and the video n+1 times since, what an entrancing performance !!! not a big fan of the four seasons (always feel his upper body too rigid then) but today he totally won me over, soooo looking forward to WC now :happy:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i watched it live but it was late and i went to bed right away after... i woke up this morning thinking ... did I dream this or was it real ? went to the isu site and looked at the protocols and almost jumped with the laptop in my hands!!! :) watched his skate again and it was just so beautiful.... people tend to forget one very important thing... Patrick does not just succeed the jumps... they are BEAUTIFUL in the air and he lands them with flow.... not everyone realizes this... this is actually what drew me to his skating at first....the spins are gorgeous too.. without unnecessary positions. Truly, I have a hard time associating art with sport.... and many do it freely when it comes to figure skating, but his performance yesterday was the closest to art I have seen in figure skating.... the salchow was timed so perfectly with the music too...and like VB has pointed out, there's nothing like his celebration before even knowing the scores or his placement.. Patrick was just thrilled with what he had done, nothing else mattered.... and from the KnC... when he won, well it was a bonus but I felt like truly that wasn't the most important for him, so I am pleased to see that since that's what he has said all year... coming back to skate... not to win. Gotta stop writing.... need to watch it again :)

andyjo24

Medalist
That FS was just breathtaking! :shocked:

I personally would choose Patrick's FS over Hanyu's sloppy Seimei FS any day.

SGrand

Final Flight
OMG OMG OMG!!!! So freaking amazing!!!! So happy, I had tears once I found out and finally got to watch. [emoji1316][emoji1316][emoji1316][emoji1316][emoji1316]

SGrand

Final Flight

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick's jumps exude both power and grace, not just fast spinning in the air. Flowing out is another quality he has over Jin. As I said, flowing is his foundation and his jumps are based on skating skills and flow. So happy he found the flow I wished for him. I do wish he would reveal how he made friendly resolution with the ice. If he doesn't, I'd just take credit for energetically transforming the ice for him. :biggrin:

As his LP has been all season with progressive technical difficulty, it's quality through and through in every element and every move, no skimming, no cheating. Patrick does not do easy show offs and cheap tricks. No arm flailing for musical interpretation and stopping or slowing down every artistic impression time. It's all integrated, Patrick as one with the music, the ice, the program. And that perfectly timed 3S landing as musical exclamation! :love:

A true champion rises above his nemeses and delivers! Believe it.

eta: Here is a version with the introduction.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
had to plug in my laptop... went through a whole charge watching patrick on repeat lol :) waiting to see how long it will take now until someone says he needs a jumping coach :rofl:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
had to plug in my laptop... went through a whole charge watching patrick on repeat lol :) waiting to see how long it will take now until someone says he needs a jumping coach :rofl:

:laugh:

I just set someone straight who called Kathy his Mother In Law earlier in Men's LP thread. Remember how all the detractors said he chose his coach because of his girlfriend and it would be extremely awkward and difficult if he broke up with the GF or needed to find a new coach?

unico

Final Flight
The LP has been his comfort place all season, yet even though I was expecting him to go clean, that had to be the finest LP of his entire career. Instead of resisting or fighting against the presence of strong rivals, he has soared up to meet the challenge and done so exquisitely. If he can put together his SP from Nationals with a LP like here at 4CC, which was not only more technically difficult than any other performance this year but more in tune with the music, then no height (or medal) is out of his reach.

The final threshold remains: Boston. I can't wait!