Patrick Chan | Page 334 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

Sam L

Medalist
Finlandia Trophy is just round the corner. I'm so excited. :D I'm a bad Patrick fan. I haven't here for a while, what do you guys think about the coaching changes?

Kittysk8s

Rinkside
Originally posted by 4everchan

"which coach wouldn't brag about it if they fixed Patrick's 3A? The point made is not that Mishin's reputation isn't good or well-known...what irked me in the story was that Mishin said "come to me, 3 lessons and it's fixed" I don't doubt Mishin is that good of a coach, and especially with the 3A... (yet Lambiel had major issues with his....) but 3 lessons and it's fixed??? It's sending the awful message that he doesn't respect Patrick's other coaches... that's partially why some of us were a bit turned off by the mesage."

Originally Posted by plushyfan

"LOL! Mishin doesn't need advertising.. He trained his Russian students( Urmanov,Yagudin, Plushenko, Sokolova Tuktamisheva) plus Lambiel, Carlina, Javier, Korpi, Fumie Suguri, etc.."

Maybe Mishin meant that the issue of the 3A for Patrick is so miniscule, that he could fix it in 3 days.....just throwing that out there. Translated interviews can really come off differently that how the speaker meant it to in their mother tongue. I suggest this because altho the 3A is a problem for Chiddy sometimes, it isn't all the time. He lands lots of beautiful 3A. I once heard Kurt Browning discuss Patrick's axel and he mentioned the "skid" or lack thereof before the jump possibly being an issue. Does anyone recall that comment?

Last edited:

blueberryhill

On the Ice
I've been wanting to do this photochan for awhile. Finally had the chance to sacrifice sleep and create it tonight!

https://twitter.com/PCSkatingFan/status/781028961144934401

You see, Night Chiddy has always been radioactive, so naturally he and Spiderman are pals. :cool:
Nice photochan! Can't wait to see Patrick use his spidey senses to land ALL his jumps his year! :)

eta: I'm not very good with puns; there are many here who are but I'll try one - Vivley, you should entitle your Photochan "Spiderman and SpiderCHAN"! Ok, I'll quit now! :)

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I once heard Kurt Browning discuss Patrick's axel and he mentioned the "skid" or lack thereof before the jump possibly being an issue. Does anyone recall that comment?

Kurt has said various things about Patrick's 3A but we are not skating jump coaches to diagnose technical issues with Patrick's jumps based on Kurt's or others' comments. If it's something Kurt's words can easily fix, I'm sure it would have been done. There are qualified observers out there and Patrick chooses who to consult and Mishin is probably not one he has preferred for his own reasons. We know it's not any serious fundamental problem with his 3A technique and I've oft suggested it's a mental issue causing the inconsistency so it's about small technical tweaking that would take him closer to perfection, as well as confidence and consistency. He has sounded confident about his 3A and has demonstrated consistency since last season, except under extraordinary extrinsic influences. I expect he will put the exaggerated "3A problems" to rest.

TGee

Record Breaker
I once heard Kurt Browning discuss Patrick's axel and he mentioned the "skid" or lack thereof before the jump possibly being an issue. Does anyone recall that comment?

While acknowledging Violet Bliss' concern that we're not jump coaches, I do feel that it's worthwhile to try to understand what's going on....

I recall the same comment....but it was in regard to Kevin Reynolds challenges on the 3A.

The comment was a general one that Kurt's experience was that he personally had more consistent results on that jump with a skid at take off, and that he saw that the men with the cleanest edges and most "pure" technique were the ones who seemed to be finding the jump a challenge. But if this is his general view, it may be one that he's woven into his commentary more than once.

By the way, I recall, somewhat OT, that Kevin Reynolds spent some time on the 3A with Elvis Stokjo when Kevin was in Ontario last year. Stokjo says that while he doesn't was to return to full time coaching, he will provide short term specialized advice and seminars. So if Patrick and Zouveva think it would be of help, there is a known Skate Canada resource now available close by.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Patrick knows Kurt, Kevin, and Elvis personally and closely, the former two for around two decades, as well as all the known great 3A jumpers he has competed with. It's his choice who to consult or observe. He has a beautiful 3A except for occasional slip ups which get blown out of proportion because there isn't anything else people can really pick on. The more they made it out to be his nemesis, the more his trepidation when he approached the jump, thus the consistency issue. He is not anybody else with 3A problems nor is he exactly like any of the great 3A jumpers physically. Patterning himself after somebody else exactly is not the answer. (By now his various skills and techniques should be incorporated into Dartfish for for other to study and emulate.) His 3A was reconstructed with Johnson with results he is happy with, and he's got further custom tweaking with Epstein, adding to his confidence. It's not time to start anew with this jump, not when he has overcome the confidence issue. He doesn't need all kinds of advice on the jump technique or on where to get advice.

All he needs is to stay happy, healthy and focused. He knows how to train. He is not so super successful without good reasons and factors beyond most people's awareness.

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
vivley thanks for sharing that post! :thank:

I think if Patrick wanted he could likely consult with anyone in the Skate Canada coaches' system. Even Orser. But he has to want it. Right now, it seems Oleg Epstein's tips have boosted his confidence and success rate with the 3A (according to those HPC interviews).

I'm more interested in that quad Salchow. A new challenge on the horizon to look forward to.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
vivley thanks for sharing that post! :thank:

I think if Patrick wanted he could likely consult with anyone in the Skate Canada coaches' system. Even Orser. But he has to want it. Right now, it seems Oleg Epstein's tips have boosted his confidence and success rate with the 3A (according to those HPC interviews).

I'm more interested in that quad Salchow. A new challenge on the horizon to look forward to.

Yes, I too am extremely interested to see his 4S. I think it's not a difficult element for him and he likely already has great success with it in practice. It's a matter of having it incorporated into his program beautifully and successfully. Just about all skaters have problems debuting any new quad in competition. I hope Patrick, with his 4T experience, will have a successful 4S debut. I have confidence in seeing a flawless LP with 4T, 4S, and 3A from Patrick this season.

calica

Final Flight
I believe in the success of the 4S of Chan, what worries me most is that the rest of men increase the number of quads (lutz, flip ect) and I do not know if Patrick can incorporate more quads for the Olympic season.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Violet Bliss I hope you are right. Maybe we'll see another breathtaking performance at 4CC in the Olympic rink. Wouldn't that be a sight to see.

calica I believe if he isn't practicing new quads then we won't see anything new from him next season. Though if he listens to 4everchan we might get another new quad. :biggrin: His hope right now has to be to increase his technical difficulty a bit, go clean, and see what the rest of the field does. We are seeing a plethora of new quads without guarantees everyone can perform them successfully. There's always a chance for someone who goes clean with less technical difficulty to have a shot for a podium finish if those with higher base values don't perform well.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I believe in the success of the 4S of Chan, what worries me most is that the rest of men increase the number of quads (lutz, flip ect) and I do not know if Patrick can incorporate more quads for the Olympic season.

Patrick will not sacrifice his programs for TES. I believe his limit is 3 quads in a LP. With him, it's much about quality, holistically as well as for each element. Quads without high PCS will not win and the other complete skaters rarely have all successful jumps in a program. If Patrick is flawless technically or nearly so while skating a beautiful program with his superb SS and musical interpretation, he will put pressure on the competitors. I have high expectation for his results but I'll be happy with whatever success he achieves.

Stay happy, healthy and focused, Patrick. Enjoy the process and accept the outcome.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
as I always say : focus on the process ;) not the results!!!!!

Regarding the quad Salchow.... we will find out in a week how it looks like ;)

Regarding the quad race.... I am less concerned about the LP than the SP.... in the LP, if Patrick simply added one quad to what he already has, he'd be in the game. (he needs to keep two 3As though....) In the SP though, he really would benefit from putting two quads in there.... I don't think he will just yet though.

I suggested he should try the 4F... simply because his 3F looks effortless and is the most beautiful jump ever ;) IMHO Patrick is stronger with toe-pick jumps than with edge jumps... so that's why Mango says 'if Patrick listens to 4everchan" hehehe

But seriously, I don't care about his quads... I want him to be happy and for that, there will be only one way : if he skates clean with extreme quality. It may not get him gold, but it's okay. He will always be the best skater ever to me, for being the first real skater to combine all aspects of skating : content and quality with expression.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Initially, Patrick was expected to have a 4F soon after the 4T because his 3F was so beautiful and seemingly easy for him. Then 4S just happened. Then he decided to focus on the artistry, with great success. Others started doing more and more quads, with the emergence of the young jumping phenoms during his year off. Now he is taking that 4S out of his pocket and putting it in the program. Who knows, maybe the 4F next year? But if he limits his quads to 3 in the LP then is the variety that important competitively? If he does his 3 quads, two types or 3, with good quality, and maybe 2 quads in the SP, he will be extremely competitive.

Stay happy, healthy, and focused, Patrick. Enjoy the process and good things happen.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
3 means only 2 types... there is no point advantage much to have 3 different quads in the LP....

Right now Patrick says 3 in the LP... however, I think this could easily change.... If the 4S is super stable, I can easily imagine him removing a 3A to do 4 quads...

I would laugh hysterically if he repeated both quads and only used one 3A.... Of course, people would say that he does that because he is not good with the 3A... ;) instead on realizing that he does it because he is so good with his quads ;) and then I would laugh even more....

Initially, Patrick was expected to have a 4F soon after the 4T because his 3F was so beautiful and seemingly easy for him. Then 4S just happened. Then he decided to focus on the artistry, with great success. Others started doing more and more quads, with the emergence of the young jumping phenoms during his year off. Now he is taking that 4S out of his pocket and putting it in the program. Who knows, maybe the 4F next year? But if he limits his quads to 3 in the LP then is the variety that important competitively? If he does his 3 quads, two types or 3, with good quality, and maybe 2 quads in the SP, he will be extremely competitive.

Stay happy, healthy, and focused, Patrick. Enjoy the process and good things happen.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Kittysk8s yay!! thanks for joining us!!! told ya we are a bunch of :hb:

Some of us are more :whack: than others, :biggrin: but we :love: and support Patrick in this fest :hb:. We celebrate :cheer: him with love, joy and as much fun as we can get. Doesn't mean we're not :cool2: and :think: though. :)

TGee

Record Breaker
I think if Patrick wanted he could likely consult with anyone in the Skate Canada coaches' system. Even Orser. But he has to want it. Right now, it seems Oleg Epstein's tips have boosted his confidence and success rate with the 3A (according to those HPC interviews

Totally agree. And acknowledge Violet Bliss' point that taking a jump apart is always a calculated risk that the skater and team need to decide is warranted.

Was trying to be subtle in saying that, if Patrick and Marina Zoueva feel that an outside resource could be of benefit -- for whatever -- there are extraordinary resources close by, who wouldn't seek an ongoing role. No need for long distance volunteers.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
3 means only 2 types... there is no point advantage much to have 3 different quads in the LP....

Right now Patrick says 3 in the LP... however, I think this could easily change.... If the 4S is super stable, I can easily imagine him removing a 3A to do 4 quads...

I would laugh hysterically if he repeated both quads and only used one 3A.... Of course, people would say that he does that because he is not good with the 3A... ;) instead on realizing that he does it because he is so good with his quads ;) and then I would laugh even more....

If Patrick walked on water, some would mock him and say, "He can't even swim."

Go ahead and walk, skate, jump, spin and dance on water, Patrick.