Patrick Chan | Page 57 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
With two pushes he reaches the end of the rink. Thats why he is often so close to the boards and gives us all a heart attack.

Patrice has a lot of power when he skates. It is reminiscent of Brian Boitano. It's almost like he combines the best of Boitano and Orser-- the power, the artistry. The only thing he is missing, to me, is the majesty of Brian Boitano. Otherwise, wow...

emdee

Final Flight
He is still quite young so the majesty will come. He is growing into his skating and developing a large body of work.

emdee

Final Flight
SF,
I was just watching his 2008 Canadians and in his FS he almost hit the boards by the judges.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Au contraire, I think Patrick is the most majestic skater. Nobody can skate his finishing step sequence of POTO or Aranjuez. He may not be as dancy as Takahashi or emotive as Lambiel, but nobody can do grandeur and sublime like His Majesty King Patrick. :bow:

He is often too grand for the boards. He needs a bigger dominion. :biggrin:

eta: 17 year old Prince Patrick breaking out and taking down boundary.

etaa: Back when he was 16. His 3A and musicality were already recognized.

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Elegy was very nice. We get to see his glide and don't worry if he will fall. I loved his POTO. Never get tired of that music, as do some. Hey SF!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Hey, skateluvr. This is truly a fest thread. We celebrate Patrick and have fun here. The motto is - Don't Worry. Be happy.

Be happy Patrick fans. :yay:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I would love to see him interpret Saint Saens ' Organ Concerto, or Dvorak's Cello Concerto.

I wonder how music from Baroque era would suit him. Like Four Seasons or any other Bach. I think with his musicality, he may be able to top Stephan's four seasons!

emdee

Final Flight
Boeing,
I remember the day when he shone at the Canadians so so well. he was amazing in the short and came second and then in the long he just blew our minds away. I had never really seen him at the junior level upto that point.

I recall he had already won TEB with it? Maybe also came second at the USGP? Not 100% sure of the years.

It was sad that he didnt do so well at his first worlds - the only worlds where he did not medal. But we Canadians had a bonus that year with Buttle winning, Joannie second, V&M second and Dube & D third. I was really sad to miss the worlds that year as we were touring in China. However with time differences we were awake at 3 am and the worlds was showing so we were able to catch Buttle's winning skate.

Boeing787

On the Ice
Boeing,
I remember the day when he shone at the Canadians so so well. he was amazing in the short and came second and then in the long he just blew our minds away. I had never really seen him at the junior level upto that point.

I recall he had already won TEB with it? Maybe also came second at the USGP? Not 100% sure of the years.

It was sad that he didnt do so well at his first worlds - the only worlds where he did not medal. But we Canadians had a bonus that year with Buttle winning, Joannie second, V&M second and Dube & D third. I was really sad to miss the worlds that year as we were touring in China. However with time differences we were awake at 3 am and the worlds was showing so we were able to catch Buttle's winning skate.

Yes, with this program he won a bronze in SA and gold in TEB. His performance at worlds wasn't bad at all but the Judges didn't give him the PCS he deserved because he was a new comer. Aslo, he did an extra jump in LP and lost some points unnecessarily.

emdee

Final Flight
I remember the next year when he was shortchanged on the SP at world.

I have been enjoying past skates while we are awaiting the new season.

Actually it's this Four Seasons that made him the skating King of Canada. And it did top Lambiel's same-title program in terms of COP in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d9LSJIzuQU

Whoa!! He was so young :D He does bring something onto the ice in this performance but for me who's been so happy with his matured presentation and skating skills, that was quite refreshingly surprising. Really shows that he's improved a lot, I mean, tremendously. For a young skater, that is a top-notch performance though.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Speaking of young, here is a sweet fanclip sent to me by a lurking Patrick fan, of Baby Patrick and his granddaddy coach Colson, by one of his Japanese fans hibadairock on the Tanabata Day:

When You Wish Upon A Star ☆ Patrick Chan

I think it would have been even nicer to end the clip with Patrick sending a kiss skyward at the end of his Nice Worlds competition on the day of Colson's birthday.

emdee

Final Flight
This fan has some lovely montages. There is one to Hallelujah which I adore especially since I also adore V&M's Hallelujah.
Spiky has comments on several of the You tube videos as well.

To hibadairock : If you are out there come join us. We promise to help you with your english.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Yes, with this program he won a bronze in SA and gold in TEB. His performance at worlds wasn't bad at all but the Judges didn't give him the PCS he deserved because he was a new comer. Aslo, he did an extra jump in LP and lost some points unnecessarily.

It really bothers me when someone says something like this because it's not true. Newcomers don't get the PCS because they don't have the speed and flow over the ice that more mature competitors have. They didn't give him the PCS for it because Patrick had not yet learned to command the ice.

I remember clearly seeing him at Skate Canada the following year and thinking WHOA! that's new. Suddenly he was bombing around the ice with speed, power and command. I knew the moment I saw him doing that this his PCS was going to go through the roof and stay there and people would immediately say he was over-marked.