Evgeni Plushenko | Page 64 | Golden Skate

Evgeni Plushenko

Meoima

Match Penalty
If only my Japanese were enough to translate what the Japanese commentators were talking about Plushy's Moonlight sonata. :bang:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
They said his 4T-3T was beautiful. And... that's as far as my Japanese takes me. :laugh: (They seemed to be very impressed with the performance at the end, but I got that from tone rather than any Japanese skills).

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I wonder, if we took a survey about "best versions of each program," how much would we agree? For instance, I consider 04-05 GPF Godfather the best version by a mile, but seems like some people prefer 2006 Europeans. (I feel like making a huge list about this, but I'm probably the only one interested in debating it).

I would say the GPF was the most perfectly executed, but at the 2006 Euros he was sick with a fever, so I admire him for going out there and fighting for it in that condition. Then of course I love the Olympics performance, despite the minor jump issue and thinking perhaps it was a little perfunctory, because it earned him his only OGM. I'm not so good at picking favorites. :eek:hwell:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Bahahaha, Evgeni Plushenko, winning gold medals and trolling judges everywhere!

While Godfather might not be his best program in terms of emotion and detail, and he wasn't as strong jumps-wise as he was a year earlier, there are two aspects I really like about the program: 1) interesting upright spin positions--if there's one thing I wish Plush had done more when he was younger, it was more unique spin positions instead of just Biellmann/donut-spamming (I love those spins, but it would've been interesting to see him do, say, a layback). 2) The step sequences. Just looks so difficult and impressive. Makes me a bit tired just looking at it--how on earth did he skate that while injured/sick? Also, loved how he tacked either a double axel or a flying spin on the end of it.

My program rankings:
Moonlight Sonata: 1. GPF 04-05 2. Nationals 05 3. Europeans 05
Godfather: 1. GPF 04-05 2. Marshalls? 3. Europeans 05 (06 version was a heroic effort, considering he was sick, but I prefer the energy of this performance. His expression in the end scares me though.)
St. Petersburg 300: 1. GPF 02-03 2. Worlds 03 3. Crest Whitestrips competition?!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
We were talking about Plushy's costumes. I remembered Evgeni Plushenko "all his costumes 1996-2010 "montage video was on Youtube but some month ago it was deleted. I asked my friends and one of them uploaded again..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u77qtX-jF-A

My programs rankings:
Moonlight Sonata. 1. GPF 2. Europeans 3. Nationals
Godfather: 1.GPF 04-05 2. Europeans 05 3. Marshalls
St. Peterburg 300: 1. GPF 02-03 2. Europeans 03 3. Worlds

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
^^^ She did a great job!

Would you happen to know which performances are at 1:08 (dark velvet outfit and he is wearing a headband) and 2:38 (a poufy shirt with one black sleeve and one white)? I haven't seen those before.

I wish I could find a good quality video of him skating to The Logical Song. I can only find this one from Art on Ice and it's not great.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Thank you Sandpiper and Plushyfan...I really love the Enigma program even with the falls, and it's so interesting to see his early version of the Swan. That blouse was not a good look, though.

Every skater has some costumes that are a little :disapp:, but I'd say that overall in his long career, Plushy has had a pretty good record of hits vs. misses.

Those creepy face masks...I saw Daisuke, Stephane and Maxim wearing them on Instagram a few weeks ago. I don't think I like this trend...

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
The Enigma program is... strange (even outside the random fall). I maintain that it took until Dark Eyes at 1999 NHK Trophy for him to grow into the Plushy we know and love. Lol, I didn't know he competed in the senior GPF already that season. I assume he and Yagudin didn't skate well since they were both off the podium.

Every skater has some costumes that are a little :disapp:, but I'd say that overall in his long career, Plushy has had a pretty good record of hits vs. misses.
Yep, Plushy has remained relatively bad-costume-free. He seemed to get all the bad costumes out of his system in his first few years as a senior. I do kinda miss his flashy outfits from the earlier years though... If he returns to competition, I hope he wears something more interesting than Sheer Black Blouse #3. :laugh:

Those creepy face masks...I saw Daisuke, Stephane and Maxim wearing them on Instagram a few weeks ago. I don't think I like this trend...
Some kind of witchcraft going on behind the scenes?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
He seems to have gotten used to the rink this time. :yes: No crashing at the edge on the combination.

Blah, there are glimpses of Plushy in the opening and closing, but no side-by-side triples or spread-eagles with Yuzu. :eek:hwell: Did they not do them this show, or was it not shown on the broadcast?

Meoima

Match Penalty
He seems to have gotten used to the rink this time. :yes: No crashing at the edge on the combination.

Blah, there are glimpses of Plushy in the opening and closing, but no side-by-side triples or spread-eagles with Yuzu. :eek:hwell: Did they not do them this show, or was it not shown on the broadcast?
I think the set up didn't have any scene for them for side by side jump. It's the director's intent anyway.

Yuzuru looked exhausted, though. :cry: anyways it seem Plushy has come back to Russia today.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20140630/755309769.html

Alexei Mishin: Plushenko will miss the main events in the season 2014/15
..... Plushenko at the 2014 Olympic Games in Sochi won the team competition. Withdrawing due to trauma from single competition, he announced his retirement, but later expressed his intention to continue to perform. After the Olympics, the athlete underwent another operation on his back. In late May Plushenko has Resumed training, in June he Performed at A Shows in Japan. "I Passed to the Federation Plans of my training Athletes of the Group. Plushenko Will Participate in the Activities of the National Team: Camps, skating control. Perhaps he will participate in some competitions, such as is the "Panin Memorial", for example. But the main starts of the season - a series of Grand Prix, championships of Russia, Europe and the World next season - he will miss "- said mishin on the phone. "Plushenko's the main task for the next season is to Recover and Build up strength for further performances. This Strategy has Been Adopted not Only by HIM. Season Will Also missed Patrick Chan, Daisuke Takahashi, Mao Asada. Our Goal - to eat rather big tart today, but large cake - tomorrow. "

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
So it's confirmed. No CoR, Nationals, Europeans, Worlds...

Why consider "Panin Memorial" though? Does he need it to obtain minimum TES for the coming seasons? (How long do minimum TES scores last?) Or maybe he just wants to compete, even if it's in a b-level competition. :biggrin:

This Strategy has Been Adopted not Only by HIM. Season Will Also missed Patrick Chan, Daisuke Takahashi, Mao Asada.
The world will explode if all of them don't return while Plushy does. :laugh: (I fully expect Mao to be back though. She's a fighter, and if her body holds up for a third Olympics, she'll be there).

Our Goal - to eat rather big tart today, but large cake - tomorrow.
Mishin has the best metaphors. :clap:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
As I understand it, his scores from 2013-14 would qualify him for the next season only. I hope someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

He had to get special permission from the ISU to compete at the 2012 Euros because he had been out too long. But I don't think that necessarily means they would do that for him again.

I think the Panin Memorial is held in St. Petersburg, so it would be too much temptation for him to stay away, lol.