Figure Skating Channel | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Channel

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
It's been awhile since there's been any news (that I know of anyway) about the "Skating Channel". Has anybody heard yet if this is a go? 42

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
According to IFS magazine the Ice Channel is now targeting a launch in the 2004-2005 season.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Thanks dlk.......how did I miss that? I usually read IFS cover to cover........42

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Show- it was in the back under business news-update. It also said that they are making progress with funding. So it looks like they are still looking for enough financial backing.

polo player

Spectator
Hope this happens - how great would that be to see all of the great skating from previous decades, and endless fluff pieces, which I love. Not sure if they will get to program events as they happen or immediately after, since ABC has the contract for awhile.

windspirit

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Yeah - I'll believe it when I see it.
My thoughts exactly. I guess, I've become a little skeptic, after they didn't launch last fall, like they said they would...

Ice Princess

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I couldn't believe when I heard about it! I sure hope it happens! I would be in absolute Heaven!! :love:

Whoever designed that Web Page should be fired:eek:

A godawful mix of bad colors put me right off from even attempting to click on anything.

Was there any news in the web site?

Joe

kosjenka

On the Ice
It is not possible to have this channel in Europe, isn t it?

Because it would be too good to be truth.

dunja:cry:

Spirit

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Whoever designed that Web Page should be fired:eek:

A godawful mix of bad colors put me right off from even attempting to click on anything.

Was there any news in the web site?

Well, let's see...

Dark blue and [COLOR=royal blue]light blue[/COLOR],
black,
[COLOR=sky blue]even lighter blue[/COLOR] and bright sun yellow,
[COLOR=dark red]deep maroon[/COLOR] and shocking pink,
more black,
lime green and orange,
yet another dark shade of blue, and purple.

I don't know what you're talking about! ;)

As for news, it's mostly quotations of support from media outlets and pleas for people to call their local cable company and make some noise.

At the very bottom of the page (in the last bit of dark blue) you can click on a link to subscribe to a magazine called Ice Skating Magazine. It's apparently published by The Ice Channel, unless that's just a poorly designed and poorly placed paid advertisement.

http://www.skatinginc.com/Magazine/

That's about it, I think. It's nice that they're trying to create an Ice Channel, and it'll probably happen eventually.

Antilles

Medalist
I'd avoid the magazine. I picked one up off the shelf once, and liked it. I tired to subscribe, and they charged my credit card in August, and I have yet to see a magazine. I've been bugging them to get my money back. The new issue they have listed on thier site has been there since September. it seems the magazine is just as much a farce as the channel.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it's run by skatinginc.com which is the same site that runs Yags' official site as well as Nikodinov's and a lot of others, they also run skating magazine... one of the founders, for some reason, has kinda gone on internet hiatus, and a hacker attacked the server over the summer... they took on way more than they can chew. skatinginc had a lot of potential, but they took on too much too fast... IMHO

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I subscribed to it and it isn't bad. I like IFS better. I have received 2 issues. It seemed a really long time since I received one and called them and were very nice. For some reason, I didn't get the last issue and they said they are sending me another. We'll see what happens. The next issue is to come out around the first of Feb.

Jhar55

Medalist
Even if they ever do get the skating channel up and running it will probably have to have digital cable or satalite which I don't have either one. digital is too high and I live in an apartment that won't allow satalite dishes.

lulu

Final Flight
If the channel ever does take off, will they move skating competitions, like fluffs(eg-Campbells) or even GP events, or other skating shows to the Ice Channel, and not show them on ESPN or the Networks?

I like the idea of a 24 hour ice skating station:love: , but since I doubt it would be added to my cable package, I would hate to not see competitions I would normally see on cable or network TV.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Of course, a lot of the skating shows we see now have contracts so they couldn't move them until their contracts run out. I am pretty sure the Olympics already have a contract.

It would be nice if they had a Pay-Per-View of the Worlds. think of the money I could save by just paying for the View.

Joe