Jason Brown | Page 204 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I can't make out what all of them say. I can pick which one is the Olympic team banner, but what are the other three? National Champion, I assume, then perhaps World Team, Four Continents Team?

The one on the left seems to have another name on it. Jordan's, I think??? Cool :cool: for both guys.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Listening to the clip...that kind of would have been a good time to actually get the USFS' feedback. Bring them in and say, which is better. My guess is that they would have chosen the dark grey pants.

I can't agree with Kori when she says "who cares if a few people didn't like the pants" because that's a major misread of the situation. The people who actually DID like the pants were a very tiny minority. At some point, I think Rohene was probably "too close" to the project to see that instead of looking "authentic", Jason looked like he'd just walked out of the costume section of a dollar shop.

I keep going back to that picture of the US men's podium, and Joshua, Adam and Max all costumed so elegantly, with very much a less-is-more theme, costumes that accentuated their lines and didn't detract from their skating. And then there's Jason...

I'm sorry if people feel I'm fixated on this issue, but it's part of a broader problem with Jason's packaging. The Juke costume was another example (and that's not touching the program itself).

There is a lot of things at play. Kori may be the head honcho at 7k, but she also knows when to choose her battles. That was clear from her response. She wasn't going to get into a big contentious discussion with Rohene about the outfit early in the season, especially when she has other fish to fry. Namely, that Jason clearly had a bit of a hangover from the long Olympic season and that he was having technical issues.

And while a majority of fans hated/disliked it greatly, it wasn't clear to me how much the packaging/costume hurt Jason's scoring/impact on judges, at least early on. I mean if Josh, Max and Adam had better costumes, was that reflected in better scores, especially at nationals?

i think post-nationals and post-4CC, once she had a better sense of where Jason was technically/choreography wise (and got that whole attempting the quad thing off his back), she decided to take the opportunity to bridge the costume thing because she felt that 1.) She had honored Rohene's intention fully and 2.) She was at a point where she wanted to squeeze every opportunity to improve his scores.

USFS feedback is unnecessary on this issue cause 1.) Kori knew the outfit didn't quite work, she doesn't need TPTB to tell her that. 2.) That sic-ing the officials is a great way to alienate your main choreographer/assistant coach and 3.) I don't see Rohene the type to change because USFS said so.

I think Kori had the right attitude and approach.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I am loving Rohene's delight in giving Jason torturous step sequences. :laugh:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

I am assuming that the gap in the middle is where it is going to be. I just love how into everything Rohene is. One part cheerleader one part task manager and all fabulous.

So did it look to anyone else like we may be getting the 3F+3T almost at the end there just before the last spin? Gutsy. It could also be in "the gap" of mystery. I am wondering if he will stick with the flip or up it to a lutz. I kinda think they will keep the flip as he has that one so nailed most of the time.

Edit

So assuming his jumps will be a 4S 3A (I am not leaning more to first half) and second half 3F+3T. That works out to

10.5 vs 6.6 for his solo jump - an increase of 3.9
10.34 vs 9.4 for his combination - an increase of .94
Total increase of 4.84

His PB for TES is 45.98 (2013 Eric Bompard)
His TES for his total PB/most recent is 43.87 (of 86.48 at WTT).

That works out to a 50.82/48.68 TES depending on which one you want to use (TEB or WTT).

His PB (both total and stand alone) and most recent for PCS is 42.61.

So that gives us a 93.43/91.23 (again depending on your preferred starting point) without any estimated increase in PCS due to increased difficulty.

I am eager for more.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Okay...

...NOW I like it more.

;)

I'll still reserve judgement until he brings it out at Broadmoor (I'm going to assume that's where he'll compete, he has done for the last couple of years and he's entered in the jumps contest again). I want to see how the whole thing strings together.

Certainly a much better jazz set up for him than Juke.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Okay...

...NOW I like it more.

;)

I'll still reserve judgement until he brings it out at Broadmoor (I'm going to assume that's where he'll compete, he has done for the last couple of years and he's entered in the jumps contest again). I want to see how the whole thing strings together.

Glad it passes! I was more impressed with the second half. I am really looking forward to seeing this one evolve. I wish they would announce when the short and long programs are going to be.

Scovies

Final Flight

:laugh:

For all the criticism that Juke took (I liked the program but not the presentation; I would have preferred a cooler, more Rat Pack-y approach to it), one thing you couldn't deny was how difficult it was, and judges rewarded him for it accordingly. Even if they didn't personally like it, you couldn't deny the obvious work that had been put into it, nor the nuance or the difficulty of the steps. But holy crap, this new SP looks absolutely insane. That program just looks hard (but not needlessly so; the musicality is spot-on), and I'm amazed he's doing that step sequence so well when it's so new to him. Once he's got some mileage under his belt, I'm hoping we'll see that "effortlessly doing impossible, entertaining step sequences" quality that Daisuke Takahashi had with his mambo and rock-and-roll SPs. Awesome.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
https://instagram.com/p/3aD7hsTXI9/?taken-by=jasonbskates

Fun photo of Jason making Okonomiyaki ( a type of Japanese pancake) with Japanese skater Miyu Nakashio and her friend Kiki (not sure if she's a skater also)

Nakashio won JGP Estonia last season. She has the cutest K&C moment ever!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FySPDMDwHHM

She must be doing some training with Team KoRo...there's a photo of her at the Monument rink wearing Luke West's Team USA jacket.

RE: Broadmoor schedule. I wonder if Jason will end up doing the SP only. Cause the SP for the combined event is RIGHT before the Aerial jumping challenge. That seems a lot to do back to back. But who knows.

TMC

Record Breaker
Okay...

...NOW I like it more.

;)

I was just about to quote your earlier post and say that I was not sold on it either...yet. Then I saw this. Happy to be able to quote this one instead and say

OH YEAH

Looks riDIculously difficult yet smooth and I LOVE it right now!

I only hope that since the program is so FULL that they go in the other direction with the packaging. Less bling and more smoothness; the movement does not need to be enhanced with glitter, it's shining already :party2:

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What I've always loved about Jason, and why I scoff at the people whining "but no quad!", is that his difficulty is actually insanely high. Sure, if you compare purely the jumps to someone like Max, Jason is underpowered. But - at least until now - take the jumps away, and who comes out on top? Jason does, every time. Even Joshua's delicately-woven programs look almost empty next to some of Jason's. He never stops moving, never stops skating, never stops with the program, and every year they push him further and further.

Even Juke, much as I hated it, was structured well and the difficulty always executed with flawlessness.

I am certainly close to being won over by this program now. Though alas, I have a sinking feeling it'll have a costume worth complaining about...

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Though alas, I have a sinking feeling it'll have a costume worth complaining about...

Well, you can't have everything, lol.

. He never stops moving, never stops skating, never stops with the program, and every year they push him further and further.
Yes, I am impressed with how Jason seems to rise to the challenge of Rohene's choreography and gives 110% of his energy.

The strategy of adding so much content and transitions in the choreography has clearly worked for Jason without the Q word. I'll be even more impressed when Jason is able to succesfully land his quad and do the rest of the program. Commentators have said he could be unbeatable if that happens.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I get a Charleston, almost a '20's Big Band, feel more than a Jazz vibe in this program.

I like the bones of this quite a lot, in contrast to Juke, which I hated on first view and never warmed to.

They could "class this up" and differentiate it from Juke with a costume of vintage white ties and tails.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

This!!

At least Jason went all Top Gun and buzzed the tower :biggrin:

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...76_10204440491988556_214708422257993588_o.jpg

We all know coaches break the rules and take coffee on the ice so it is quite plausible to imagine Rohene spilling all over himself when Jason buzzed passed him with this split jump. :laugh:

This is very difficult footwork and what transitions I saw looked very intense. I bet his PCS will increase.

Last edited: