Lysacek, Shibutani and Shibutani Withdraw from 2013 U.S. International Classic | Golden Skate

Lysacek, Shibutani and Shibutani Withdraw from 2013 U.S. International Classic

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lysacek, Shibutani and Shibutani Withdraw from 2013 U.S. International Classic

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Colorado Springs, Colo. (Sept. 9, 2013) – Evan Lysacek, the reigning Olympic champion, announced today that he has withdrawn due to injury from the 2013 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic. Maia Shibutani and Alex Shibutani, the reigning U.S. ice dance bronze medalists, have also withdrawn due to injury. The U.S. International Classic will take place Sept. 11-15, in Salt Lake City.

Lysacek, 28, is expected to make a full recovery from a slight abdominal tear.

Alex Shibutani, 22, tweaked his neck in practice and, after consulting doctors, decided to withdraw to allow healing and prevent further aggravating the area.

“We are disappointed that we will not be able to compete in Salt Lake City, especially after a terrific spring and summer of training, but we are focused on being 100 percent for the rest of the season,” Shibutani and Shibutani said.

Grant Hochstein (men’s) and Alissandra Aronow and Collin Brubaker (ice dance) have accepted invitations to the U.S. International Classic.

The U.S. International Classic is an ISU-points earning senior competition. It will feature more than 70 athletes representing nearly 20 countries, including two-time World ice dance champions Meryl Davis and Charlie White and U.S. men’s champion Max Aaron.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Its such a shame that they are unable to compete. Get well fast- skate america is coming up

Oh, dear. I really, really wanted to see what Evan could do at some point before, say, Nationals.

lcd

Match Penalty
Best wishes to Evan and Alex for a speedy and complete recovery. Hoping to see them be able to give it their best when the Grand Prix season gets underway.

Also wishing all of those athletes who are out there battling injuries and gritting their way through recoveries, to not lose heart. We fans support your heart and effort, especially at this time of year when the season is getting underway.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
tippi 1963? tippi hedren of " the bird's" fame? Melanie's mom, animal activist?

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Not surprised about Evan. After that interview Frank gave around Champs Camp I could tell they were setting the stage for a withdrawal. If he can't make it to the GP I will have to agree with KwanIs and Nadia...

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Evan needs to call it a day. Despite not even competing for over 3 years now he seems to always be hurt. He's not 20 anymore and his body can't handle the pounding. I don't see how he could do quads now with his constant injuries and without a quad he's not a contender anyways.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Despite not even competing for over 3 years now he seems to always be hurt.

That's a good point. There is obviously something majorly wrong in Evan's training regime that he is always injured even when not competing.

Anyway, let's be honest, no-one was really surprised that it was Evan who pulled out from the men. Carroll was preparing that ground for quite a while. Hope he heals up better this time.

Hope the Shibutanis get well soon too.

Now, to vent my anger at TSL...