Shibutanis to sit out 2018-19 Season | Golden Skate

Shibutanis to sit out 2018-19 Season

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Press Release:

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (April 12, 2018)
– Olympic ice dance bronze medalists Maia Shibutani and Alex Shibutani announced today that they will not compete during the 2018-19 figure skating season. Although they are not competing this season, they are not ruling out future competitions.

"Our experience at the Olympic Games was the result of four years of relentless training and dedication,” Maia said. "While we are still young and love competing and performing, we have exciting projects that we have the opportunity to work on both together and individually.”

“We are currently touring with Stars on Ice and have plans to skate, train, and create new programs for shows we will be skating in throughout the year,” Alex said. “The support we have received from everyone around the world has been amazing and we are so grateful. We are incredibly excited about our new projects and opportunities and look forward to sharing them with everyone soon.”

The Shibutanis, who train in Canton, Michigan, with Marina Zoueva, Massimo Scali, Johnny Johns, and Oleg Epstein, began their partnership 14 years ago. Together they have won two U.S. titles (2016-17), three World medals (bronze in 2013 and ’17, silver in 2016), and have stood on the podium through various levels at the last 14 consecutive U.S. Championships. They capped off their 2017-18 campaign with a bronze medal at the 2018 Olympic Winter Games, becoming the first ice dancers of Asian descent and the first team of American siblings to win an Olympic ice dance medal. They also won a bronze medal in the Olympic Figure Skating Team Event alongside six of their teammates.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I just read this in their FF thread. Best of Luck to the Shibs, you will be missed!

Barb

Record Breaker
I try to be optimistic and I hope that they return to the competitions, they are my main reason for watching figure skating, but realistically this will be very difficult, once they live the freedom it will be very difficult that they want to return to that life of so many sacrifices where in my opinion they have always had to give more than usual because of different circumstances.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
They’ve worked hard for two Olympic cycles to get to where they are today. Good for them. :yes: I hope they enjoy their hiatus.

ssminnow

Rinkside
Unsurprising. They worked so hard to be probably the most technically sound team in the world, but judges clearly prefer sexual tension instead of what a brother-sister pair can create on ice.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
After Michelle Kwan stopped competing, I hadn't always been following skating as closely as I have this Olympic cycle. However, since 2009, I consistently followed the Shibs after seeing and falling in love with their 2009 Junior Worlds FD. I had a suspicion we were in for some big things from them because I just felt it with them and they were obviously so polished and proficient at their young age. Following their career so far has been incredibly rewarding in ways I would have never predicted or suspected, and I am happy I was able to watch them and enjoy that wild ride. I can't wait to see what their year off brings them and whether or not they continue competing, I am grateful for them for bringing me back to figure skating.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Unsurprising. They worked so hard to be probably the most technically sound team in the world, but judges clearly prefer sexual tension instead of what a brother-sister pair can create on ice.

It's not like Gabriella and Guillaume rely on sexual tension in their programs, and the judges love what they do.

evasorange

Final Flight
Wow Zach Donohue’s sigh of relief could probably be heard around the world😂

But seriously I’ll miss them. I hope they don’t retire! I’m not an expert on ice dance by any means but it seems to me like they were judged on a bit more harsher scale then the other top teams..I always thought they had somewhat more creative programs then other top teams since they couldn’t rely on the “romantic” angle so much.

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight

They achieved loads through their hard work, and Olympic bronze is a great reward. To be honest I don't really see them ever getting an OGM so maybe a good place to pause and expand their horisons.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Press Release:

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (April 12, 2018)
– Olympic ice dance bronze medalists Maia Shibutani and Alex Shibutani announced today that they will not compete during the 2018-19 figure skating season. Although they are not competing this season, they are not ruling out future competitions.

"Our experience at the Olympic Games was the result of four years of relentless training and dedication,” Maia said. "While we are still young and love competing and performing, we have exciting projects that we have the opportunity to work on both together and individually.”

“We are currently touring with Stars on Ice and have plans to skate, train, and create new programs for shows we will be skating in throughout the year,” Alex said. “The support we have received from everyone around the world has been amazing and we are so grateful. We are incredibly excited about our new projects and opportunities and look forward to sharing them with everyone soon.”

The Shibutanis, who train in Canton, Michigan, with Marina Zoueva, Massimo Scali, Johnny Johns, and Oleg Epstein, began their partnership 14 years ago. Together they have won two U.S. titles (2016-17), three World medals (bronze in 2013 and ’17, silver in 2016), and have stood on the podium through various levels at the last 14 consecutive U.S. Championships. They capped off their 2017-18 campaign with a bronze medal at the 2018 Olympic Winter Games, becoming the first ice dancers of Asian descent and the first team of American siblings to win an Olympic ice dance medal. They also won a bronze medal in the Olympic Figure Skating Team Event alongside six of their teammates.
2011 :)
But that's just semantics
A very nice article and I will miss them a lot :)
Hope they come back if that's what they want

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
My favorite ice dance team :( I will miss them so much this season but I hope they enjoy this time off :yes:

Roast Toast

Medalist
Damn, I honestly didn't expect this. They must have gotten some really good deals outside of skating because I never got the impression from interviews that they felt they had achieved everything they wanted. Skating in shows throughout the year is a good sign for a potential comeback though. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

Danny T

Medalist
This was expected, but I will still miss them. I would think they have already accomplished everything they realistically could. Do I sometimes wish they could have been judged better? Yes. But they have their hard-fought OBM now, so I wish they can live their best life, competition or not.

Gonna miss those competition vlogs though :sad46:

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Hope they still return, just for selfish reasons. They've always been around ever since I started watching skating in 2010 so it'll be weird to see them not compete for the first time. I wonder how this will shake up Ice Dance and I'll really miss them.

brightphoton

Medalist
Good for them, figure skating pays peanuts. I'm glad they've gone off and are (probably) getting financially rewarded for their hard work.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
:hopelessness:

But they so deserve a break. Would love to see them come back, but it won't be easy.