Courtney Hicks changes her SP | Golden Skate

Courtney Hicks changes her SP

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Look, it is not the programs with Courtney it is her utter lack of skating skills. Who is her coach? They should have her killing herself on the ice trying to learn edges, brackets, EVERYTHING and then for an hour or two let her jump her heart out. It is her basic skating that is holding her back. Really. Who is coaching her? If she became a better SKATER not only would she make the Olympic team EASILY but also be pleasing to watch. Girl has jumps. Now someone just needs to teach her to SKATE. She's a diamond in the rough. She can do it. Why are her coaches so incompetent?

skatel80

On the Ice
Look, it is not the programs with Courtney it is her utter lack of skating skills. Who is her coach? They should have her killing herself on the ice trying to learn edges, brackets, EVERYTHING and then for an hour or two let her jump her heart out. It is her basic skating that is holding her back. Really. Who is coaching her? If she became a better SKATER not only would she make the Olympic team EASILY but also be pleasing to watch. Girl has jumps. Now someone just needs to teach her to SKATE. She's a diamond in the rough. She can do it. Why are her coaches so incompetent?

Courtney may not be Carolina in terms of ss but shes no surya bonaly like you make her sound. She has great speed and power and what she does in terms of skating skills is fine, not spectacular but fine! What makes her appear so much weaker is her upper body carraige which does need work, however i would rather watch her explosive exciting skating than yet another balletic princess with tiny jumps. Courtneys coaches Jere Michael and Alex chang are very well credentialed coaches as are all the coaches who taught her in the past. like John Nicks. I look forqward to her new short program.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I LIKE Courtney Hicks and her skating. When I saw her placement at Skate Canada I cringed but youtubed her FS. I thought it was great. She already has the jumps and the 3/3. I wish she'd take a solid month of skating skills only. Learn to balance on a deeper edge, iron out those shoulders and that back. She can do it. I just don't understand why she hasn't fixed these issues. It's been years. She's clearly capable of an Olympic birth. But she hasn't addressed her issues.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Courtney may not be Carolina in terms of ss but shes no surya bonaly like you make her sound. She has great speed and power and what she does in terms of skating skills is fine, not spectacular but fine! What makes her appear so much weaker is her upper body carraige which does need work, however i would rather watch her explosive exciting skating than yet another balletic princess with tiny jumps. Courtneys coaches Jere Michael and Alex chang are very well credentialed coaches as are all the coaches who taught her in the past. like John Nicks. I look forqward to her new short program.

Bonaly also had speed and power. Courtney's SS are terrible, I don't care what anyone says. Poor edging, middling at best ice coverage, upper middle speed but no Kostner or even Gold and no seeming ability to vary her speed- she goes from 0 to 80, nothing in between, so she isn't going to get points for acceleration. She has absolutely no flow whatsoever. Also things unrelated to SS as 'marked' but things the judges are bound to ding her for because they are really THAT bad: terrible line, no extension whatsoever (not to be confused with flexibility) complete lack of effort in pointing toes. Terrible posture, worse than Bonaly's. Seemingly little to no comprehension of the music she is skating to and what she is trying to convey.

Now, Courtney has strengths. Real strengths. She has fantastic jumps, and a raw power to her skating that makes it exciting. She is a performer and is fun to watch. But she is never going to crack the top 10 at Worlds, barring complete meltdowns from many others (which of course always could happen) unless she REALLY devotes herself to fixing the things I mention above. If she were able to improve those things, even just somewhat, then she could break into the top 10 in the world or even higher without any help from other skaters at all.

noidont

Final Flight
Courtney makes the Gracie two years ago look like a ballerina. Her jumps even look quite harsh. Seriously, I'll take Gosviani doing all double jumps over Hicks anyday.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I hope Gracie Gold doesn't make the GPF and takes that time to change her SP as well. :sarcasm:

With Hicks it doesn't really matter what the program is because she hasn't yet learned to perform. Also, with how good her Triples are, it's a shame her Double Axel is so lackluster.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I hope Gracie Gold doesn't make the GPF and takes that time to change her SP as well.

:thumbsup: I don't think Frank is going to let her keep that SP for Nationals. With all the changes the last few months there hasn't been time to put something new together but, like you said, if she can spend the end of November and all of December at home she should have plenty of time to get a better program.

96skiluvr

On the Ice
One thing to watch about Courtney's jumps - yes, they're high and powerful, but notice that after she lands them, she almost immediately puts her 2nd foot down. It never looks like she has complete control over the landing, seeing as you're supposed to hold the second leg high for a few seconds to show control over the landing, which she doesn't do. It always looks like she's just hanging on

amc987

On the Ice
I hope Gracie Gold doesn't make the GPF and takes that time to change her SP as well. :sarcasm:

With Hicks it doesn't really matter what the program is because she hasn't yet learned to perform. Also, with how good her Triples are, it's a shame her Double Axel is so lackluster.

I don't think Gracie would've changed her SP even if she'd skipped NHK to stay home and work with Frank. Unfortunately the judges at SCI validated her (and Marina Z's) delusion that doing helicopter arms and flailing around to screechy violins counts as good choreography and interpretation. I think we'll be seeing (and hearing) 3 Preludes through Sochi.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Courtney can't bury herself in the SP and then rise like a Phoenix from the ashes by landing all her jumps in the FS. Liza Tuktamysheva can do it because she gets high PCS scores, even when her jumps aren't working, because she never lets the performance get away from her, and when the jumps are working she sells the heck out of her programs. Courtney just jumps and has no idea what it means to perform.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Unfortunately the judges at SCI validated her (and Marina Z's) delusion that doing helicopter arms and flailing around to screechy violins counts as good choreography and interpretation.

That SP score was bewildering. She really needs a new orchestration of the music. The program concept is good, I think.

zamboni step

Final Flight
That SP score was bewildering. She really needs a new orchestration of the music. The program concept is good, I think.

I actually don't mind the arrangement. My problem is the cookie cutter almost Taylor Swift like, smiley interpretation of the music which is similar in its coy and flirty nature to Allegretto.