Skaters I Have Great Hopes For, But.... | Golden Skate

Skaters I Have Great Hopes For, But....

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Langlois and Archetto are on my list as a "great potential" pair. I really had high hopes for this pair last season and so far they just have not "hit their stride." I don't know what it is. Sometmes they look as though they are unhappy. That can really affect the skaters performance. I sure wish they could really gel and skate solid performances. Oh well, they still have the Worlds ahead.

Dubreuil and Lauzon are the most striking dance couple I have seen in a long time. They just look beautiful together gliding across the ice, but they seem to have the worst "luck." She had costume problems in the past and in Four continents she slipped while doing a step. They were in Bourne and Kraatz shadow for so long and now they have the opportunity to really step out and make their mark in ice dance. I wish they would come back to Canada for their training. I am not sure if training in France is what they need. I think the judges over here prefer the fresh look of youth as skated by Belbin and Augusto of the US. Dubreuil and Lauzon need a program like that!!

Joannie Rochette - This girl is loaded with talent; so artistic! She really has to work on her problem jump - the triple Lutz as Paul Martini observed. Other than that she is great.

Annie Bellemare - I really had great hopes for this girl a couple of seasons ago, but her nerves just seem to get to her. She did have a great skate at the Canadian Nationals. She too is very artistic. Too bad her nerves get to her!!!

These skaters of course are my picks from Canada.

Any others you can think of?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
ITA about Langlois & Archetto; the only time I've actually seen them was at Skate America in '02 and I thought they were absolutely terrific and have been disappointed with their rather erratic results since.

I have hopes for Ryan Bradley; I'd love to see him focus more; he has moments where he just blows me away and then he follows it up with lazy languid stuff, then blows me away again, then gets lazy again. Also for Angela Nikidonov; she was sooooo close to winning a Worlds medal in 2001 and I'd like to see her go again and pick one up this time! Also Inoue & Baldwin; I see some really good stuff in their programs and I'd like to see them skate cleanly.

SkaterBrett

Rinkside
Shawn Sawyer!!! This guys is amazing!!! When he gets his jumps down over the next year of two, i think her will be a strong competitor for the top spots in Canada!

Liz Putnam & Sean Wirtz are a great team. Last year they burst on to the scene, this year the stress built up as there was a lot of pressure on them. Now that they've been able to work through and learn how to handle the stress, I think next year will be an awesome year for Liz & Sean.

Shawn, Liz & Sean, Good luck!

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Ilia Klimkin.....The first time I saw him I was blown away by what I saw as innovative moves and fresh style. Innovative the first time, but the same moves getting a little stale as they are repeated year after year. Sunny Boy seemed interesting, Dr. Deisel just seemed weird.

Brian Jubert.... When he's on he lights up the place. I like the overall style of his programs, but they are a little too safe or simple at the same time. Why not push the envelope a little guy?

Stephane Lambiel....He's fun to watch, even with multiple falls. Please, please, please get consistant.

Carolina Kostner....and her evil twin sister. One minute she's fab, the very next day she skates like she's hung over. Please go with Lambiel to wherever he learns consistancy.

Elean Liashenko.....used to bore me until her Tango LP last season made me sit up and take notice. Please stay fresh and not resort to ripping-off Irina and/or Maria. That free leg in the telegraph of the flip and Lutz just make me want to whack her bent knee with a school master's ruler.

A-P....who skated her wonderful MB LP last season and her evil twin sister who skater the dreadful SL LP this season.

Fumie....so lovely yet seems so fragile. I hate having to be so nervous when someone skates.

MK.....we know you are great, we've seen it so many times. Too bad it was never at the Olys. Get thee to a sports shrink before Torino.

SkaterBrett

Rinkside
I would also like to see good things from Alexander Hamel.... He was eliminated after the Short Program at Canadians but he has great showmanship! He knows how to get the crowd entertained!! His Long program he did in the qualifying rounds was soooooooo funny!!! He needs to get his triples under him then he can kick some butt!!!

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
:cry: for Anabelle and Patrice. I have no idea what's been going on with them right now but after Jamie & Dave, they are my next fave pair and it breaks my heart to watch them struggle this year. I hate when my faves are having a rough time. I hope they can get it together and have another fabulous Worlds. They rocked out DC last year so I am hopeful that in this time between 4CC and Worlds they can finally hit a peak and skate great in Germany. :D

Angela: She was WONDERFUL in practices in Atlanta and I just wish she could put the programs together in competition. She is a gorgeous skater and such a sweetheart. I hope that she gets a few GP events this coming season and can rock out in Portland next year. You've got it girl, just show it in competition now!! :D

Ryan Jahnke: He's just now starting to really get the attention he deserves and I have VERY high hopes for him. He's just fabulous. Watching him at Nats was like watching a lesson in pure edging as well as the pure passion for skating. And on top of being a fab skater, he's a wonderful human being (I got to talk to him in Atlanta as well and he was quiet but very personable and friendly) and that just makes him all the more appealing. :D

merrywidow

Record Breaker
The skaters I have high hopes for in the future? Johnny Weir, Evan Lysacek, Ryan Bradley, Parker Pennington, Jordan Brauninger. Jenny Kirk & AP McDonough, Kim Meissner & Katy Taylor. I wish I had a crystal ball & could see into their skating futures but I hope they all achieve their goals.

Antilles

Medalist
I agree with a lot of these choices. L&A for sure. I love D&L and would love to see them move up. Angela Nikodinov for sure. She's been a hard luck case. Shawn Sawyer-I've never seen spirals like that from a man. He could rival Sasha Cohen (just needs more refining). I agree about Jahnke too. I would really, really like to see Bradley Santer (from Australia) move up in the world.

Last but not least: the entire Mexican team!

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Kevin Van Der Perren: I enjoy the men's event, but I haven't been bowled over by anyone since Yagudin/Plushenko burst onto the scene six years ago (as major contenders for gold). I saw Kevin skate this year and was enthralled! His skating is smooth and exciting. He just draws me in...he has that "it" factor. I'd love to see him increase his speed and add a triple axel and quad. I wish him the very best and can't wait to see what he does!

Beatrisa Liang: I was so impressed with Liang after seeing her live at the 2004 Nationals. She has such a confident manner on the ice and she blends all of the elements together so beautifully. Her jumps are also extremely impressive....now all she needs to do is land them in competition!

Jennifer Don: Honestly, I wasn't much of a fan at all before the 2004 Nationals. She has such undeniable presence live. She really struggled through her freeskate in Atlanta jumpwise, but the rest of the program was so well done that you almost forgot about the mistakes. That takes a special type of skater! I'd absolutely love to see her pull it all together...she could be phenomenal.

Stephanie Rosenthal: Again, I saw Stephanie for the first and only time as of yet at the 2004 Nationals. She is young and unfinished in many aspects, but she was the first skater that really demanded the crowd's attention. Again, the case of that "it" factor that is sometimes difficult to explain. She only did triple toes and sals (quite well), but she'll definitely need the other three triples if she harbors any hopes for a Nationals medal.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
SkaterBrett:

I was going to mention Shawn Sawyer as well. He is an awesome skater. So artistic, but as you mentioned has to get those jumps under his belt. I am looking forward to seeing more of him in the future.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Ann Patrice McDonough. When I first saw her I was taken with her flow, ice coverage and elegant style. But from the stories I hear about her family situation I fear that she is going to be Tiffany Chin II. We'll see how she bounces back from her foot injury.

Shizuka Arakawa. The powerful jumps and beautiful flow were always there and she has really come on strong with presentation -- even Dick Button commented that she had beautiful artistry. The only things that are lacking are the big "C" -- consistency and "S" -- spins.

Carolina Kostner. Again, the basics are there -- strong edges and stroking, beautiful flow and good posture. But her moves are quite unpolished, her choreography needs work and she makes Sasha look consistent. Hopefully she won't get hit by the puberty fairy.

Bebe Liang. She showed flashes of brilliance on the GP this year but splatted all over the place at Nationals. Could she be the next one to have a Salome-like transformation?

Last edited:

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I'd love to see him increase his speed and add a triple axel and quad.

Not sure what you meant. Kev did 2 beautiful 3x/3t combos in SLC. Last year he added the quad, but not only has he not mastered it but he seems to have lost consistancy on the 3x in the process. He attempted both at nats (fall on 4t, pop of 3x) so I expect to see them attempted at Euros and worlds. Without COP, I'm not sure tha he can make the podium without them.

But from the stories I hear about her family situation I fear that she is going to be Tiffany Chin II.

Well, let's hope she develops a backbone. I'm always saddened by tales of people who can't take control of their own lives. History is full of sucessful (Oly gold medal winning) skaters who dedicated thier lives to the sport they loved with skating parents from hell.

But her moves are quite unpolished, her choreography needs work and she makes Sasha look consistent.
To me, these two are apples and oranges: polar oposites. I've seen Carolina skate brilliant clean programs and I've seen her have 6 or more mistakes in the same 4 minutes. Sasha is totally consistant IMHO, she always puts down a decent program with 1, 2 or sometimes 3 mistakes but she is never ever clean and I've never seen her have a total meltdown either. She's a very consistant 5 triple jump lady.

euterpe

Medalist
I think the puberty monster already has his teeth in Carolina Kostner. It remains to be seen if Kostner will regain her form and consistency when her body adapts.

Johar

Medalist
Fedor Andreev: If he could just step it up a notch. Has alot of talent.

Shizuka Arakawa: what Ogre Mage wrote above sums it up best.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Shizuka Arakawa: beautyful edge and flow on ice. powerfull jumps. combined strong presentation skill (with arm and body movements), but lacking of facial expression (what most western judges looking for. but IMO, a more traditional Japanese Lady style). But she was undermarked last season, she is still undermarked this season so far.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Euterpe, you may have a point about Carolina Kostner. This is why I refuse to get excited about female skaters under the age of 17, regardless of talent, because we have seen so many that were fantastic at 14, 15, then by 16, 17, problems set in and they never hit the potential expected from them at 15.

Anyone remember Lisa Ervin, national silver medallist in '93? When I first saw her in 92, I was blown away by the incredible talent of this 14-year-old; 3 years later she wasn't even skating anymore. THAT one broke my heart... :(

shine

Record Breaker
What's wrong with getting excited with ladies under 17? There are more things to skating than jumps and I fall in love with a skater for what I see in them regardless of whether he/she can jump or not.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I completely agree that there's more to skating than jumps. Personally, the main thing I look for in a program is good choreography, use therof, and good use of music. I actually find that most skaters under 17 have not developed those sorts of things fully yet.

That being said, allow me to rephrase. I've seen a lot of skaters under 17 I've been fairly excited about. It would probably be more accurate to say that I adopt a Wait N See attitude with many of them when the talk starts going into the mode of ooh, she's gonna win Worlds one day, she's gonna win the Olympics. Or even merely "What a great future she's going to have in this sport!" To which I reply, yeah, let her get past the danger age (17 seems to be the problem most of the time, but sometimes it's 16) first and then we'll see. Yes, I am aware the last 3 Olympic champions were under 17. I am also pretty sure that had they stayed around after winning it, it would not have been pretty. (Jury is still out on Hughes, given that she left to go to school as opposed to going pro)

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
JonnyCoop said:

Yes, I am aware the last 3 Olympic champions were under 17. I am also pretty sure that had they stayed around after winning it, it would not have been pretty. (Jury is still out on Hughes, given that she left to go to school as opposed to going pro)
Actually she did stay around for one season after her Olympic triumph and as you said, it wasn't pretty.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Ogre Mage said:
Actually she did stay around for one season after her Olympic triumph and as you said, it wasn't pretty.

I'm not sure as I completely agree with that. Yeah, she lost some ground in the jump department, and logically an Olympic champion should do better than 3rd at Nats and 6th at Worlds -- but from a style/choreography standpoint, I saw a lot of really exciting, interesting stuff in her programs that I had not seen previously. Plus bear in mind, she did have a lot of distractions and an injury that cut into her training time.