Oda won't compete anymore! | Golden Skate

Oda won't compete anymore!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not surprised by this announcement, but I was hoping he would compete @ least through this season (no 4CC for him, Worlds - if there was a retirement/withdrawal).

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
It's not that suprising, I mean 4CC is nothing more than the 'you didn't make it too the real events'-event and a good showing at nationals (so in Japan) is probably a better last showing than 4CC. He even said he hopes his withdrawel gives a younger skater a good opportunity :cry:

I'm really mad at the JSF. Not giving him the 3rd spot is okay, but the way they did it wasn't. Oda didn't seem to have any chance after he was out with injury and he was constantly snubbed and underscored and not even considered for the 3rd spot. He probably feels like the JSF didn't want him back too, and that must be a really hurtful feeling. I like his skating and even more I love his sunny, optimistic personality and I will really miss him :cry: He can be really proud of his last season.

MMajik

Rinkside
Oda Nobunari has just announced he is retiring today.
I mean, today's retirement:cry:

OH Oda!...I cried when I saw his announcement after the MOI on Fuji...
I feel so sad for him, and I think he should be sent to the Worlds at least this season since he has been performing well.
Such a shame that Japan has so many wonderful skaters but only has 3 spots for both Sochi and the Worlds.

lady_bee

Medalist
Maybe it's not that suprising, but I was hoping to see his last & real smile at 4CC or World:cry:

Icey

Record Breaker
He is such a charming skater and a delight to watch. Is this because he can no longer find sponsors?

Gigi13

On the Ice
I'm going to miss him so much :cry:ugh he was so happy,optimistic,and charismatic I just wanted to see one last smile from him at 4CCs but he had amazing season and I'm proud of him :cry: .

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think this is a bit of a rash decision. I would have liked him to skate on and who knows - at the very least finish this year. I think him and Kozuka kind of got the shaft. Dai is so lucky. LIfe isn't fair. What if Dai wins the oly gold can you imagine the human pain Oa and Kozuka would be feeling? I know life isn't fair but this sad.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think this is a bit of a rash decision. I would have liked him to skate on and who knows - at the very least finish this year. I think him and Kozuka kind of got the shaft. Dai is so lucky. LIfe isn't fair. What if Dai wins the oly gold can you imagine the human pain Oa and Kozuka would be feeling? I know life isn't fair but this sad.

I think Oda is in peace with his decision and would be happy for Daisuke if he won the OGM.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The end of Odas career was really Skate Canada 2010 when he was beaten by a 4 falls Patrick Chan. That showed the Japanese federation even skating very well he was 4 falls behind the top skaters, and immediately diminished their views on him for the remainder of his career.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I think Nobunari has been ready to retire for quite awhile, ever since the 2010 worlds when he didn't want to skate and just did a bunch of singles in the short program, not qualifying for the free skate.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think Nobunari has been ready to retire for quite awhile, ever since the 2010 worlds when he didn't want to skate and just did a bunch of singles in the short program, not qualifying for the free skate.

Have you watched his programs this season? He certainly wasn't skating like he wanted to retire.

And IIRC, the 2010 SP meltdown was a combination of post-Olympics letdown and distraction as he found out that his girlfriend (now wife) was pregnant with their first son.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Have you watched his programs this season? He certainly wasn't skating like he wanted to retire.

And IIRC, the 2010 SP meltdown was a combination of post-Olympics letdown and distraction as he found out that his girlfriend (now wife) was pregnant with their first son.

Well, he was good this season but I just felt that his heart wasn't quite in it since then. I could be wrong of course. I know that the pregnancy at least contributed to the meltdown.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well, he was good this season but I just felt that his heart wasn't quite in it since then. I could be wrong of course. I know that the pregnancy at least contributed to the meltdown.

He also dealt with injuries during the 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 season. This was the first year he was injury-free for the whole season.

pitterpatter

On the Ice
To me it seemed like this season his head was finally in the right place and he was really moving in the right direction with his skating. It was refreshing to see him so motivated. Really disappointing that his progress this season had to be halted so abruptly, I can't help but feel he still had room to grow. :cry:

Jedi

On the Ice

I thhe felt abandoned by JSF. He might not have said it. It was clear with JSF supporting DAi so generously (they gave him both world's and oly's. It might be a mistake becaus if Dai wins Oly gold or Hanyuitwouldnt surprise me if they don't go to world's opening a spot or two to world's.

Trewyn

Medalist
I'm going to miss him so much! What with his quad-triples, gorgeously soft jump landings and kind of adorable smile - he was a skater deserving of a medal at Worlds. So sad he never got it.

So disappointed that neither Kozuka or Oda made it to the Olympics :(

Becki

Medalist
I thhe felt abandoned by JSF. He might not have said it. It was clear with JSF supporting DAi so generously (they gave him both world's and oly's. It might be a mistake becaus if Dai wins Oly gold or Hanyuitwouldnt surprise me if they don't go to world's opening a spot or two to world's.

I doubt Hanyu will skip Worlds..he wants to become World Champion.

Dai..he might. If it opens a spot, Kozuka is the first alternate. Ahhhh...why must all the Japanese men be so good T_T