2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going? | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2014 Worlds: Which Skaters are not going?

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
gmyers said:
It was not guaranteed. It was a surprise. Canada was the frontrunner.

Then an at least guaranteed silver medal - my point regarding Adelina/Julia fed favoritism is still the same ;)

usethis2

Medalist
It's official. Adelina Sotnikova won't compete for the 2014 Worlds. She's listed as a 3rd sub. Pogo and Lip get to go. Good for Adelina. She does need a rest from this lengthy & stressful season and there's always a next year for that world's gold medal.

Link: http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00028068.htm

Roflmao. At least someone in her camp is smart. What happened to Adelina "I-Want-Every-Gold-There-Is" Sotnikova?

Will the Russian Fed dump her now that they fulfilled Putin's wishes?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
*strolls in to see what news there's been*

Oh for crying out loud. Yet another thread turning into an Olympic whingefest. Take it somewhere else people.

Adelina's not going, that's fine. It's a post-Olympic Worlds, a lot of people don't go. Get over it.

usethis2

Medalist
I just want[ed] to see the[her] scoring in the world. It hasn't happened yet so I can't get over it. :biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, Lipnitskaya got questionable scores in Sochi, too (remember the team event?), and she's going. So don't despair

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
*strolls in to see what news there's been*

Oh for crying out loud. Yet another thread turning into an Olympic whingefest. Take it somewhere else people.

Adelina's not going, that's fine. It's a post-Olympic Worlds, a lot of people don't go. Get over it.

:thumbsup:

usethis2

Medalist
Considering so much OTT and excessive amt of abuse and ridicule Adelina was subjected to after winning the Sochi OGM, I'm not at all shocked that she decided to skip the Worlds. Can you imagine the outcry she'll have to face if she underperforms (god forbid)? I think her team judged the situation wisely and this was a right move to protect/shield her from all of her haters. There's the motivation factor to consider as well. They say that it's really hard to focus and regroup right after the big win. I mean, she's an OGM medalist, a title every skater COVETS for his/her entire life as a competitive skater. It'd be stranger if she can put that aside and train very hard again right after an emotionally draining period from Sochi. Think of Yuna Kim who had a disastrous SP in post-Vancouver Worlds because she wasn't motivated at all and neither fully trained/prepped for the 2010 Worlds. After resting and being recharged, I believe she'll come back stronger than ever the next season and show a thing or two to her naysayers. :)
That is a complete misunderstanding of the situation. There are haters, for sure, but the real issue is not Adelina. I have had Adelina as the No. 1 for the next quad or two once the veterans retired. She has many qualities that I like and raw talent. If she comes back improved, then I will cheer for her without question.

Question was, how the judges will score her outside of Russia, within a month of receiving ridiculous scores in the Olympic that happened to take place in Russia. It was always about the fraudulent and disgusting judging. But alas.. it seems like that's not going to happen - for obvious reasons. I hope Adelina gets some rest and enjoys her moment.

I mean, I have a hunch that Adelina herself wants to go but her federation (or dare I say the ISU and some of the judges/techs who were involved in the fixing) have told her not to. Imagine why.

VirMo

On the Ice
I think not showing up at Worlds is a lose for Adelina, regardless of whose decision it was. So many people are doubtful about the result at the Olympics, so she could have used Worlds to prove herself. By not showing up, it shows that she is afraid she may not do as well, which will only add to the doubts around her.

This is a very different situation from Yuna's. Yuna has been building her reputation for so many years before Vancouver, always stayed within top three. She already had won Worlds before going to Olympics, so after that point she didn't have much else to prove. Adelina does.

But I don't care about Adelina proving herself at this point. I WANT MAO TO NAIL BOTH PROGRAMS

usethis2

Medalist
Yu-Na had a choice in 2010. She had voluntarily committed to going to 2010 Worlds at the beginning of the season, though, and didn't change her mind even though mentally she obviously wasn't in the right mindset. It had nothing to do with keeping spots for Korea, though, because if so, that same reasoning would mean she's competing at 2014 Worlds.

Yes, I remember that. She clearly stated that she would go to the Worlds after the Olympic amid many folks' question - whether she'd retire. She said she would think about it after the Worlds. And she showed up in Torino to showcase what Yuna-bomb is like. lol. It was the 2nd time I'd seen the Yuna-bomb, after SA 2009 FS. At least she redeemed herself in the FS and received silver in that event, with Mao finally performing like a champ in her FS as well. (I was livid at the score they gave for her flawless FS with two 3A's)

Well, Adelina's no-show kind of killed the suspense of the Worlds but I guess I will still tune in for Yuzuru and his unbelievable jumps.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I think she will retire. (by Russian Fed)

They don't wanna hurt their first lady OGM.

In reality, Sotnikova has no international title in senior level, even no GP series winning.

(Tuktamisheva & Lipnitskaia won several time.)

She is not reliable skater outside of Russia.

And Russia has many girls, don't need obsession with her.

Who cares!!! I bet Pogorilaya and Tuktamisheva would trade their GP titles for even a chance to be in Sochi!!

gmyers

Record Breaker
That is a complete misunderstanding of the situation. There are haters, for sure, but the real issue is not Adelina. I have had Adelina as the No. 1 for the next quad or two once the veterans retired. She has many qualities that I like and raw talent. If she comes back improved, then I will cheer for her without question.

Question was, how the judges will score her outside of Russia, within a month of receiving ridiculous scores in the Olympic that happened to take place in Russia. It was always about the fraudulent and disgusting judging. But alas.. it seems like that's not going to happen - for obvious reasons. I hope Adelina gets some rest and enjoys her moment.

I mean, I have a hunch that Adelina herself wants to go but her federation (or dare I say the ISU and some of the judges/techs who were involved in the fixing) have told her not to. Imagine why.

You can go back and before the Olympics. And you see Sotnikova with huge PCS at Euros and GPF and GP events. Even back to 2011 she won medals on the GP because of her PCS. She's always got great scores from the judges and in Sochi she got Olympic scores! Big surprise! In Turin guess what PCS was down from Vancouver! Big surprise. Stop being such an extreme hater of Sotnikova.

I think not showing up at Worlds is a lose for Adelina, regardless of whose decision it was. So many people are doubtful about the result at the Olympics, so she could have used Worlds to prove herself. By not showing up, it shows that she is afraid she may not do as well, which will only add to the doubts around her.

This is a very different situation from Yuna's. Yuna has been building her reputation for so many years before Vancouver, always stayed within top three. She already had won Worlds before going to Olympics, so after that point she didn't have much else to prove. Adelina does.

But I don't care about Adelina proving herself at this point. I WANT MAO TO NAIL BOTH PROGRAMS

She did prove herself at the Olympics. She never skated so well. She was always messing up the LP in one way or another! She never skated so well and had been getting great scores with flaws here and there since 2011. If you think that all of a sudden shed be getting 4's or 5's in PCS or whatever where does that come from???

noskates

Record Breaker
I, too, want Mao to nail both programs and land her triple axel in BOTH short and long!!!

VirMo

On the Ice
You can go back and before the Olympics. And you see Sotnikova with huge PCS at Euros and GPF and GP events. Even back to 2011 she won medals on the GP because of her PCS. She's always got great scores from the judges and in Sochi she got Olympic scores! Big surprise! In Turin guess what PCS was down from Vancouver! Big surprise. Stop being such an extreme hater of Sotnikova.

She did prove herself at the Olympics. She never skated so well. She was always messing up the LP in one way or another! She never skated so well and had been getting great scores with flaws here and there since 2011. If you think that all of a sudden shed be getting 4's or 5's in PCS or whatever where does that come from???

Oh.. so you are saying she proved herself because that's basically the best she can do and she can never do better?

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I really hope Julia skates clean. I also want Kevin to go as clean as possible. I know he loves Japan, so that might help him. I wonder why the Anericans don't send Max and Jason. I think they have the best chances of a good enough placement. If Jeremy goes, I hope he has good programs.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I understand the reasons for Adelina not going but I don't think even Putin himself could have kept Yulia out of Worlds this year no matter what happened in Sochi! I think a lot of people have been defending Adelina and to some extent the reputation of figure skating based on her gold. It's not like her schedule was any more tough than her 15 yr old rivals so what's the big deal. Even Caro went from Euros to olympics and now Worlds(Caro please don't drop out.). If Yulia can handle it why not Adelina. I might be way off base here and I understand not everyone goes in an olympic year but my respect for her goes down. Right or wrong that's how I feel. End rant.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I understand the reasons for Adelina not going but I don't think even Putin himself could have kept Yulia out of Worlds this year no matter what happened in Sochi! I think a lot of people have been defending Adelina and to some extent the reputation of figure skating based on her gold. It's not like her schedule was any more tough than her 15 yr old rivals so what's the big deal. Even Caro went from Euros to olympics and now Worlds(Caro please don't drop out.). If Yulia can handle it why not Adelina. I might be way off base here and I understand not everyone goes in an olympic year but my respect for her goes down. Right or wrong that's how I feel. End rant.

I don't have strong feelings either way, but I can see how somebody opting to not take the opportunity to go to Worlds after saying "I want all the gold!" can rub some people the wrong way.

OTOH, I certainly understand the struggle to peak again after turning in two strong performances in the Olympics. Certainly Yuna struggled with that in 2012. The whirlwind media tours/event-attending/etc. that happens after you win OGM makes the task to be motivated and trained for Worlds even tougher.

It would be interesting to find a skater who managed turned in great performances at both Worlds/Olympics. You hear stories about skaters who do better at one event than the other (either better Olympics than Worlds or vice versa) but who consistently turned two solid competitions with mostly clean programs?

KJGL

Rinkside
Well they had said post Sochi they werent going. It is hard to keep track of all these skaters changing their minds.

It is, quite a few of them have changed their minds one way or the other. But the entrant lists are posted at ISU now. I think the most that can happen at this point is a last minute substitution (and the subs are listed, too).