2014 Olympics Free Dance | Page 55 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Free Dance

tjskate

Rinkside
Oops, sorry, I was replying to a quote from someone who said "ice dancing is not a sport" and forgot to Reply with Quote! Oh well - that argument makes me weary, but it constantly comes up (sigh.)

I also want to congratulate everyone - what a beautiful dance competition! LOVE V/M, but am happy for D/W and feel they did deserve the win.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thank you!
Hmmm... well, it seems they were polite and measured, and perhaps honest. It’s seems like whatever one says in a press conference that is not super generic has the potential to balloon into headlines.
I thought overall they seem fine and not bitter or angry. It does seem odd to me, however, that they would consider it odd that Marina didn’t march with them. Is there a requirement that a coach needs to march with a particular
team, if they coach several teams from different countries? Don’t think so. So, it seems fair that Marina mixes it up from one Olympics to the next...

Does anyone know why both top teams made the coaching switch, didn't V/M and D/W used to skate for Schpilband?

Shpilband and Zoueva used to be equals in a coaching partnership in Canton, Michigan. Their teams included Virtue/Moir, Davis/White, the Shibutanis, Chock/Bates, Tobias/Stagniunas (sp?).

My summary of what then happened (others might describe things differently):
Zoueva essentially kicked Shpilband out of the partnership and out of the rink they used.
Shpilband then sued the rink and/or Zoueva; the case was settled out of court -- and the settlement was a moral victory for Shpilband.
Virtue/Moir, Davis/White, and the Shibutanis chose to stick with Zoueva.
C/B and T/S followed Shpilband to a rink in nearby Novi, Michigan.​

Regarding marching in the Opening Ceremony:
In 2010, when the coaching partnership was still in effect, Shpilband (a U.S. citizen, I think?) marched with Davis/White as part of Team USA -- and Zoueva marched with Virtue/Moir as part of Team Canada.
So as I said in another post, Zoueva created the problem of V/M and D/W being reduced to only one primary coach. Making sure both couples were feeling proper support prob. was much easier when Shpilband and Zoueva shared the responsibility.

ETA, reminder that Zoueva is a Canadian citizen, as discussed a little while ago in either this thread or the other similar one.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I like how it doesn't blatantly say USA on it
Yup. To me (OK, so perhaps I overanalyze!) it says "I am an athlete representing my country" as opposed to "I am a piece of the entity that is my country".

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I still say the US jackets makes the athletes look like astronauts getting ready for a space flight. :laugh:

emdee

Final Flight
Shpilband and Zoueva used to be equals in a coaching partnership in Canton, Michigan. Their teams included Virtue/Moir, Davis/White, the Shibutanis, Chock/Bates, Tobias/Stagniunas (sp?).

Zoueva essentially kicked Shpilband out of the partnership and out of the rink they used.
Shpilband then sued the rink and/or Zoueva; the case was settled out of court -- and the settlement was a moral victory for Shpilband.
C/B, and T/S followed Shpilband to a rink in nearby Novi, Michigan.​

In 2010, when the coaching partnership was still in effect, Shpilband (a U.S. citizen, I think?) marched with Davis/White as part of Team USA -- and Zoueva marched with Virtue/Moir as part of Team Canada.
So as I said in another post, Zoueva created the problem of V/M and D/W being reduced to only one primary coach. Making sure both couples were feeling proper support prob. was much easier when Shpilband and Zoueva shared the responsibility.​

Keep in mind that they thought she would march with them as she is a Canadian Citizen ( or used to be one).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Keep in mind that they thought she would march with them as she is a Canadian Citizen ( or used to be one).

Yes, absolutely agree, emdee.

I will go back and add a notation to my post.

I didn't bother to mention Zoueva's Canadian citizenship again b/c some of us had discussed it just a little bit earlier ... but maybe in the other thread?? Sorry, hard to keep track of two threads discussing the same thing.

Maribelle

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Thanks for the information!

C/B, and T/S followed Shpilband to a rink in nearby Novi, Michigan.​

So as I said in another post, Zoueva created the problem of V/M and D/W being reduced to only one primary coach. Making sure both couples were feeling proper support prob. was much easier when Shpilband and Zoueva shared the responsibility.

ETA, reminder that Zoueva is a Canadian citizen, as discussed a little while ago in either this thread or the other similar one.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I like how it doesn't blatantly say USA on it

I think the American Open Ceremony sweater jackets were enough screaming USA for a life time or two LOL Subtle and understated elegance was certainly not Ralph Lauren's forte. It was like he was on his pony with his mallet and he just punched that mallet for all it is worth until the star spangled bangle was coming out of every American ahtletes pores like an exploding volcano. :rofl::rofl::party2:

I think the American Open Ceremony sweater jackets were enough screaming USA for a life time or two LOL Subtle and understated elegance was certainly not Ralph Lauren's forte. It was like he was on his pony with his mallet and he just punched that mallet for all it is worth until the star spangled bangle was coming out of every American ahtletes pores like an exploding volcano. :rofl::rofl::party2:

Ugh, I hated the opening ceremony outfits!!!! The ugliest things to be dredged up.....Hello, tacky sweater party

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Finally rewatched my whole DVR of the Free Dance. Loooooooooooooved I/K's Black Swan. Gorgeous. That first lift hit the note of the music PERFECTLY.

Heck, I thought it was better than the snoozefest that came in second...

LOL, me too, Rice!!! :laugh:

On an unrelated note....For those that believe that Zoueva's allegiance changed from V/M to D/W, I do see where you're coming from. I don't agree that V/M got slighted, but I do agree that perhaps she had some preferences.
That being said, I think that her preferences changed when she saw how D/W were able to push the sport into a zone that it's really never been at before athletically and such. I have to wonder if Zoueva didn't consider the future of ID as a sport in her decision too. As evidenced in threads here and the media, IDs inclusion in the Olympics is controversial to some people. By going with D/W's style, I think that the judges within the skating community have been making the statement and the push for athletically/technically more complex programs for the Olympics instead of the romantic/pretty factor. (I'm not saying you can't have both...I think D/W's FD did....I'm just saying their program certainly pushed a pace and synchronization that is different.)

Maribelle

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I thought I/K's lifts looked the most difficult and exciting. V/M didn't seem as striking to me on the ice as I/K or D/W.

I thought I/K's lifts looked the most difficult and exciting. V/M didn't seem as striking to me on the ice as I/K or D/W.

I'd agree....but I also think that I/K and D/Ws programs had music that allowed for more/better moments to go for crazy lifts and fast twizzles
I LOVED V/Ms program, but it stood out to me as seeming a little slow (in a not so good way)....I think it's because all of the programs around it were definitely faster paced.

shiba

Spectator
Well American and Canadian media tend to have their own biases - y0ou can tell because if youu read or they write enough you can see their lack of knowledge of the sport. But one thing D and W have over V and M no matter what is money. Being ameriicans they will rake in the money unlike v and m.
Do V & M not get paid for their sponsorships? I remember a big spread from Roots right after Vancouver. Do they not get paid as much for the professional ice shows? I guess I assumed that Olympic champions would get basically the same pay scale if they appeared on the same ice show.