2014 Olympics Free Dance | Page 57 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Free Dance

KKonas

Medalist
Hi everyone, this far it's been 'read-only' for me, but I'm going to post here for the first time because I don't agree with most of the bashing of the Sochi audience, and I actually was there yesterday (and at Men's FS, if that matters). Someone questioned, why no big ovation for D/W. Well, believe it or not, most people from the audience I had a chat with, including those who'd never heard all these names before, actually preferred Virtue/Moir in the SD, this includes a couple of young men who had an enormous Russian flag and a horn thingy, which certainly doesn't belong at a figure skating event. Anyway, my point is that the majority of the audience was actually rooting for "the Canadians" rather than "the Americans", and they simply weren't as impressed with D/W. Most of them were no experts in figure skating, but I insist that good performances actually received the cheer they deserved. You can call this audience raw, but their response was very sincere.
If anyone's interested, I personally loved the Spanish team, MJ from C/B, V/M, W/P and I/K.

Sorry excuse. Don't care who you are rooting for, deliberately sitting on your hands is not good sportsmanship. Every skater deserved applause for their effort.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Forgive me for a neophyte question but...isn’t there a sort of unwritten rule that once you win gold in the Olympics in ice dance, you move on and allow the other skaters to move up a placement? I can see how this is necessary in ice dancing because if you win the Olympics and stay in 4 more years, then you’re creating a “log jam” [assuming that all skaters continue at the same level of skating].

So what was the reason for V/M to stay on for another Olympics? Because I can see how the judges might have wanted to penalize them for that.

Also, I don’t know why Scott would bring up the coaching issue at this point. If they didn’t sign a lifetime contract, then they were free to switch and it should’ve been obvious that they weren’t going to get the same attention, or the same judging, as they did for the last Olympics.

I think V&M probably stayed in for several reasons.

They were the youngest Olympic gold medalists in dance history and so if they had left in 2010, it would have been a short career and they felt they had more to give. They probably felt they had a chance at winning at least another gold medal and should stay for another Olympics. And I'm sure they were encouraged to stay on by Skate Canada and a lot of their other supporters in Canada since they were the only Canadians to win figure skating gold in the last cycle.

I think most people assume that Davis & White will not stay for another Olympics, so the traditional historical pattern you refer to will probably take effect this time.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Horns, whistles and drums are things I ve seen at Euros as well, hey Swiss have cowbells.
I didnt see any antiamerican ambiance, Gold was cheered a lot in team event and Abott got a huge support, Brown was really applauded in team and individual a lot, actually in team event there is a case I didnt like D/W either, because mainly of music choice once again. Anyway audience consists of different nationalities, even if they hold a russian flag ;)

Last edited:

Matt K

On the Ice
Exactly. Abbott, Brown, Gold got pretty good reception at the team event. And given D/W's FD music to Scheherazade is a Russian staple, and I mean a beloved Russian staple, that says quite a bit about how the Russians viewed their performance. Cold and clinical performance, IMO. A bit more "tight" than at Nationals.

Give me the soulfulness of Bestimianova/Bukin, Grishuk/Platov, Krylova/Ovsyannikov any day.

westernhalf

Rinkside
Forgive me for a neophyte question but...isn’t there a sort of unwritten rule that once you win gold in the Olympics in ice dance, you move on and allow the other skaters to move up a placement? I can see how this is necessary in ice dancing because if you win the Olympics and stay in 4 more years, then you’re creating a “log jam” [assuming that all skaters continue at the same level of skating].

So what was the reason for V/M to stay on for another Olympics? Because I can see how the judges might have wanted to penalize them for that.

I think that many move on because winning an OGM is considered something of a pinnacle in sports, and maybe they want to go out at the top, rather than lose in subsequent competitions. Also, many competitors are older than those coming up behind them, and probably feel that 4 more years of hard work might be for naught, medal-wise. Too, there is (or at least, has been) the opportunity to get paid for shows, and mop up financially with advertisers.

My guess as to why V/M stayed on: their relatively young age when they got the gold. They probably felt that they had at least four more good years of practice/competition in them. The injury/surgery was something they couldn't have foreseen.

And, I don't think that the judges penalize anyone for staying in competition--at least, let's hope not. V/M were winning competitions during the first part of this last quad, but began losing mightily in the last 2 years. Injury/surgery probably had something to do with that. And while V/M were out of competition, D/W used the time to push the envelope on themselves and develop new/better skills.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Exactly. Abbott, Brown, Gold got pretty good reception at the team event. And given D/W's FD music to Scheherazade is a Russian staple, and I mean a beloved Russian staple, that says quite a bit about how the Russians viewed their performance. Cold and clinical performance, IMO. A bit more "tight" than at Nationals.

Give me the soulfulness of Bestimianova/Bukin, Grishuk/Platov, Krylova/Ovsyannikov any day.

Well, there's YouTube. Why don't you go there and binge watch on those performances instead of going on ad nauseum about how much you hated Davis and White or demeaning other human beings who don't agree with you.

We get the point. 1.) D&W Sucks. 2.) D&W legacy sucks. 3.) Basically D&W sucks more than a baby's pacifier. 4.) D&W sucks so much they shouldn't even bother to be on the same ice as previous OGMs. In fact they suck so much they shouldn't even be in the same practice rink as past OGMs.

See I can do it too! I've just freed you up to watch your favorites. You're welcome!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

Make that 90 "I hate Marlie" posts.

Really, we got it. You hate Marlie.

ETA: Damn Mrs P, you beat me to it And your post was funnier.

millie

Medalist
Many people have speculated for a while that Marina Z. had grown closer to Meryl & Charlie than Tessa & Scott over the past cycle, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea for V&M to air that feeling at this point in time. Perhaps they are feeling unhappy, but it would be an unfortunate way to end a long-term coaching relationship by having a public spat after the Olympics.

Didn't Maina get Derick Hough of Dancing with the Stars to choreograph Meryl and Charlie's dance. He announced this on Access Hollywood tonight.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
http://www.freep.com/article/20140217/SPORTS17/302170097/alex-maia-shibutani-sochi-olympics

Nope. It was a comment meant to imply that the Shib s performance in the fd was probably affected a lot by the trauma of Maia and Alex dealing with the above wardrobe malfunction.

What a nightmare. It sounds like something you dream about before the event, then talk through with your sports psychologist. But then to actually have it happen at the Olympics...

To be honest, I didn't notice. I thought they were more thrown by the complete lack of audience response (I thought the same about Coomes & Buckland).

On the up side, that's probably the last time that will happen to them in their career.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
What a nightmare. It sounds like something you dream about before the event, then talk through with your sports psychologist. But then to actually have it happen at the Olympics...

To be honest, I didn't notice. I thought they were more thrown by the complete lack of audience response (I thought the same about Coomes & Buckland).

On the up side, that's probably the last time that will happen to them in their career.

Sadly however, this is an addition to a number of other freak accidents by the Shibs over the years including Alex's altitude meltdwon during 2012 4CC, the twizzle disaster at 2012 Worlds, the leg cramp from 2012 Cup of Russia.......One can only hope that they've gotten the freak accidents/falls behind them by now. :(

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sadly however, this is an addition to a number of other freak accidents by the Shibs over the years including Alex's altitude meltdwon during 2012 4CC, the twizzle disaster at 2012 Worlds, the leg cramp from 2012 Cup of Russia.......One can only hope that they've gotten the freak accidents/falls behind them by now. :(

And the Shibs had an earlier costume problem ... maybe in the 2011-2012 season? I forget what exactly happened and how, but it was something about the length of Maia's dress causing trouble. By the next competition, she had a shorter dress.

Which leads me to a question for Mrs. P, Doris, or anyone who knows the answer:
How many times does a skater typically train wearing a new costume before s/he and her/his team are comfortable using it in competition?​

I imagine it's a trade-off btwn feeling confident that the costume will be mishap-free vs. not risking damage from wear and tear??

(As an aside: This season, I believe Max Aaron's SD top barely arrived at the SLC Classic in time for him to wear it ... and he had not even let Coach Tom Z see it before the competition.)

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
We get the point. 1.) D&W Sucks. 2.) D&W legacy sucks. 3.) Basically D&W sucks more than a baby's pacifier. 4.) D&W sucks so much they shouldn't even bother to be on the same ice as previous OGMs. In fact they suck so much they shouldn't even be in the same practice rink as past OGMs.

See I can do it too! I've just freed you up to watch your favorites. You're welcome!

Oh, Mrs. P, how this made me laugh! The passive aggressive posts are just not enough, some people have to find a way to rephrase the digs.

Well, at least I haven't seen some of the comments I saw on another site where they stated Meryl is ugly, is anorexic, they never look at one another so they have no chemistry, they don't point their toes, they were wobbly, Charlie isn't strong enough, blah blah blah blah blah. Diarrhea mouths all. It's one thing to say you don't care for the way they skate and prefer V-M, but to make up a bunch of nonsense to try and strengthen a point is sophomoric.

Here's a little violin music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej7ztY6_pTg

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I hate how people hate the Seasons. I think the music was beautiful and really was perfect for V/M. There aren't many Russian composers that sound lyrical like that. It's usually more bombastic. I thought it was a brilliant piece of music and a brilliant program.

Hi, everyone -- this is my first post, although have been lurking for a while...anyway, the ID competition knocked my socks off. I was thrilled that everyone skated so very well and am over the moon for D/W!

Re: "The Seasons," as a classically trained musician, I loved it and absolutely agree that it suited V/M perfectly. But can also see how many people might not relate to it. A Canadian columnist (can't remember his name) made the point that it might have been too subtle to have been perceived as a winning program, especially next to something as dramatic and familiar as "Scheherezade," which many casual music lovers and skating fans recognize and which has been used by other skaters, notably Michelle Kwan. The comment re: subtlety really resonated for me.

Today I was comparing "Seasons" w/ V/M's extraordinary 2010 Mahler program, which is one of the few ID performances I'd put on a par w/ Torville/Dean's incredible "Bolero." "Seasons" was breathtaking -- light and ethereal, almost other-worldly. OTOH, the Mahler (equally perfect for V/M) was also more overtly dramatic and thus drew the audience in more easily. And "Scheherezade" of course hooks you right away!

Bottom line: "Seasons" doesn't grab you by the collar but its quietude is uniquely rewarding. It was a beautiful vehicle for V/M.

I so wish there could have been 2 OGMs! For me, both teams were a joy to watch. Both deserved it.

Matt K

On the Ice
I never said D/W suck, someone asked/questioned why the Russian audience didn't give applause to D/W. All I responded was why it may have been so, given their performance. My main point is I disagree with the guy who said there is supposed Anti-American sentiment in Russia because of the whole anti-gay propaganda :rolleye: or whatever excuse it is. At their own US Nationals, they got quite a crowd. Different in Sochi. In fact, the chilly reception was reported by USA's network NBC:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/meryl-da...nski?ctx=olympic-journey#sthash.RaffW5A4.dpuf

Davis and White’s seemingly (to me) brilliant dance was met with quite a lot of silence, and their sky-high score of 116.63 drew more than a few whistles of disagreement.

That quote was from NBC.

I mean, Olenka1213 attended the Ice Dance event in person and reported to us what she saw. People are jumping down her throat for these observations that even NBC is corroborating. Not everyone in the world must be fans of your favorite skaters. It is okay. Some people or cultures have different preferences.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I never said D/W suck....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :rofl: :rofl:

AND it doesn't surprise me that their score probably got whistles. If the Russian audience was deciding it, they probably give I/K the OGM. :laugh:

Matt K

On the Ice
For some reason, the ice rink doesn't look that big to me. Maybe it's just the camera angles. I don't know.