People should say something about the cyberbullying against Sotnikova | Page 3 | Golden Skate

People should say something about the cyberbullying against Sotnikova

usethis2

Medalist
http://instagram.com/adelinasotnikova

^^ is her page. If you click on the photos they enlarge and you can see some of the comments. You'd have to have an account to see all of them.

Thank you. I did just that and I couldn't read most of the comments since they are in Russian/Korean. One comment (among several) in English says "F your mom." That is clearly disgusting and deplorable. Instagram should take action.

Edit: As I say this, I just saw a post saying "Korean's are inbred psycho." Well that user needs to be banned, too, I guess.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I'm with you, pangtong fan. Death threats are inappropriate. Sotnikova didn't judge herself.

But the ISU needs to wake up and smell the coffee; if they do, and they actually go back and admit that those two judges shouldn't have been there (the one guy who got banned for a year in '98 and the woman who's the wife of the head of the Russian Skating federation) and that they did taint the outcome, the terrible behavior exhibited should stop.

(At least, let us sincerely hope so. No one deserves this.)

The moment Putin and Cinquanta put those two on the panel while arranging the event even had Sotnikova or Lipnitskaya actually deserved to win, there achievement would still be doubted. What an incredibly dumb move by figure skating to put that panel out there with the Olympics already in Russia with a Russian technical caller to top it off. Are they really that ignorant to think they could just slide through all that.

SkateToronto

On the Ice
Why are you so surprised over fan behavior? Every huge celebrity has a segment of crazy fans. The beyhive gives death threats to anyone who dares insult beyonce, never mind if their idol loses an award or not.

That doesn't make the behaviour acceptable! What people are posting on Adelina's instagram is disgusting.

Thank you. I did just that and I couldn't read most of the comments since they are in Russian/Korean. One comment (among several) in English says "F your mom." That is clearly disgusting and deplorable. Instagram should take action.

Edit: As I say this, I just saw a post saying "Korean's are inbred psycho." Well that user needs to be banned, too, I guess.

If you're so inclined you can copy them and then paste them into google translate to get the gist. But believe me...it's not pretty.

Symmetry

Rinkside
I just read about the death threats, comments telling Adelina to kill herself, and other attacks on her personal Instagram account and was appalled. :eek: This has completely crossed the line. There is no absolutely no justification for cyberbullying, especially of a child. Yuna is the only person who can talk some sense into these people at this point. Cyberbullying is a very serious problem among young people, and in the US, there have been numerous instances where cyberbullying has lead to death and other tragedy. I'm disappointed that Yuna hasn't said anything about this, to be honest. This is not about the inquiry/petition/protest. But people should be told to voice their opposition to the judging in a civil manner, and to refrain from attacking the athletes on a personal level. There are a lot of young people who look up to Yuna, and she should take this opportunity to tell them that she does not condone cyberbullying and that people should voice their opinions in a peaceful manner.

Ridiculous. Yuna should stay out of this.

If anything, the ISU and IOC are the ones who should take an action to protect innocent Olympians like Adelina and Yuna. What you are saying against Yuna is close to cyberbullying.

aschiutza

On the Ice
Everyone, who has in his power to do something, should do something agains (cyber)bulling. You should not wait that only the police civilized a society, you should take a part too in it!

Saying that: i don't think that Yuna has any idea about this, as i don't think she wóuld look after Instagram of Sotnikova.

In the long term Yuna's image might suffer outside of South-Korea because of this bulling, as it is very classless and low. Her management and real fans would do her a good thing to inform her and if she wants, she might say to her fans (you know that fan comes from fanatics) to stop it.

I won't be disspointed if she doesn't do anything, but i would appreciate her more if she does.

usethis2

Medalist
First, Adelina is not a child. Second, Yuna can take whatever (non)action she wants to take. Third, I am sure Instagram owns the servers and it has power to regulate inappropriate speech. You should petition Instagram.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
That doesn't make the behaviour acceptable! What people are posting on Adelina's instagram is disgusting.

I believe her point was that it's not specific to either South Koreans or Yu Na fans in particular, which is what your earlier post was suggesting. No one (at least not here) is saying the comments are perfectly okay.

evangeline

Record Breaker
First, Adelina is not a child. Second, Yuna can take whatever (non)action she wants to take. Third, I am sure Instagram owns the servers and it has power to regulate inappropriate speech. You should petition Instagram.

Adelina is 17 years old, legally a child in Russia (and in the US and South Korea, as well as many other countries around the world).

Yu-Na has no responsibility towards Adelina and for the actions her fans take. I wish, however, her more zealous fans would take into account how their actions can inadvertently reflect poorly on Yu-Na, who has been nothing but classy, polite and gracious during this whole controversy.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
@Rachmaninoff - I've realized that logical reasoning isn't the strength of a certain number of posters here.

SkateToronto

On the Ice
I believe her point was that it's not specific to either South Koreans or Yu Na fans in particular, which is what your earlier post was suggesting. No one (at least not here) is saying the comments are perfectly okay.

In the context of figure skating it seems to be.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
^Mao Asada's fans.

The argument is also that the greater the celebrity power, the crazier the fanbase. I'd argue that no figure skater right now (except mayyybe Mao) wields the kind of celebrity power Yuna Kim does in her home country. She's more like a Beyonce/Taylor Swift in terms of fame.

verysmuchso

On the Ice
Adelina is 17 years old, legally a child in Russia (and in the US and South Korea, as well as many other countries around the world).

Yu-Na has no responsibility towards Adelina and for the actions her fans take. I wish, however, her more zealous fans would take into account how their actions can inadvertently reflect poorly on Yu-Na, who has been nothing but classy, polite and gracious during this whole controversy.

Maybe those who write on her Instagram page are also legally children. So let children sort it out among themselves. There is only so much Yuna can do.

qwertyskates

Medalist
Actually, I think Kim DID try to say something by skating to IMAGINE in the Gala. Watch her and listen to the words, it's all about putting fights, nationalism aside and coming together. She isn't in Fight Mode rallying her troops, speaking up more clearly against the Sochi outsome, etc., so maybe her Korean and non-Korean fans should LISTEN.

And Mao was also skating to to a similar theme, IT'S A WONDERFUL WORLD, looking all cute and wonderful.

Both of them are class acts.:agree:

arinessa

Rinkside
Maybe those who write on her Instagram page are also legally children. So let children sort it out among themselves. There is only so much Yuna can do.

So bullying is fine by you, if, maybe, those doing the bullying 'are legally children'. Remarkable. Let's condone bullying. Lets condone bullying between children because they are certainly will not grow up thinking it is ok.

arinessa

Rinkside
So bullying is fine by you, if, maybe, those doing the bullying 'are legally children'. Remarkable. Let's condone bullying. Lets condone bullying between children because they are certainly will not grow up thinking it is ok.

*will not grow up

jatale

On the Ice
actually its Yunas dream that will be sabotaged in the long run because of the actions of her bots
it will leave a bad smell for the IOC officials that she wants to have a seat in the future

Seriously, what is wrong with you! All you do is write drivel.

caelum

On the Ice
^Mao Asada's fans.

The argument is also that the greater the celebrity power, the crazier the fanbase. I'd argue that no figure skater right now (except mayyybe Mao) wield the kind of celebrity power Yuna Kim does in her home country. She's more like a Beyonce/Taylor Swift in terms of fame.

Mao's celebrity in Japan isn't really close to Yuna's in Korea, but you are absolutely right here. Yuna's celebrity is really unparalleled in the history of figure skating (maybe Sonja Henie after she became an actress could rival Kim's celebrity). It's important to remember, the vast majority of Yuna's fan's aren't skating fans - they are fans of hers and hers alone. She's a national icon and no other skater has ever had that much reach, and so her fan base is inevitably going to consist of the crazies. Basically, we have celebrity-obsessed wackos out in full force. The kind of people who develop irrational personal relationships with public figures and then feel slighted whenever they feel their "friend" was slighted. It's nothing special about Yuna's fans - any major celebrity's fans, particularly young fans, behave this way.

Again, this observation doesn't make these people's behavior acceptable. It should go without saying that these people suck. One thing I will say though is that Adelina strikes me as a tough girl, she'll be able to handle the nut-jobs.

Also, Kim would be wise to say nothing, there is nothing she can say that can help anyway. I can guarantee you if Kim said a single thing the response from her most rabid fan base would be: "Wow, Yuna's so classy and great, good thing I don't have to be that way - go get that Adelina!!!!" The best thing Yuna could do is keep her mouth shut about this and just let it die out.