Does this mean Abbott is done? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Does this mean Abbott is done?

noskates

Record Breaker
Several thoughts. Why be angry with the USFSA for sending their NATIONAL CHAMPION to Worlds. Regardless of the past, recent or distant, Jeremy did win Nationals and he won it in a very decisive manner, skated beautifully, and looked every bit the champion. And honestly, you can't be mad at a person because they don't skate clean. I expect no one wants to lay down a clean program more than Jeremy!!! So in this case - unless he steps down, it is what it is and people better just shut up and deal with it. It isn't going to change. And another thing to accept - Jeremy is a horrible interviewee. He says things that aren't entirely bad but not necessarily appropriate either. It reminds me of when he would sit in the kiss and cry and make funny faces and do silly things. Maybe in a way he's still a very immature young man. All would be forgiven if he skated clean. He IS a very talented young man on skates - just isn't a good competitor.

On the other hand, IF he does step down, I just listened to an interview that Jason did where he said he spent one day at home in Highland Park and then was in the process of flying back to Colorado to train hard until the very day the World competitors get on the plane. He's going to be ready as he's the first alternate. I love his attitude. And while I wouldn't bestow sainthood on him, he's proven time and again what a sportsman and all around good guy he is.

louisa05

Final Flight
I do not agree to cyber bullying in any form.
Jeremy said he would retire after the Olympics but is now hinting that he will go to worlds. I think he just wants more spotlight, he loves it. You can tell by how long he takes to get to his starting pose and how long he takes to get off the ice when he is done skating. I just see this as him wanting more attention but I could be wrong.
But yes, he has earned his spot on the world team and does deserve to go if he decides to. He may do well since he won't have a whole lot of pressure since this is his last season.

Obviously he is not my favorite skater, I used to like him a lot unfortunately, his comments have turned me off. He has shown an ugly side of himself sorry to say.

He did not say that. He said back at the beginning of the season that he was retiring after this season. The season ends with Worlds.

I'm not sure what the fuss about getting on and off the ice is. The only time he has been slow was after his Nats free skate. He has had his greatest success at Nationals and knew it was his last skate there. I saw that as much the same as when Robin Wagner had Sarah stand at the board and listen to/look at the crowd in SLC. No one crucified either of them for that moment. As for getting to his starting position, he has never violated the time allowed. If he did, he'd be dq'ed for it. So get over it.

BlackPack

Medalist
So does crime?

It's not really a choice of "only praises and kisses" or the opposite. There is also this thing called.... manners? You don't barge into somebody's house and spit them in the face, spill coffee on their carpet deliberately or generally behave in a boorish manner (well, at least I hope not!), why do people consider themselves exempt from common civility on the internet? Because they are anonymous and faceless? And this gives them courage to behave in a manner they'd not in "real life"?

Each and every one who sends someone else a nasty message, individually sat down and thought up something vile to say (see the Adelina thread for examples), chose to write it and send it. Each and every one of those people is individually responsible. You aren't exempt from responsibility just because you're part of a mob. Or because "these things happen".

You can pontificate and moralize all you want, but these things will happen regardless of social norms, rules, laws, and niceties. Accepting it and avoiding it would be better than preaching ad nauseam. He is a public figure after all and human nature is human nature.

Internet law is still largely unregulated. Is there a social media vigilante like Batman? Why don't you do it? Cus it's pointless. People are going to vent any way they like until it becomes illegal or they're caught. Try and make it illegal and another form of venting will emerge.

You don't go to someone's house and spit and destroy their things. There are very specific repercussions to doing that, unless a war is going on. But on social media, you can hit and run, and the worst that can happen is your account gets deleted. The ease of insulting a person without any physical consequences will drive people to do it. Not saying it's right or wrong, but what are you going to do?

Abbott chose to have social media accounts. He also chose to make inflammatory statements. If he doesn't like what's being written on his Twitter or whatever, he can leave or make it private.

That said, I don't see the point of boycotting Jeremy to go to Worlds. Not only is it silly, but he actually earned the right to do so.

taikwan

On the Ice
How about Jeremy think about the future of the U.S. TEAM? About the possibility for returning 3 guys to the next World's? He may have been given that spot but he, and we, know how he bombs if he's skating internationally. Plus his reaction of a massive and public **** you took him permanently off my radar for any type of empathy or sympathy.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackPack

Medalist
How about Jeremy think about the future of the U.S. TEAM? About the possibility for returning 3 guys to the next World's? He may have been given that spot but he, and we, know how he bombs if he's skating internationally. Plus his reaction of a massive and public f**k you took him permanently off my radar for any type of empathy or sympathy.

I'd say if he has the right to go and he wants to do it, go. Who cares about the World Team? Patriotism is hardly the driving force in competition, even though politicians and idealists like to think so. Figure skating is an individual sport. He's out there alone, even if an entire team of people support and help his career. The current bright light in US Men's skating is Jason Brown. None of the other US men are probably going to make a huge impact in Worlds; they're not likely medal contenders, except in the event of a meltdown by the top men.

louisa05

Final Flight
You can pontificate and moralize all you want, but these things will happen regardless of social norms, rules, laws, and niceties. Accepting it and avoiding it would be better than preaching ad nauseam. He is a public figure after all and human nature is human nature.

Internet law is still largely unregulated. Is there a social media vigilante like Batman? Why don't you do it? Cus it's pointless. People are going to vent any way they like until it becomes illegal or they're caught. Try and make it illegal and another form of venting will emerge.

You don't go to someone's house and spit and destroy their things. There are very specific repercussions to doing that, unless a war is going on. But on social media, you can hit and run, and the worst that can happen is your account gets deleted. The ease of insulting a person without any physical consequences will drive people to do it. Not saying it's right or wrong, but what are you going to do?

Abbott chose to have social media accounts. He also chose to make inflammatory statements. If he doesn't like what's being written on his Twitter or whatever, he can leave or make it private.

That said, I don't see the point of boycotting Jeremy to go to Worlds. Not only is it silly, but he actually earned the right to do so.

So...you feel that bullying people on social media is basically okay because everybody does it?

I really hope you don't have to learn the hard way when it is your son or daughter or other loved one who becomes the victim. I mean that sincerely. Harassment and bullying via social media is a serious issue and "what are you going to do?" will not be your answer if you or someone you care about is the target. I also hope that if you have children, you are not communicating to them that it is okay and not "right or wrong" simply because it is difficult to stop. Being involved in online bullying can have disastrous consequences for kids whether they are the perpetrators or the targets.

BlackPack

Medalist
So...you feel that bullying people on social media is basically okay because everybody does it?

I really hope you don't have to learn the hard way when it is your son or daughter or other loved one who becomes the victim. I mean that sincerely. Harassment and bullying via social media is a serious issue and "what are you going to do?" will not be your answer if you or someone you care about is the target. I also hope that if you have children, you are not communicating to them that it is okay and not "right or wrong" simply because it is difficult to stop. Being involved in online bullying can have disastrous consequences for kids whether they are the perpetrators or the targets.

Self-righteous moralizing is just as annoying as bullying.

Did I say it was OK? Nowhere did I say that.

Seriously, grow a backbone. If people pick on you or your favorites, learn to deal with it constructively instead of ranting about how people are victims and perpetrators. Fight back or retreat if you can't win.

hurrah

Medalist
Jeremy has a nice fan base in Japan, and it would probably mean alot for these fans to have a final opportunity to cheer him and give him a good farewell from the sports.

centerpt1

On the Ice
Dear Jason fans: Running down a 4 time national champion is not doing Jason any favors.

Jeremy is a 4 time US champ. Except for his first year, he medaled at least once on the GP each season. He's been as high as 5th at Worlds-and that was after 2010 Olympics, with a conservative skate. He and Adam kept 3 slots for us that year.

I don't know why people want to smear Jeremy - he told that comment after skating a program in pain, while injured- his own family thought he would go out and skate a LP with no jumps at all- he was in severe pain and could not do all his jumps. So- to be harassed by the press at that point- no wonder he cracked. And he did ask permission first.

If you watch the nationals video- he leaves the ice well before the sweepers were done.

If you actually watch his interviews and interactions with fans, he is always polite, respectful, and seems shy and humble.

This smearing of a skater, posting untruths meant to hurt, is bullying.

Jeremy got death threats on social media after his team short.

Really? Death threats over Figure Skating?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Dear Jason fans: Running down a 4 time national champion is not doing Jason any favors.

Jeremy is a 4 time US champ. Except for his first year, he medaled at least once on the GP each season. He's been as high as 5th at Worlds-and that was after 2010 Olympics, with a conservative skate. He and Adam kept 3 slots for us that year.

I don't know why people want to smear Jeremy - he told that comment after skating a program in pain, while injured- his own family thought he would go out and skate a LP with no jumps at all- he was in severe pain and could not do all his jumps. So- to be harassed by the press at that point- no wonder he cracked. And he did ask permission first.

If you watch the nationals video- he leaves the ice well before the sweepers were done.

If you actually watch his interviews and interactions with fans, he is always polite, respectful, and seems shy and humble.

This smearing of a skater, posting untruths meant to hurt, is bullying.

Jeremy got death threats on social media after his team short.

Really? Death threats over Figure Skating?

How do you know it's Jason Brown fans that are giving the death threats? Fans wishing that Jason could go to Worlds =/= all the people bullying Jeremy. Just saying.

I wish Jeremy well at Worlds. But's not mutually exclusive to say I also wish that Jason could be there and skate his programs one last time.

FWIW: Worlds 2010 was a much weaker field than the one we're going to see in 2014. I believe the only folks in the top 10 from the Olympics that will not be there (other than Jason) is Patrick Chan, and even that isn't definite.

And if he's in so much pain and injured as you point out, would it be that smart to go to Worlds?

centerpt1

On the Ice
How do you know it's Jason Brown fans that are giving the death threats? Fans wishing that Jason could go to Worlds =/= all the people bullying Jeremy. Just saying.

I wish Jeremy well at Worlds. But's not mutually exclusive to say I also wish that Jason could be there and skate his programs one last time.

FWIW: Worlds 2010 was a much weaker field than the one we're going to see in 2014. I believe the only folks in the top 10 Olympics that will not be there (other than Jason) is Patrick Chan, and even that isn't definite.

I did not say Jason fans made those threats.

But they have been very vocal here. There will come a day when Jason has a bad competition. Jeremy has one last skate...Jason has an entire career left.

And I'm not sure Jeremy will go to Worlds...it remains to be seen if he can recover from the muscle strain and bruising in enough time to train for Worlds.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I did not say Jason fans made those threats.

But they have been very vocal here.

If I were going to look back at this thread, it's a handful of VERY vocal people. There are plenty of Jason fans that are fine with Jeremy going (and again, wishing that Jason could go somehow).

I don't think it's cool to bully Jeremy (and say as much when he was getting harassed after the Team SP), but looking at the numbers, I believe that Jason (and Max as well) has additional scoring potential he can capitalize on at Worlds. His 158+ PB, which was just two points less than Jeremy's PB, came with a popped jump. He has consistently skated his SP clean all season long. There's a scoring case for Jason to go over Jeremy even if Jeremy won nationals (and let's point out the fact that Jason did beat Jeremy in the FS).

That's my take on the matter.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think it's less the Jason fans that are upset as much as people who want to see the US men do well at Worlds and set us up for next year. I am a Jason fan but I also have respect for Jeremy's abilities. I do think he's earned the right to participate in Worlds (as evidenced by my posts) and if he goes I sincerely hope he caps his career with a great skate! There may be a scoring case for sending Jason over Jeremy but..guess what!....it doesn't work that way!

Quite frankly I'm anxious for Worlds to come and get over with so we can all move on from all the controversies this season, It's really taken away from the enjoyment of the sport. There are too many people who dissect and slice and dice from the comfort of their computer chairs that think they know what it takes to make a champion or what it takes to compete. I find that not only humerous but really disturbing in a way.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think it's less the Jason fans that are upset as much as people who want to see the US men do well at Worlds and set us up for next year. I am a Jason fan but I also have respect for Jeremy's abilities. I do think he's earned the right to participate in Worlds (as evidenced by my posts) and if he goes I sincerely hope he caps his career with a great skate! There may be a scoring case for sending Jason over Jeremy but..guess what!....it doesn't work that way!

Quite frankly I'm anxious for Worlds to come and get over with so we can all move on from all the controversies this season, It's really taken away from the enjoyment of the sport. There are too many people who dissect and slice and dice from the comfort of their computer chairs that think they know what it takes to make a champion or what it takes to compete. I find that not only humerous but really disturbing in a way.

Of course, I know that things don't work the way that people would like (or that evidence provides), but I'm coming from a fact-based analysis. The data shows a case, but of course people don't always make decisions based on those data points.

That data shows that over this season, both Jason and Max have better overall scores, on average, than Jeremy, despite neither them skating clean FS programs (and clean SPs in the case of Max). Of course, it would be fun from a data standpoint for Jeremy to totally fudge with those numbers by skating well at Worlds. :biggrin:

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
He did not say that. He said back at the beginning of the season that he was retiring after this season. The season ends with Worlds.

Actually, I think what people are responding to is that it was originally reported (eg. by Phil Hersh) that the Olympics would be Jeremy's last competition.

There is normally nothing wrong with a National Champion attending Worlds, obviously. I think what some people are upset about is that they think Jeremy is changing his mind and taking a spot away from one of the younger guys that they assumed would have the opportunity to go to Worlds. But perhaps people were wrong about Jeremy's intentions. I noticed after the men's competition in Sochi that Phil Hersh seemed to walk back or clarify his original article on Jeremy's supposed retirement after Sochi.

BarbC

Rinkside
I hope Jeremy and Max skate their absolute best. I want Jeremy on the podium and with Max in the top 10 then US would get 3 spots next year (and Jason would get a much deserved rest). I know Jason would rather be at worlds but if Jeremy could be on the podium this year it would be a great way to end his career and Jason can be on the podium next year!

I agree, mintx. I'd like to see Jeremy Abbott on the podium, too.

I'm still worried about the effects from that terrible fall, though. How did a fall like that not cause serious and lasting injury?

Providing it didn't, Abbott is the US Champ and has the right to retire anywhere he wants. And I'd love to see him skate up to his potential at least once and bring home that World medal. I think that would give him enormous personal satisfaction, and that would lead to bigger and better things in his retirement.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Providing it didn't, Abbott is the US Champ and has the right to retire anywhere he wants. And I'd love to see him skate up to his potential at least once and bring home that World medal. I think that would give him enormous personal satisfaction, and that would lead to bigger and better things in his retirement.

The issue, of course, is that when he doesn't - and let's face it, it's FAR more likely that he won't than he will - he is not just hurting himself, he is hurting the other skaters.

We already know from the team event that he's clearly not a team player, but he's going to look even worse if he bombs at Worlds, too, while Jason sits at home.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
He and Jason are both skating with Stars On Ice. The tour starts quite soon after Worlds. He may have to decide whether his body needs a rest to prepare for the tour.