Does this mean Abbott is done? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Does this mean Abbott is done?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
FWIW, Max currently has the 12th highest season's best in the FS, despite not competing since the GP.

Take out Oda, Plushenko, Voronov and Menshov (since there's only going to be one Russian at Worlds, likely Kovtun) and he goes into 8th.

Max is also one of only FIVE men to score 90+ in TES in the free skate. The others being Hanyu, Chan, Oda and Machida.

Overall Max is 15th in Season's Best as of right now, but there are several guys above him who won't be at Worlds: Nobunari Oda, Sergei Voronov, Jason Brown (waaahhh!), Takahiko Mura and Adam Rippon.

So that puts him in the top 10. In addition, he was not at his absolute best at the competition where he got that score.

Max is great at training and I think he'll peak at Worlds since he hasn't had a competition since Nationals. I think Jason could peak at Worlds as well if he was able to go. Given what we seen in the past, he tends to do a solid job in the fall, sort of muddle through the middle then end strongly.

So that's why I think a Jason/Max combo is most ideal, but perhaps Jeremy can prove us all wrong.

Thx for all the stats, Mrs. P. :) Glad to know that Top Ten for Max is not unrealistic.

And I think it is safe to say that he will be very motivated to deliver at Worlds. In addition to applying his usual competitive drive:
(1) He will want to end the season with a bang -- esp. in Japan, to supersede memories of NHK.
(2) Alongside Abbott, Max will do his part to give three slots for next year his best shot. No one understands better than Max how precious the third spot is.​

vtgal

Rinkside
My two cents....Jeremy is a wonderful skater who has never lived up to his potential in international competitions, didn't do so at the Olympics and won't do so at World's. I have no sympathy for him with respect to the flack he has gotten....he has brought it on himself by never conquering his nerves. Other skaters have faced similar issues and have overcome them (Kostner) or retired (Czisny). He needs to retire, and let the next generation of US men take over. I think that Jason and Max, based on their finishes at the Olympics and last year's Worlds give us the best combination right now. Bye, bye Jeremy.

Sneaka

Rinkside
My two cents....Jeremy is a wonderful skater who has never lived up to his potential in international competitions, didn't do so at the Olympics and won't do so at World's. I have no sympathy for him with respect to the flack he has gotten....he has brought it on himself by never conquering his nerves. Other skaters have faced similar issues and have overcome them (Kostner) or retired (Czisny). He needs to retire, and let the next generation of US men take over. I think that Jason and Max, based on their finishes at the Olympics and last year's Worlds give us the best combination right now. Bye, bye Jeremy.

From your fingertips to Jeremy's ears (or eyes) ..... Please! I hope he does not go to Worlds and gives Jason the opportunity to get more experience. But he seems like he has a tough time letting go ......

RoundedBackCamel

On the Ice
Wow! The cruelty on this thread is unreal! I knew I would regret opening it. Why would anyone relish such talent and promised unrealized after so many years of hard work? I think Jeremy's reaction was totally understandable given how just a few posts are making me feel sick to my stomach (ok, now you all can talk about Jeremy's puke face, being such clever wits as you are).

mintx

On the Ice
I hope Jeremy and Max skate their absolute best. I want Jeremy on the podium and with Max in the top 10 then US would get 3 spots next year (and Jason would get a much deserved rest). I know Jason would rather be at worlds but if Jeremy could be on the podium this year it would be a great way to end his career and Jason can be on the podium next year!

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
Well Jeremy does have a twitter page. Enough people twitter him he might change his mind. How Cruel of me.

You need to step off. There is no reason for anyone to harass an athlete or anyone else via social media. Put yourself in their shoes. Bullying is uncalled for.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well Jeremy does have a twitter page. Enough people twitter him he might change his mind. How Cruel of me.

Jason would be horrified that you suggested such a thing. It might even make him stop smiling.

I'd rather see Jason than Jeremy and that's no secret. But I do not condone cyberbullying - and this truly is cyberbullying.

Jason will, I imagine, be sitting on his couch with his laptop, probably decked from head to toe in red, white and blue, and cheering on Jeremy and Max. And I'll bet he wishes it was him, but he's a good enough man to support them anyway, just like Max tweeting supportive things the day after he watched Jeremy waste the Olympic spot he just missed out on. Thank god they're better men than you.

Sneaka

Rinkside
This talk of "cyber bullying" is ridiculous. Jeremy is a public figure and as such, the public has a right to state whether they want him to represent the US. It is the same as giving feedback to a politician. Clearly not on the same level, but it is the same. Let's face it, Jeremy put himself out there in the public's eye and that is where he wanted to be. If he cannot face the scrutiny and the feedback (positive or negative), then he should either leave or grow a pair.

louisa05

Final Flight
This talk of "cyber bullying" is ridiculous. Jeremy is a public figure and as such, the public has a right to state whether they want him to represent the US. It is the same as giving feedback to a politician. Clearly not on the same level, but it is the same. Let's face it, Jeremy put himself out there in the public's eye and that is where he wanted to be. If he cannot face the scrutiny and the feedback (positive or negative), then he should either leave or grow a pair.

No. You have it wrong. If some people want to say on this forum that they personally think Jeremy should give up his place on the World team, that falls into what you define. But harassing him on his own social media account for the purpose of forcing him off the World team is bullying. Athletes are not politicians. You may state your opinion about an issue to a politician in any platform available to you (presuming you live in the U.S. or other country with democratic elections) because it is their duty to represent your interests. Jeremy does not represent your interests and you were not given the privilege of electing him. He represents the interests of U.S. Figure Skating. Beyond that, he is indeed afforded the rights of a private citizen. That is why if libeled in the press, Jeremy may file a lawsuit whereas the President of the United States may not.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Jason would be horrified that you suggested such a thing. It might even make him stop smiling.

I'd rather see Jason than Jeremy and that's no secret. But I do not condone cyberbullying - and this truly is cyberbullying.

Jason will, I imagine, be sitting on his couch with his laptop, probably decked from head to toe in red, white and blue, and cheering on Jeremy and Max. And I'll bet he wishes it was him, but he's a good enough man to support them anyway, just like Max tweeting supportive things the day after he watched Jeremy waste the Olympic spot he just missed out on. Thank god they're better men than you.

Okay let's not go overboard. Jason has amazing charm on and off the ice but let's not elect him to sainthood. He is a competitor and while he has been taught and ingrained to say the"right" things to the media aka Miss America answers he wants to compete or he woldn't be skating at this level. I do agree Jason's charisma will take him far with or without talent and a quad :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am not a huge fan of Jeremy's skating. I kind of don't want him now to win a world medal just because he has been far too inconsistent and really unlike Kostner or Chan his programs and skating skills to me aren't as interesting (and they have a much higher likelihood and have performed cleanly or relatively cleanly). Still I don't like him being bullied or pushed off the team. Besides Jason isn't all that it appears anyways at least from his results at the olympics. He has huge potential but who knows..

louisa05

Final Flight
Okay let's not go overboard. Jason has amazing charm on and off the ice but let's not elect him to sainthood. He is a competitor and while he has been taught and ingrained to say the"right" things to the media aka Miss America answers he wants to compete or he woldn't be skating at this level. I do agree Jason's charisma will take him far with or without talent and a quad :)

Wants to compete, yes. Wants fans to harass his teammate via social media for his benefit...I highly doubt that. And disapproving of that really would not be enough to qualify him for sainthood, either.

Skatetomusic

On the Ice
Sorry everyone, I shouldn't have said anything earlier. I don't believe in harassing people anyway. I just wish Jason could go to Worlds.

tulosai

Record Breaker
No. You have it wrong. If some people want to say on this forum that they personally think Jeremy should give up his place on the World team, that falls into what you define. But harassing him on his own social media account for the purpose of forcing him off the World team is bullying. Athletes are not politicians. You may state your opinion about an issue to a politician in any platform available to you (presuming you live in the U.S. or other country with democratic elections) because it is their duty to represent your interests. Jeremy does not represent your interests and you were not given the privilege of electing him. He represents the interests of U.S. Figure Skating. Beyond that, he is indeed afforded the rights of a private citizen. That is why if libeled in the press, Jeremy may file a lawsuit whereas the President of the United States may not.

This. Further, whether they are smart enough to realize it or not, the people who want Jeremy off the World team in reality have a far greater problem with the USFSA than with Jeremy. The USFSA is who named him to the Worlds team, who continues to name him to the Worlds team, and who named him to the Worlds team knowing his past history and before seeing how well or poorly he and Jason preformed at Olys. In electing to take the spot the USFSA offered him, Jeremy is not really doing anything SO different than if my boss offered me a piece of cake, but I knew my co worker REALLY wanted it too and probably deserved it more than me, and despite knowing that, because I was offered the cake and did also REALLY want it myself, I took it anyway. Of course this is on a different scale, but I would argue it's the same on a fundamental level.

He has every right to take the spot that was given to him and that many would argue he 'earned' by placing first at Nationals. I am neither in the he 'earned' it camp nor, actually, in the wanting him to go to Worlds camp. I have been fairly vocal on the forum recently about not liking Abbot on a variety of levels. But to suggest that he should be harassed personally and directly online for taking something that he arguably earned and that was definitely freely offered to him is really beyond the pale.

BlackPack

Medalist
I don't agree with cyberbullying but it happens. I don't agree with poverty either but it happens.

By being on social media, you are open to being judged, criticized, and harassed. If you want less of that, simply delete the account. Some people just expect praises and kisses on social media and act surprised when they get the opposite. Social media makes a person vulnerable; it's not just fun and games.

I had a bit of a Jeremy marathon on Youtube. Regardless of whether you like his style as a human being and as a skater, he is awfully talented. When he's clean, he's fantastic.

As a fan I hope he goes for a World medal. Given his record, it is unlikely, but it's his last chance and they did give him a spot.

louisa05

Final Flight
I don't agree with cyberbullying but it happens. I don't agree with poverty either but it happens.

By being on social media, you are open to being judged, criticized, and harassed. If you want less of that, simply delete the account. Some people just expect praises and kisses on social media and act surprised when they get the opposite. Social media makes a person vulnerable; it's not just fun and games.

There is so much wrong with this, I don't even know where to begin. Just because something happens does not mean it is okay and we must accept it. And using social media does not mean anyone has consented to accepting harassment. Harassment and bullying is always wrong regardless of the platform or target. Period.

LRK

Record Breaker

So does crime?

I had a bit of a Jeremy marathon on Youtube. Regardless of whether you like his style as a human being and as a skater, he is awfully talented. When he's clean, he's fantastic.

As a fan I hope he goes for a World medal. Given his record, it is unlikely, but it's his last chance and they did give him a spot.

It's not really a choice of "only praises and kisses" or the opposite. There is also this thing called.... manners? You don't barge into somebody's house and spit them in the face, spill coffee on their carpet deliberately or generally behave in a boorish manner (well, at least I hope not!), why do people consider themselves exempt from common civility on the internet? Because they are anonymous and faceless? And this gives them courage to behave in a manner they'd not in "real life"?

Each and every one who sends someone else a nasty message, individually sat down and thought up something vile to say (see the Adelina thread for examples), chose to write it and send it. Each and every one of those people is individually responsible. You aren't exempt from responsibility just because you're part of a mob. Or because "these things happen".

louisa05

Final Flight
So does crime?

It's not really a choice of "only praises and kisses" or the opposite. There is also this thing called.... manners? You don't barge into somebody's house and spit them in the face, spill coffee on their carpet deliberately or generally behave in a boorish manner (well, at least I hope not!), why do people consider themselves exempt from common civility on the internet? Because they are anonymous and faceless? And this gives them courage to behave in a manner they'd not in "real life"?

Each and every one who sends someone else a nasty message, individually sat down and thought up something vile to say (see the Adelina thread for examples), chose to write it and send it. Each and every one of those people is individually responsible. You aren't exempt from responsibility just because you're part of a mob. Or because "these things happen".

There we go, LRK. That's where to begin. Thanks.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I hope Jeremy goes if that's what he wants. Japan would be a good place to end his carrier. He is popular and has lots of fans there :thumbsup:

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I do not agree to cyber bullying in any form.
Jeremy said he would retire after the Olympics but is now hinting that he will go to worlds. I think he just wants more spotlight, he loves it. You can tell by how long he takes to get to his starting pose and how long he takes to get off the ice when he is done skating. I just see this as him wanting more attention but I could be wrong.
But yes, he has earned his spot on the world team and does deserve to go if he decides to. He may do well since he won't have a whole lot of pressure since this is his last season.

Obviously he is not my favorite skater, I used to like him a lot unfortunately, his comments have turned me off. He has shown an ugly side of himself sorry to say.